Which Dickensian Character Are YOU? Miss Havisham? Uriah Heep? Who?

My Dear Fellow-Literati,

Have you ever taken a moment to consider which Dickensian character most represents you, your personality traits, your quirks?

I often think about this question, and I would probably require more than one.

I tend toward the embodiment of Wilkins Micawber on a good day.

geN8uCLDmoSIGxWpsuD5ClTCA3gvX0EQI8BQtLkoAfSHEWcIuZY4QUJmdsXS9BsrZPiRDRkkq4IbzOt7iGhctPd-i6vvQF_NwD8UiKMgw1hOV4IMhZTEQP66Vg17IA704UuTZLP1i3emDOSfpuBJ9xY

“Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pound ought and six, result misery.”

But, what about you?

For example:

bSefu_hf8iPmhYIoy3AWcfiMuH7iGDyS-6T11LkrsYJqjoAhranWPq9B1dGAPFb1sGCOLUlVA95uwnD4q9AHuSEj811s2xbsTvoFKvzNtpWmadLsPC8Jp1NSlWRvKNpGLP_lMwWr3wTV5IwOi5-0qug

6PKoj3k3mjyIJN1GMc4XPYM8NJPXoHO4R4NAmBbZ55nQ7ZjtqFZlp716otADBa_rF8jBHkTs2GxRYcXig_G4YgnJPazeRVtt0Ug4hcF9DnuGdrRCj4mobjHNxu0Bmlu89WIdRwa6G4cb4VgytI8nLVs

Who does not love sycophancy, after all?

rfRa0zvb79c1lLQnhnPlonSYfvCgQvwQ22BnMiiMKeRvFBMgk2xSUw2bxZy0Wal4CFmoxDi6NvrAJG8imYsRLRMeVWuyk6GydjPrF_EvAEvO7ptqqU95qooKeXXJSbhWc4h1WRNs3MA7vL8meXVeXKQ

1FzeQSLOJqmV8EQMi1PE5pCqH0O4Nfy5JH8BCYWy37CNQ9ypmKDURkFyisFdvWu8dkIv--Z8DF_JxhCHYuZCrHczYlonk3cJo51uOH8u2jkmDJLyYbgx_HtnCdetrAXMZ-P6mORpMb9N9q1uQ5f88wc

So which of these, or some of the many others, reminds you most of yourself?

The thing about Dickens is that,

He is one of the greatest writers that ever lived,

And he wrote in English,

Which is quite lucky for us, here.

7cL1HEyPzjVqC9GVD48A_z0mkI1J2Jp1m4Mrusn0bVAHeGrfVFnqpwpUI6CZILCoqf45XwSiy1MubcxxnpeIQq4XVJI1BbAfR7w28ChBT7CEzaWn_Ib3yu9aYy38lNf2VaS0eLtuogQvUWQg-38sS_A

Don’t be bashful, friends…

Out with it!

Who are you….REALLY…?

Regards,

Gamma

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1

5 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

Sydney Carlton.

Carton & Darnay = Charles Dickens?

You can call me (Gamma) Carton, too.

I could, so ignobly/nobly, die for a good yellow woman.

At least, I have often wished that I had.

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Love It 1

I could never finish a Dickens novel (not for want of trying). Dickens' characters are unconvincing, his children characters come across as though they were 60 years old. His writing is unwieldy. His humour is lame.

12 minutes ago, JackGats said:

I could never finish a Dickens novel (not for want of trying). Dickens' characters are unconvincing, his children characters come across as though they were 60 years old. His writing is unwieldy. His humour is lame.

I read a lot of Dickens in high school, and you're right.

It's more understandable when you know he was paid by the word and wrote a lot of it in installments for some publisher.

Every pence counts ya know.

Makes me wonder if AN is paying GG by the word too.

Edited by RocketDog
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have tried reading a few of the novels and found them very heavy going. There is a dramatisation available on the BBC iplayer ( I access with a VPN) called Dickensian. It is an amalgamation of several of the novels and encompasses many characters. I found it very watchable.

38 minutes ago, Keeps said:

I have tried reading a few of the novels and found them very heavy going. There is a dramatisation available on the BBC iplayer ( I access with a VPN) called Dickensian. It is an amalgamation of several of the novels and encompasses many characters. I found it very watchable.

Be persistent in your Dickens' readings...

And you shall very soon reap your many rewards.