mobile phone...what to turn off

bluejets

Usual approach is to either get the brother-in-law to send us a couple of sim cards a few weeks before we head "back home to Thailand" or even just grab a couple at Suvarnabhumi on arrival.

Former allows calling the rellies when we arrive rather than bother with setting and bothering with expensive " roaming" settings in our Aus phones.

I'm certain I have asked previously however, mostly I think it's AIS we use and, once activated, it chews up our credit before I get a chance to make any calls perhaps a day or two later.

One of those situations where "if you don't cancel the option, you have to pay"........ seems to be raising it's ugly head in Aus also but I can see the regulators jumping on that little con here at least before long.

Would be useful for first timers in Thailand to know what to switch off as well, I would imagine.

Hopefully, will be returning again soon so any assistance appreciated.

Yes, have mentioned it to Thai people there, and my wife, but simply get the smile and "yes, that's right" answer......... nothing further on how to fix it...... ????

Edited by bluejets
  • Confused 2

14 minutes ago, bluejets said:

I'm certain I have asked previously however, mostly I think it's AIS we use and, once activated, it chews up our credit before I get a chance to make any calls perhaps a day or two later.

One of those situations where "if you don't cancel the option, you have to pay"........ seems to be raising it's ugly head in Aus also but I can see the regulators jumping on that little con here at least before long.

Would be useful for first timers in Thailand to know what to switch off as well, I would imagine.

I have used AIS for 20+ years and have no idea what you are talking about. Sorry. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Switch off >mobile data< on the phone.

Otherwise 1 Baht per minute will drain except you have subscribed for an internet plan.

In July 2022 I topped up my AIS with 500 Baht for some reason and I am still struggling to use it before expiry. Who does phone calls ????

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Otherwise 1 Baht per minute will drain except you have subscribed for an internet plan.

In July 2022 I topped up my AIS with 500 Baht for some reason and I am still struggling to use it before expiry. Who does phone calls ????

Yes indeed, i have the same problem with DTAC. Do you just lose your credit at expiry and then have to top up again ? I trust you don't lose your tel number as well.

32 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Yes indeed, i have the same problem with DTAC. Do you just lose your credit at expiry and then have to top up again ? I trust you don't lose your tel number as well.

As far as I know you "just" loose your credit and have to top up from zero.

There is no panic, loosing the number takes much longer.

I am not familiar with DTAC, but as I remember they have a fairly "cheap" 3 Baht option to extend the validity.

At AIS you have to topup some 10 Baht (at vending machines) or 20 Baht on other channels. Gives one month.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Erm no… more like 2 baht per MB these days. 
So as you suggested, you can switch of cellular/mobile data. Though a better solution for AIS may be to apply an ‘always on’ package, giving 30 days of a 128kbps connection for 33 baht. Good enough for text based communication with the added bonus of no credit leakage. 
A faster connection can be applied as and when if needed. 

• Like 1