UK State marriage pension

I have no idea if the concept of a marriage pension still exists but as I am 72 and my wife is 52, Thai obviously, am I entitled to claim a marriage pension when my wife reaches 60 or 65. She was born in 1970. I understand when a marriage pension existed the bit for a spouse was paid to the wife not to the husband. What is the situation now?

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Kevin1908 said:

I have no idea if the concept of a marriage pension still exists but as I am 72 and my wife is 52, Thai obviously, am I entitled to claim a marriage pension when my wife reaches 60 or 65. She was born in 1970. I understand when a marriage pension existed the bit for a spouse was paid to the wife not to the husband. What is the situation now?

o spouse pension since 2015 I believe but you need to totally check and one could claim on other NI if not enough

• Confused 1

56 minutes ago, transam said:

If you have a Thai wife that has never paid N.I. in her own name, you can forget any cash from pensions for her., it has all gone....

In need to check. She did pay some contributions over a period of about 10 years but I think most of the time she was below or just over the treshold to pay NICs. Did I see some where she has to have made 35 years worth of contributions so with ten years worth she wont get anything in her own name?

Just now, Kevin1908 said:

In need to check. She did pay some contributions over a period of about 10 years but I think most of the time she was below or just over the treshold to pay NICs. Did I see some where she has to have made 35 years worth of contributions so with ten years worth she wont get anything in her own name?

I think it is a minimum of 10 or 7 years of N.I. payments paid in her name, to get a % of the 35 year full pension at whatever the retirement age is at the time she wants to retire, think it is 65 at the moment for women....

UK pensions are now paid on an individuals' status....

Few years back I tried to sort out a Thai widow's UK state pension because she had a N.I. number, but back then the husband who claimed on his pension for a Thai wife, got a N.I. number for her, she thought she was going to get a pension, I spoke to pensions on her behalf after hubby departed, she got nothing....

• Confused 1

48 minutes ago, jwest10 said:

o spouse pension since 2015 I believe but you need to totally check and one could claim on other NI if not enough

Yes sorry not even a Thai but knew someone 15 years ago claiming a pension in her own rigt but everything aboished foreveyone in 2015 ok

Just now, jwest10 said:

I sent could before 2015 ok please read my post properly.

All pension payments for Thai wives finished in 2020 for any pensioner receiving them.

From 2010, all pension payments for Thai wives were stopped for new claimants.....It has all gone, unless a Thai worked in her own right in the UK and paid N.I., then she can claim a % at HER and the UK women's retirement age.

Nothing for a hubby's death....

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Kevin1908 said:

call pension office and ask

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, transam said:

All pension payments for Thai wives finished in 2020 for any pensioner receiving them.

From 2010, all pension payments for Thai wives were stopped for new claimants.....It has all gone, unless a Thai worked in her own right in the UK and paid N.I., then she can claim a % at HER and the UK women's retirement age.

Nothing for a hubby's death....

Where's Pharagonick when you need him. ????

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, transam said:

I think it is a minimum of 10 or 7 years of N.I. payments paid in her name, to get a % of the 35 year full pension at whatever the retirement age is at the time she wants to retire, think it is 65 at the moment for women....

UK pensions are now paid on an individuals' status....

Few years back I tried to sort out a Thai widow's UK state pension because she had a N.I. number, but back then the husband who claimed on his pension for a Thai wife, got a N.I. number for her, she thought she was going to get a pension, I spoke to pensions on her behalf after hubby departed, she got nothing....

Someone's confused, can I help.....????

13 minutes ago, transam said:

Well there someone incredibly confused with my answers, is it 'im......????

Nah his a guy on here who knows exactly what Thai wives are entitled too in the past and future and has help many a Thai wife over the years married to uk guys.

I only guess his name but it's close.????

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Thumbs Up 1

If OP wife has an NI number he can call the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) to find out whether she has any NI contributions on record.

She needs 10 years of contributions to get any UK pension at all. At present it is possible to buy up to 6 years of NI contributions. The rate is 17.45 pounds per week, so about 900 pounds for each year.

DWP will want to know her work history and addresses whilst in the UK. My experience of contacting the DWP has always been positive, helpful and friendly. 

If the wife was on a low wage or claiming benefits while in the UK she may have been given NI credits, so it's worth checking.

Married pensions and spouse pensions were stopped years ago, so a woman can't use her husbands NI contributions to get a pension - except people who qualify for the old basic pension (women born before 1953 and men born before 1951 ?not sure of the year?).

10 years of contributions would get 10/35ths of the full state pension. That would be 58 quid a week, just over 3,000 quid a year.

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Nah his a guy on here who knows exactly what Thai wives are entitled too in the past and future and has help many a Thai wife over the years married to uk guys.

I only guess his name but it's close.????

Try Prakhonchai Nick...

• Like 1

Someone need my assistance?

A Thai wife who at some time lived and worked in the UK and has a minimum of 10 NI contributions will likely be entitled to a UK state pension at the appropriate age

Thai wives of British expats here in Thailand, who have never worked in the UK are entitled to nothing. The husbands state pension ceases upon his death, and nothing further is provided by the DWP either for wives./widows or children. At worst the DWP will likely as not, some months after death, request any pension overpayment to be returned from the estate.

Relocate to the Phillipines and you may be in luck!

• Like 1