Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Buying motorbike for child

Cricky

My child is 15yo, eligible for motorbike license but the DLT refuse my child to purchase a motorbike in their name.

I've tried a few of the local DLT inspection stations but they say must be 18yo.

Anyone know anything different?

Screenshot_2023-08-14-18-59-54-49_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

27 minutes ago, Cricky said:

My child is 15yo, eligible for motorbike license but the DLT refuse my child to purchase a motorbike in their name.

I've tried a few of the local DLT inspection stations but they say must be 18yo.

Anyone know anything different?

Screenshot_2023-08-14-18-59-54-49_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Then that is the rules, which will not change for you. 15 year olds can ride up to 110cc.

You could register it in your name, or even a family members name.......:thumbsup:

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, transam said:

15 year olds can ride up to 110cc.

The DLT inspection station didn't look at the bike.

Their only concern was the age on ID card

Edited by Cricky

Just now, Cricky said:

Waiting to buy a bike to do the test

Better that he rent a bike to do the actual test. From one of the examiners, of course ????

You can still buy one without registering it so he can practise without going on the highway.

You cannot be the only one stuck in this Catch-22 situation.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Better that he rent a bike to do the actual test. From one of the examiners, of course ????

You can still buy one without registering it so he can practise without going on the highway.

You cannot be the only one stuck in this Catch-22 situation.

Yes, agree, it's a horrible loop like most things in Thailand, that's why I thought of asking here.

Thanks everyone for your input ????

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Yes of course they do. Kids under 18 years are limited to 110cc so they obviously produce machines for that market. The Honda Moove is one that I know of at 108cc. The Honda Wave also has a 110cc variant.

P.S. This is the answer you'll get if you put your question to chatGPT:

'In Thailand, you need to be at least 18 years old to legally buy a motorcycle'.

Thanks for your feedback.

I reckon this is the issue

'at least 18yo to legally buy a motorcycle'

Thanks everyone ????

Edited by Cricky
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, 2long said:

Sorry but if the OP wants to put a 15 year old child on any motorcycle here, then it's game over! Thai roads are too dangerous, especially for a child to drive a motor vehicle.

I've had and ridden bikes for over 40 years, and I ride a scooter in outer BKK. Would I let either of my kids loose on one? NEVER!

6 hours ago, nightfox said:

I have seen way to many kids, especially in the villages where parent don't have a care in the world killed and seriously hurt in accidents all the time. My son is 16 and I would never let him ride a bike.

What's the best way to get a kid to do something? Say 'No you can't!'

Far better to have some input and control rather than to have them go behind your back. Because they will, peer pressure will insure that they will.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My experience here in Pattaya.  Take him to a school it is a lot quicker 3000-4000 baht when finished all he had to do is turn paperwork and get photo. 

As far as licence and size it might be on paper but I never heard anyone being cited by police in my son case I purchase under my name a 125 wave HR has been stopped a number of times check and off he went. 

I myself have had a license for over 15 years been stopped numerous time in fact I welcome it originally I started with s 110, now regularly 150 PCX.

Yes Click starts at 125 just get a residential certificate to buy.