New car colour?

bod

10 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Friends hilux in that colour is pristine... bout 7yrs old now.

If he keeps it under cover, maybe.

A Dulux paint chemist told me red is bad for fading, because said color absorbs more solar radiation than other colors, leading to breakdown of the binder.

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

If he keeps it under cover, maybe.

A Dulux paint chemist told me red is bad for fading, because said color absorbs more solar radiation than other colors, leading to breakdown of the binder.

Parks on the street out front of his house.

That looks like one of the shade variations of Toyota's Red Mica...   been used globally for 25 years to my recollection. These days mostly metallic or pearl.

Reds are always troublesome. Reds absorb a lot of solar radiation. Older one-shot solid reds used iron pigments and would oxidise and fade quite badly.  These days most are finished with clearcoat which largely solves the oxidisation problem but unfortunately the clearcoat-to-basecoat interface often starts to fail and you get unsightly 'lacquer peel'.  Metallics seem to suffer less than solids IME. If appraising a used car with a red finish the first thing is to do a walk around looking for lacquer peel - often its a deal breaker.