Pittsburgh-area dentist convicted of killing wife on African safari

I just thought this was an interesting story. This guy is a full blown psychopath.  There's a part of it I don't get.  The story says he is a wealthy dental franchise owner. Yet he risked it all to shoot his wife to get just under 5 million in insurance money ? He was probably  worth 5 million+ already. So why was it worth this risk ? I guess he thought that his existing wealth would rule out the motivation for him to do this. And he did get away with it for 5 years. 

Larry Rudolph was arrested nearly five years after her death following an FBI investigation that sent agents traveling around the world to collect evidence and interview witnesses. Prosecutors allege Rudolph built his wealth on fraud. They say he shot off his thumb during a previous visit to Zambia to collect millions in disability insurance money; they also allege he cheated his dental patients, creating the need for root canals by not doing fillings or drilling holes in their teeth while they were asleep. 

Full story https://www.cbsnews.com/pittsburgh/news/larry-rudolph-pittsburgh-dentist-killed-wife-african-safari-sentenced-life-in-prison/