Scam help.. please..

problemfarang

6 minutes ago, Sandboxer said:

Am I understanding this correctly?

Your friend donated/sent $150 to someone in Thailand who actually told him he didn't want any money (even telling your friend to just donate it to someone else)?

But your friend insisted, sent it (via a friend), and is now somehow whining that the receiver isn't really from a profession he thought he was?

Where exactly is this "scam"? All I see is a pushy do-gooder retard who just can't take a "no".....

Well kind of yes. He introduced himself as a soldier. Then he talked about he hasnt got enough money to do some things for himself. So my youtuber friend decided to help him with the donation moneys in his account. Then yes yesterday it turned out hes not a soldier.

Now im not sure he can do anything legal.. because the money is coming from donators. 

7 minutes ago, Dan O said:

I don't think lies get you thrown in jail or the world would be a much easier place to exist in by removing those from our path.

Well yes but i was wondering if any legal thing could happen because the money comes from donators. But again im not sure if my youtube friend has any official registered donation company or what ever it is. So when he was doing his youtube hes asking for donations. And from this account he helps people in need

5 minutes ago, Sandboxer said:

So a person who is poor and was never a brainwashed professionally trained killer got a few bucks, even when he said he didn't want it (maybe because he felt guilty?).

I see that as a good thing.

Tell your moron of a friend to put on his adult diaper and STFU about it already. It's kinda embarrassing, really.

Well.. so i take it as he needs to let it go.

Thnx

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Fools are easily separated from their money..

Your friend fits that and slightly surprised you ask a forum such a silly question.

He got scammed. 

Yes its obvious. And so far from the answers theres nothing he can do even the money is from donation account.

Thnx

If someone claimed, falsely, to be a soldier in order to gain a donation from a charity which only donates to soldiers, then that would be a criminal offence of Fraud (obtaining monies by deception) in most countries AFAIK.

I doubt that the police in Europe or Thailand would be interested in commencing an investigation.

I suggest that your friend contacts the recipient, explains that the donation was made in error (i.e.- should only be given to a soldier) and ask for the money to be refunded.

If not refunded, accept that this is a lesson learned (an inexpensive lesson at only $150).

15 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

He got scammed. 

But .....the guy told the donor that he didn't want the money, so I don't really see it as a scam.

I mean, if some strange dude wants to buy me a beer at the bar because he listened to me mentioning to the hot cute bartender that I'm a US Navy Seal medical doctor on holiday in Thailand right before I start my new career as an astronaut, and I tell him thanks but no thanks, and he still insists.....hell, I'm just gonna give in and accept that idiot's drink. ????

PS. Believe it or not - there's actually a Korean-American dude that has all the above credentials, and it ain't me. I'd hate to be his sibling 555.....

Edited by Sandboxer
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

If someone claimed, falsely, to be a soldier in order to gain a donation from a charity which only donates to soldiers, then that would be a criminal offence of Fraud (obtaining monies by deception) in most countries AFAIK.

I doubt that the police in Europe or Thailand would be interested in commencing an investigation.

I suggest that your friend contacts the recipient, explains that the donation was made in error (i.e.- should only be given to a soldier) and ask for the money to be refunded.

If not refunded, accept that this is a lesson learned (an inexpensive lesson at only $150).

Thank you

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

Yes its obvious. And so far from the answers theres nothing he can do even the money is from donation account.

Thnx

It's not huge money .

Assume your friend has good intentions so should just wipe this off to experience and continue his good work. 

Might be a cheap lesson.

Edited by DrJack54

1 hour ago, problemfarang said:

Well yes but i was wondering if any legal thing could happen because the money comes from donators. But again im not sure if my youtube friend has any official registered donation company or what ever it is. So when he was doing his youtube hes asking for donations. And from this account he helps people in need

I don't think he could do too much. Based on your comment that the guy said he didn't want any money and give it to someone else. Your friend decided to give it to him anyway so the guy never really scammed anyone outright. I think he played his cards to get the money without asking but its just my opinion based on a guess. 

6 minutes ago, Dan O said:

I don't think he could do too much. Based on your comment that the guy said he didn't want any money and give it to someone else. Your friend decided to give it to him anyway so the guy never really scammed anyone outright. I think he played his cards to get the money without asking but its just my opinion based on a guess. 

Very correct. 

2 hours ago, problemfarang said:

Now.. yesterday it turned out that this guy is not a soldier or vet.

2 hours ago, problemfarang said:

He introduced himself as a soldier.

Tell your friend to mind his own gosh-darned business.

He's apparently reading things into the situation that don't exist.

The dude didn't want the money.

Your friend insisted.

No scam.

P.S.:  Also kindly inform your friend the Salvation Army is not affiliated with any military.

• Sad 1