Different ways to how a company can get rid of you.

I have been working for a tech company for more than 3 years.

At the end of last year business hasn't been very good as we have lost some of our major clients.

So at the beginning of this year the company has let a lot of people go. The company pays them what is required by local and the notice period in their contact.

However, after that there has been a shift in style of management and a lot of micro managing and pulling people up for silly little mistakes. Even if you can explain they tend to say these things,  no excuses, or you need to improve yourself, or you have really slowed down, etc. I can understand the middle management is under pressure and this could be the reason why. I find its best to ignore these comments than getting into a argument and risk being fired. But its very annoying.

However, in my team there seems to be extra pressure on the team members to complete unrealistic tasks and deadlines. This has created a very stressful work environment. It seems to us they don't want to lay off team members but to pressure them to resign by constantly telling them to improve.

I am wondering what are the steps to be fired. I would imagine they would put you on a months probation and if you don't improve they will fire you. However, if you have done nothing wrong and only them saying you haven't improved do they still need to pay the local law (3 months, 6 months, etc) and the notice period? Or can they just come up to you and say your are fired and give no severance package? 

By law they have to provide notice and pay severance.

Sounds llke they may be trying to harass people into quitting to save themselves that expense. 

If they start to do anything formal (written warnings etc as opposed to verbal) go talk to your local Labor office for advice. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Sounds llke they may be trying to harass people into quitting to save themselves that expense. 

I agree that that is likely.

If the company earns less money, or even lose money, then the last they would want to do is pay lots of severance pay to people who don't bring any money to the company anymore.

Maybe look for other, better, options. It's definitely better that you have a new job lined up compared to looking for a job when you get fired (maybe because the company is bankrupt). 

48 minutes ago, karl2007 said:

I find its best to ignore these comments than getting into a argument and risk being fired

I’ve done a lot technical work in my field where strict narrow specifications are required to adhere to, best practice is to follow protocol and procedures. In my experience, whether you’re an independent contractor or employee, agree and focus on being better than the day before, every day.

48 minutes ago, karl2007 said:

But its very annoying.

Ignore that aspect.

I wonder if it’s an out of country company?

Wish you the best of luck 

Edited by novacova

• 4 weeks later...