Philippines Versus Thailand. Trip Report

KenUdon

This was a great thread.

Would anyone like to contribute to a Thailand versus Indonesia comparison?

Why would ANYONE consider Indonesia as a possible place to retire. Indonesia is a MUSLIM country! Say no more!... :D

Yawn.... Talk about stereotyping! :D No reason to indirectly criticize another religion which may not be one you personally follow.

Just to say great topic, albeit it was started 3 years ago! (Txs for pointing that out Samran, I hadn't cottoned on! :o ). Interesting to hear others experiences - thanks for sharing.

Must admit though that although I have a number of Filipino friends here in BKK, it is not a place that has jumped out at me to visit. Whereas, I love Indonesia and would be really interested to hear other comparisons and yes, I DO know it's a Muslim country....

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sterile?

It is not all Desert - it has a very stunning Mountainous Area

in the South - suitable for a Day Trip from Dubai.

Dubai has several VERY Beautiful Shopping Malls

one with a Ski Slope attached - full of Ice & Snow

There are many very good Restaurants.

It has the Worlds Tallest Hotel (7 star) and many 5 Star ones.

It is building the Worlds Tallest Tower and Biggest Shopping Mall

It does have night clubs

But I grant it is not for everybody.

Bill

I'm aware of all the fantastic development including the world's tallest tower, shopping malls, hotels, fun parks and reclaimed islands. It's great if you want to live in an artificial city built in a desert. A 7 star hotel charging a minimum of $5000 per night is a little out of my budget. :o

I don't know about the "biggest shopping Mall" because there's a new one in Manila that comes pretty close to being the world's largest...i.e. Asia Mall. There's even an Olympic size ice skating rink in there.

In the end, Dubai is really only interested in attracting very rich people and the city is designed to replace oil income when it runs dry in the not too distant future.

Hey

excelent and most informative post.

Few Questions Phili to Thailand.

How does the weather compare

Analysis of the Ex-Pat community

How secure did you feel

Do you feel that this is a worthwhile option

I love the exuberance of the Filipino people, especially when outside the country. Inside it they can be a bit overwhelming.

The big thing that would put me off living there is the security issue. I'd be looking over my shoulder all the time.

Great singers though.

Check out my book, 'The Filipina Helpers' Handbook'... sadly out of print.

I love the exuberance of the Filipino people, especially when outside the country. Inside it they can be a bit overwhelming.

The big thing that would put me off living there is the security issue. I'd be looking over my shoulder all the time.

Great singers though.

Funny you should say that. I look over my shoulder constantly where I live in Pattaya because there's a lot of nasty, agressive people around...and more so than when I lived in the Philippines. The people who don't are just people unaware of the lurking dangers.

It would be great if people could realise that the Philippines is more than just Manila.

Great singers though.

Funny you should say that. I look over my shoulder constantly where I live in Pattaya because there's a lot of nasty, agressive people around...and more so than when I lived in the Philippines. The people who don't are just people unaware of the lurking dangers.

It would be great if people could realise that the Philippines is more than just Manila.

Indeed , it would also be great if people could realise that Thailand is more than just Pattaya.

Edited by chonabot

Indeed , it would also be great if people could realise that Thailand is more than just Pattaya.

I do, that's why I mentioned that I live in Pattaya rather than making a blanket statement about crime in Thailand as a whole.

The fact is that there are good and bad places (for crime) in both countries and unless a person has vast experience in both the comparisons will be limited.

If you'd seen an earlier post you would have understood this.

I do, that's why I mentioned that I live in Pattaya rather than making a blanket statement about crime in Thailand as a whole.

The fact is that there are good and bad places (for crime) in both countries and unless a person has vast experience in both the comparisons will be limited.

If you'd seen an earlier post you would have understood this.

No problems , I wasn't having a dig , just taking advantage of a comparison analysis. I love Patts as much as Isaan .

:o

No problems , I wasn't having a dig , just taking advantage of a comparison analysis. I love Patts as much as Isaan .

:o

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy living in Patts just the same as I enjoyed living in SOME places in the Philippines. You couldn't pay me enough to live in Manila, on the other hand I wouldn't much enjoy living in Bangkok either...I just don't like big cities anywhere.

Indonesia is a pretty enough place and has great potential, however the visa situation is ten times worse than Thailand.

Unless you want to get married you face a visa run every thirty days!

It does have some of the prettiest girls in SE Asia IMO though.

Indonesian visas are NOT "10X worse than Thailand". 7-day/30-day paid visa-on-arrival. 60-day tourist visas. 60-day social/visit visas renewable in-country twice (try that in Thailand), to give 6 months in-country. Retirement and marriage/settlement visas are also available.

And yes, some real beauties it's true, without the hyper Barbie-doll looks and attitudes of Thailand!

Indonesia is a pretty enough place and has great potential, however the visa situation is ten times worse than Thailand.

Unless you want to get married you face a visa run every thirty days!

It does have some of the prettiest girls in SE Asia IMO though.

Indonesian visas are NOT "10X worse than Thailand". 7-day/30-day paid visa-on-arrival. 60-day tourist visas. 60-day social/visit visas renewable in-country twice (try that in Thailand), to give 6 months in-country. Retirement and marriage/settlement visas are also available.

And yes, some real beauties it's true, without the hyper Barbie-doll looks and attitudes of Thailand!

You'd expect some beauties in a country with a population of 235 million...almost 4x as many as Thailand and more than double as many as the Philippines.

Right guys some of you have PMd me before on this so keep it sweet okay - the topic is about Phil v Thailand ... not Indo. And it's not about women :D

It's kinda weird having a Phil v Thailand debate while admitting it has nothing to do with women. :o

About visas:

It's possible to stay in the Philippines now for 2 years without leaving...as a tourist!

If a person marries a Filipino, they won't be kicked out if they run out of money...family first! You get a one year Balikbayan visa and no visa runs will be necessary and no proof of funds will ever be required.

The total cost of tourist visa extensions for one year if a person doesn't pay the express fee is under 8,000 baht over a year, and about 10,000 for 16 months.

Is six months long enough to make a firm opinion on any country?

If anyone came on this forum and started sounding off about Thailand on the basis of six months they'd be given very short shrift indeed. OK six months is more that a brief holiday and is a good start but you've only just scratched the surface and are still a relative newbie.

Great singers though.

I constantly felt uneasy in Downtown Cebu

Especially when going to an ATM

So many people just standing around - seemingly doing nothing.

On the other hand I felt very safe in many areas of Manila

- even on their suburban trains.

Bill

Enjoyed reading all of your comments.

Funny that nobody has mentioned that most, if not all, Filipinas have bad teeth, hence, wear (poorly-made) dentures!!! I am told it is caused by too much vinegar in their food.

Thais have much nicer teeth.

Great singers though.

I really am wondering if you are joking here. I am TOTALLY paranoid in the Philipines and during normal hours normally feel quite safe anywhere in Thailand.

The desk clerks in the Philipines warn you not to take more than $5.00 or your passport outside of the hotel because the POLICE will rob you and make you pay to get your passport back. If you take a taxi and it turns off the main street, they tell you to jump out and run. The Philipines is a dangerous place. There is just no comparison. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

I just spend 5 months there as well as the OP. I will not start to tell about it, just say that Philipines is an absolutely and total SHITHOLE!!! Stay away from it folks. Stay away!

Nice first post! care to explain why? or do you work for the thai tourist board or something??

Mark

Thanks for calling me and my post dumbass. I guess such comments comes from a sophisticated human. -Care to explain why my post is a dumbass post? I clearly state, that I will not explain why I call Philippines a shithole. Why does that make my post stupid?

But OK, for you my dear, I will make an exception: Philippine mentality is mainly ruled by fear, angst. The mentality lacks of belief (in everything, including other fellow humans), you are confronted with dis-trust absolutely everywhere and most people seem to be discontent with their life situation. You have to prove yourself ALL the time. The control in the airport (restrictions set by the Americans, btw.) is ridiculous and totally out of proportion with the virtual danger. Even in the smallest super markets, you and your back are being searched by a (normally armed) guard. I asked some of the taxi drivers, why they CONSTANTLY beep their horns, and most told me, that then it was more safe to drive ;-) The drivers are sure, that the next car they meet on the street, surely will crash into them. Often I pressed the horn for 2-3 min consecutively and at the same time told the driver, that now he was a lot more safe. But for some reason he didn't look very happy.

This inherited idea (must be a kind of tradition), that everything you meet in life represent a danger (and only that), makes the philippines think about SAFETY, SAFETY, SAFETY all the time. All this safety suffocated you. You cannot breath. And it is, of course, always a very bad feeling, that noone trusts you. That noone believe in you. That you are always thrown suspicion to. And on the other hand: I'm not sure, that all these restrictions make you more safe. If a terrorist really wanted to bring a bomb on the plane, I'm absolutely sure, he could do that.

The mentality is generally negative, contracting, tensioning. Here is and example from my time there, just to give the readers an idea of how philippine mentality works: I was with a very nice girl, I dated the same day, on a hotel in Manila. A brand new one. 1 meter from the bed, on the wall, was hanging a new, nice television. One day she arrived, I was lying in the bed, looking some mass from some church in the TV. After awhile, she sat down and said: Oh, that is dangerous. What if one day we have an earthquake, then maybe the television will fall down in the bed on you when you sleep. Well, of course it theoretically COULD happen, but the likelihood is somewhere under one to a billion, I will estimate. I think you catch my point.

Well, one time (have been there 3 times, last time 5 months) in the airport, I got enough of all that stupid control procedure, so I told the guard, that I had a bomb in my back. Just to make fun but also at the same time tell the staff there, how sick and tired I am of all that dis-trust. For some reason, he didn't laugh. He ordered (in PI, everyone give strick orders, everyone seem to be their own little dictator) me to follow him to an office. On our way to that office, he showed me a sign, on which was written, that it is punishable to make jokes about carrying bombs. When I entered the office, where an old, senior officer where sitting, he told me, that he had the right to jail me. I am a free man (financially independent, no wife and children, etc.), so I would actually like to see a philippine jail from inside for a couple of weeks, so I gave back, telling him, that it is very offending to show this level of dis-trust to innocent tourists. Well, I was let off with a warning.

The philippine peoples attention is very much turned outwards. It is definately not the country of meditation. And again, their attention is normally not directed towards the good in life, but the, normally non-existing, danger. It is not easy to relax there and be yourself, because you are "hit" (woken up, like you have you face slapped) all the time by philippines, who confront you for a countless number of reasons. Never relaxed, guards up.

As the OP states, the philippines must be the most ruthless, disrespectful people on earth. They are extremely direct in their attitudes and at the same time very egocentric and greedy (ALSO the girls, some of them are just very smart). One day I was jogging on the street, a child "beggar" (wearing new clothes, some of it Nike) - maybe at the age of 8-9 - just suddenly yelled to me from the other side of the road: Give me your money! -Omg. Another day, I was just ignoring (not looking at) some child beggars who were pulling my clothes (close to Fuente, in direction of Abiljana stadion), and then when they gave up, after following me maybe 100-150 meter down the street, their only comment was: ###### you! Nice kids. I wonder where they got this very nice behaviour?!! Their parent maybe?!

The mentality is very, very american. The culture is american. More than asian. Much more. Philippines have this smart-ass attitude which lacks of essence. No roots, soul, not much identity. When you are served, for example at most restaurants (e.g. Shakeys at Fuente), the behaviour of the staff is so superficial, that I really couldn't take it. One time I told the waiter please just to behave normally. I am quite sure, that the staff are total slaves, because of the high rate of unemployment (50% in Manila and little less in Cebu, as far as I was told by the locals in both cities) and are told by the manager to behave that ridiculous way. I feel sorry for them. I just couldn't take this feigned attitude there.

Of course the state of buildings, roads, cars, etc. are a lot worse than, say, Thailand. And always to look at something worn-down and ugly, of course also affects the mood and impression of the country in a negative way.

Accommodation in Cebu and Manila is, in my opinion, in line with the prices in Bangkok when we are talking about living space; however, the condition of accommodation in Bangkok is just of a lot higher standard. And accessibility easier. I have to disagree with the OP here.

The stronger religion in a country, the higher level of consciousness is needed, in order to make the religion have a constructive influence on the people. Philippines are poorly educated. Yes, around 50% have a bechelors degree (so I was told by the many locals I asked), but my impression was definately, that the level in the universities generally is low, compared to, say, western standards. Philippines generally seem ignorant, to me. At the same time most philippines fight bad household economies. Of course this cocktail doesn't give a very nice result. Many people seem to support and use (maybe abuse) the religion as a kind of "drug", in order to survive their miserable life (which basically is a result of the mentality). One of the results of this is, that the culture has a very thin surface of piety, but beneath is the opposite. A lie. The Philippines is very much one big lie. An illusion. Illusion of stupidity!

The girls. Hehe. Of course 99.8% of the girls are after your money, blue eyes, white skin, height, opportunity to flee the country, etc. Filipinas are NOT submissive, generally, as some people in this forum has said (e.g. peaceblondie). They are just raisen to create a family (and to be virgins until they marry, etc.), be family oriented, BUT with 50% unemployment and 6-8000 piso (12000 for a high payed one) for a normal job, of course they make a big efford to get the "rich, white man" interested in them - also if this includes put-on submissiveness. Noone in PI with a normal salary has a chance in life to buy a house, give each teenager their own room, different amenities, etc. The girls are like the rest of the inhabitants there: fearful, greedy, superficially religious, dominant, demanding, etc.

I could go on with this, but it's already more than enough. This is just a minor extract from my experiences from that shithole.

OF COURSE, there are many nice, honest people in PI. There are nice people everywhere. I just wanted to give people my impression of some of the MANY, MANY problems you most likely will encounter as a tourist or citizen in PI. Actually it is a little hard for me to find something positive there, except for practical issues (visa easy and cheap (again opposite OP's opinion), availability of girls are so easy you cannot believe it, almost everyone speaks useful english, etc.). The Philippines doesn't seem to have much to offer anyone. Just stay away from that dump. That's my advise. In short.

PS: No, I am not working for the thai tourist board. Just wanted to mention that for the good order ;-) Yes, I like Thailand very much, but I have not praised this country in my former post, just told truth about The Philippines.

Was this the post that 'pvn' got banned for ?!? .. ok , it sounds a bit harsh/critical, but Definitely NOT flaming ! Reading it just makes me recall my trips to Phils.. pretty much spot on !! Oh :o & i almost fought one official in NAIA Airport, they were trying to get scam me , & i was trying to push the bastard to his office, so i can call my embasy from there ! Btw. 6-7 years back they got into one diplomatic scandal after 'arresting' brother of the Kiribati honorary consul from Hong Kong, who is my friend, they got themselves into newspapers also.. Anyway everyone sees places from different points of view, just some posters experience IMHO .

Great singers though.

I really am wondering if you are joking here. I am TOTALLY paranoid in the Philipines and during normal hours normally feel quite safe anywhere in Thailand.

The desk clerks in the Philipines warn you not to take more than $5.00 or your passport outside of the hotel because the POLICE will rob you and make you pay to get your passport back. If you take a taxi and it turns off the main street, they tell you to jump out and run. The Philipines is a dangerous place. There is just no comparison. :D

Strange, all you wrote didn't happen/ or was said to me, Again Philippines are more than Manila, jeeze :D:o

Great singers though.

The desk clerks in the Philipines warn you not to take more than $5.00 or your passport outside of the hotel because the POLICE will rob you and make you pay to get your passport back. If you take a taxi and it turns off the main street, they tell you to jump out and run. The Philipines is a dangerous place. There is just no comparison. :o

No, I'm not joking at all. I'm not paranoid myself, but I am careful.

I take the same precautions in Thailand (Pattaya) that I take in the Philippines. I usually restrict the money I carry to a few thousand baht or peso and leave my credit cards and ATM cards at home in a safe.

I don't carry my passport around in either country unless I especially need it for some reason.

We don't flaunt gold jewelry in Thailand or the Philippines (my girlfriend has a lot of gold but she hardly wears it in Pattaya due to the many reports of gold snatching).

How much experience do you have in the Philippines, and where were you residing?

Enjoyed reading all of your comments.

Funny that nobody has mentioned that most, if not all, Filipinas have bad teeth, hence, wear (poorly-made) dentures!!! I am told it is caused by too much vinegar in their food.

Thais have much nicer teeth.

How could you possibly make such a statement? Have you been running around doing a tooth survey in PI and Thailand?