Non-O visa and when to start extension

Hi everyone,

i’ve just got multiple entry non-immigrant type O e-visa based on marriage valid for 90 days. I can use this one until august 16th 2024.

I will be arriving to Thailand on august 21st and have few questions to ask you:

1. do you know if IO at the BKK airport has any info regarding my visa displayed in the computer system ?  
I’m thinking of not using it just yet, but sometime in September on my next arrival

2. Is it possible to apply for a 1 year extension at CW days after arrival or is there any time period I need to wait before I could start the process ?

all the best,

Bart

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Bart1979 said:

I’ve just got multiple entry non-immigrant type O e-visa based on marriage valid for 90 days.

Seems you have a multiple entry non O visa.

That visa allows entries during the period of validity (one year) 

Each entry you are stamped in with a permission of stay of 90 days. 

I can't see any advantage in not using it from the start. 

Also confused about the one year extension you mention. 

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Seems you have a multiple entry non O visa.

That visa allows entries during the period of validity (one year) 

Each entry you are stamped in with a permission of stay of 90 days. 

I can't see any advantage in not using it from the start. 

Also confused about the one year extension you mention. 

I wasn’t aware of it to be honest (that I could use it throughout the year until 2024). In this case there’s no need for me to do the extension. Thanks a lot

13 minutes ago, Bart1979 said:

I wasn’t aware of it to be honest (that I could use it throughout the year until 2024). In this case there’s no need for me to do the extension. Thanks a lot

Yes the multi entry non O marriage is a ripper visa.

Some married guys in Thailand prefer to use that over the Non O marriage visa.

The latter is a single entry visa giving a 90 day permit and you then obtain 12 month ongoing extensions.

Regarding your visa you need to exit every 90 days.

That can be done with a border bounce or a mini holiday.

Personally I would take a break to Saigon. Even moreso if you are visa exempt for Vietnam. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

The latter is a single entry visa giving a 90 day permit and you then obtain 12 month ongoing extensions.

Regarding your visa you need to exit every 90 days.

That can be done with a border bounce or a mini holiday.

Personally I would take a break to Saigon. Even moreso if you are visa exempt for Vietnam. 

I can see obvious benefits of it, namely no annual pilgrimage to CW (double trip at least) and no more re-entry permit booth visits prior to immigration check out.

12 minutes ago, Bart1979 said:

I can see obvious benefits of it, namely no annual pilgrimage to CW (double trip at least) and no more re-entry permit booth visits prior to immigration check out.

Non Immigrant Non O multiple entry Visa.
Can be issued on the basis of retirement (+50) or Thai family/wife.
Valid to enter Thailand for 12 months from the date of issue.
Allows multiple entries of 90 days during the validity of the visa.
The permit of stay can be extended one time on each entry for a further 60 days, for visiting Thai family/wife during the validity of the visa.
You can stay for almost 15 months from a Non Imm O ME visa based on retirement, or 17 months with an additional 60 day extension based on Thai family/wife.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Bart1979 said:

Make sure you understand an even more important point. On each entry you are given a 90-day permission to stay. Do not assume that you can just stay because your visa has not yet expired.

Although making full use of the visa, and its multiple entry feature is normal, there is nothing stopping you from applying for an extension of your permission to stay at immigration after any entry using the visa.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

Make sure you understand an even more important point. On each entry you are given a 90-day permission to stay. Do not assume that you can just stay because your visa has not yet expired.

Although making full use of the visa, and its multiple entry feature is normal, there is nothing stopping you from applying for an extension of your permission to stay at immigration after any entry using the visa.

Very good point, thanks for bringing it up

22 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

With regards to the above,

1] do you need to retain any deposit in the bank.

2] How long do you need to be out of the country to do the 90 day bounce

3] What happens at the end of the multi entry visa, do you re-apply for another in Thailand?

22 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

3] What happens at the end of the multi entry visa, do you re-apply for another in Thailand?

1/ no

2/ no set time, so can do in/out same day

3/multi entry non imm 'O' visas can only be applied for outside of Thailand

just before the expiry date of the visa do a fresh border bounce for a fresh 90 days

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Regarding first point, you need to satisfy the requirements of the visa application which can vary with location. I did one at HCMC and no financials rquired but if done by e-visa proof of funds would be required, but the funds can be anywhere.

Various rumours on second point but unlikely to have a problem with Non O. I did MEs for 6 years at Bang Laem and never set foot in Cambodia. Always paid the couple of hundred baht to get it done, passport back by the time I came out of duty free.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hotchilli said:

1) No.

2) In principle, you do not need to spend any time outside Thailand before returning. There can be issues at some land crossings are are not specific to those using multiple entry visas. Avoid using the crossing at Poipet/Aranyaprathet.

3) To maximise use of the visa, do a border bounce just before the visa expires to get a final 90-day entry. You then have the option of applying for a further visa outside Thailand, or applying for an extension of your permission to stay at Immigration in Thailand.