Concrete floor paint

bradiston

Not sure if this has come up before.

I have a concrete forecourt. I don't like the bare concrete and have in the past painted it in a variety of different colours with Beger Synotex Roof paint. But I'm finding this has a life of about 2 years. Does anyone have a more resilient product they've used? I've seen TOA has an industrial floor coating but it has 2 ingredients that have to be mixed. But if it works, I might give it a try.

33 minutes ago, Iron Tongue said:

So this is outside and will be exposed to sunlight UV, as well as the elements?

If this is the case do not use epoxy-based paints as epoxy can yellow or become cloudy when exposed to UV for long periods of time.

For outdoors use, polyurethane would be a better solution.

Thanks. Yes, outside.

48 minutes ago, Iron Tongue said:

f this is the case do not use epoxy-based paints as epoxy can yellow or become cloudy when exposed to UV for long periods of time.

OK. I'll go with the chemistry but my floor was grey so I don't see a bit of yellowing being a problem. TOA has both.

20 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

The TOA one is probably epoxy paint. I have used epoxy on a garage floor and engines can be dragged across it with no adverse effects.

You'll need two coats the first on bare concrete will be 80% thinners, then the usual mix. Why? because the dry concrete will very quickly absorb the thinner and carry the pigment into it. If you do the first coat regular there is not enough thinner and the pigment simply sits on the surface.

Also you should thoroughly clean/etch the surface with hydrochloric acid. 10 parts water 1 part acid.

The above was told to me by the paint rep.

All good advice.

Follow these above instructions otherwise you will end up with a sticky surface. I cleaned/ etched my surface with a solution of vinegar and water which also worked.

• 2 weeks later...

TOA has a lot of 2-part industrial coatings. Have used hundreds of gallons of TOA Epoguard Enamel Epoxy and it is a great product, but it will chalk in the sun, as will most epoxies. 

If you are painting over existing paint, be advised that the new paint will only stick as well as the old paint it is going over. 

I would use this: 

TOA.jpg.1a14c91dab3ed6d4a8db5155a44cabe7.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2023 at 4:56 PM, Wongkitlo said:

Is it necessary to do the hydrochloric acid wash. I was told by somebody to just paint it.

If it has already been painted, the acid wash makes little sense. 

That said, it should be scrubbed clean, rinsed, loose paint scraped, wiped with acetone/thinner and scuffed-up. 

What kind of paint are you going with? 

On 9/14/2023 at 6:59 PM, Yellowtail said:

If it has already been painted, the acid wash makes little sense. 

That said, it should be scrubbed clean, rinsed, loose paint scraped, wiped with acetone/thinner and scuffed-up. 

What kind of paint are you going with? 

Thanks for your reply. The floor has not been painted before. I think I will do the hydrochloric wash. It is just above my fish pond though so I will have to be careful I guess. I bought the paint a few weeks back and I am not where it is at present. It was TOA brand and about 700 baht for a 3.5 litre tin. It was specific concrete paint.

16 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

Thanks for your reply. The floor has not been painted before. I think I will do the hydrochloric wash. It is just above my fish pond though so I will have to be careful I guess. I bought the paint a few weeks back and I am not where it is at present. It was TOA brand and about 700 baht for a 3.5 litre tin. It was specific concrete paint.

Yeah, an acid bath will really help raw, old concrete hold paint. Make sure there is no grease or oil on it before the acid. 

Getting a good first coat down is critical. I would go with a good penetrating sealer for a first coat.

You should be able to keep an eye on the pond's Ph and get some base if you have to. 

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Yeah, an acid bath will really help raw, old concrete hold paint. Make sure there is no grease or oil on it before the acid. 

Getting a good first coat down is critical. I would go with a good penetrating sealer for a first coat.

You should be able to keep an eye on the pond's Ph and get some base if you have to. 

Thank you for the advice