Single Best Tip

Spee

If you had to pick the single best advice or tip you ever received about playing better golf, what would it be? And why is it the best?

For me to get it started .....................

I'm a half decent short to middle iron player. I really struggle getting my yardage right with the very highly lofted clubs like sand wedge, lob wedge, etc. I catch it too thin or too heavy or I make good contact but the ball just goes straight up in the air and comes up short. On the other hand, I've always been really comfortable with a pitching wedge.

Two months ago, I bought one of the major golf mags and there was a great teaching article from Annika Sorenstam and her coach. It was all about using the pitching wedge in short yardage situations. She talked about how her coach got her back to practicing the pitching wedge with the same swing tempo, but learning to use 3 different swing arcs, 50%, 75% and 100%. By keeping the swing tempo the same, but altering the length of the backswing, she was able to get much improved distance control.

So I tried it out. I had long since given up on the lob wedge a couple of years ago. I quit using the sandie which I used to use mostly for about 90 yards on in. I began using the pitching wedge only in this manner, which gives me roughly 50 yards, 75 yards and 100 yards at about 50%, 75% and 90%. I try not to swing 100% but can get the PW up to about 110-115 yards if I need to.

I've been doing this for about my last four times out, and the results have been fantastic. The yardage control is much more precise. Also, with the swing much more under control, the ball contact is more precise. The only other thing to worry about judging into the shot is whether the ball is going to check up a bit or run a bit. I have no doubts this is saving me 2-3 shots per round, not to mention helping with my other problem (3-putting) because I'm getting the ball a little closer to the hole on the approach.

Cool beans! Thanks Annika! Now I can't wait to get out to play after work tomorrow.

Who's next?

One of the best tips that I have ever been given was from a golf pro buddy of mine and it really is so simple to implement and it will definitely help with your swing tempo & speed.

Quite simply stand with your feet TOGETHER and swing as normal, if you find that you are falling over or rocking to one side or the other then you are swinging TOO FAST. Keep repeating this excercise and you will develop a smoother swing. It is suprising just how far you can hit the ball with your feet together and well worth a try on the driving range.

Happy golfing.

best tip is self belief

If you do not have faith in your ability nobody will.

You will always struggle to become a single figure player if you do not believe you are capable of becoming one.

Sound simple but works

So think of yourself as a single figure golfer NOW!!!

best tip is self belief

If you do not have faith in your ability nobody will.

You will always struggle to become a single figure player if you do not believe you are capable of becoming one.

Sound simple but works

So think of yourself as a single figure golfer NOW!!!

Yes! this quote is the best tip !! (I did beleive in myself & I am an 6.4 hcp)