Workpermit and Non B Visa through IEAT will be overdue October 31 but I cannot get the 7 day extension

Workpermit and Non B Visa through IEAT will be overdue October 31 but I cannot get the 7 day extension to arrange my stuff...

Asked CW, Chamchuri and IEAT and all 3 confirm that under IEAT I cannot get an extension and will be subject to overstay at 500 thb p day as from October 31.

No 7 days, no 60 days family extension, nothing seems to be possible. Called one lawyer with VISA services and they confirmed. I need to fly out

What happens if the company cancels my WP on October 31 and leaves my VISA valid until October 31 and I fly out on 31.10 and return on 01.11

Would the immigration at airport stamp the VISA void and allow me in on 30 days exempt so I can get my stuff in order and start the Non O procedure???

Or would there be a repercussion because I did not 'close' my VISA at immigration on October 31??

Any suggestions or remarks?

13 hours ago, jumbo said:

Workpermit and Non B Visa through IEAT will be overdue October 31 but I cannot get the 7 day extension to arrange my stuff...

Asked CW, Chamchuri and IEAT and all 3 confirm that under IEAT I cannot get an extension and will be subject to overstay at 500 thb p day as from October 31.

No 7 days, no 60 days family extension, nothing seems to be possible. Called one lawyer with VISA services and they confirmed. I need to fly out

What happens if the company cancels my WP on October 31 and leaves my VISA valid until October 31 and I fly out on 31.10 and return on 01.11

Would the immigration at airport stamp the VISA void and allow me in on 30 days exempt so I can get my stuff in order and start the Non O procedure???

Or would there be a repercussion because I did not 'close' my VISA at immigration on October 31??

Any suggestions or remarks?

It is possible with an appropriate termination letter to have the cancellation of your permission to stay post-dated. Your employer is responsible for terminating the work permit on the date specified in the termination latter. Normal would be for you actually to stop working around October 17, but your employment officially cease October 31.

Is your 800k in the bank now for a Non-O retirement or 400k for a Non-O married or child guardian visa?

IF you do NOT plan on getting another job then you don't need to worry about the work permit. It is up to the employer to cancel that with a letter to the labor office or be subject to a fine. (unless they changed the law again in the last 2-3 years)

IF you're not trying for a retirement change you should be able to get a 60 day visit the wife permission to stay and convert that to a Non-O married. I changed my reason to stay/get extension from "B" to "O" years ago w/o leaving the country. (pre-covid by 8 years)

Do you live in the area covered by CW or Chon Buri? (where's your TM30 for?) That's the office you'll need to apply at.

On 8/24/2023 at 5:34 PM, mrwebb8825 said:

IF you're not trying for a retirement change you should be able to get a 60 day visit the wife permission to stay and convert that to a Non-O married. I changed my reason to stay/get extension from "B" to "O" years ago w/o leaving the country. (pre-covid by 8 years)

Do you live in the area covered by CW or Chon Buri? (where's your TM30 for?) That's the office you'll need to apply at.

I called immigration, CW and Chamchuri Square, and they both confirmed that on my current Non B from IEAT I cannot get a 60 day family/wife visit extension.

We have our residency in Cha am, TM is registered in apartment in Bangkok because I spend most time there as I work in Bangkok

thanks

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jumbo said:

Multi entry

If you are really on a multi-entry Non-B VISA then you could do a border bounce on the day before its expiry, (use before date), and be stamped back in for another 90 days, totally valid even though your work permit would have expired.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

If you are really on a multi-entry Non-B VISA then you could do a border bounce on the day before its expiry, (use before date), and be stamped back in for another 90 days, totally valid even though your work permit would have expired.

This is correct. When using a Non B visa to enter Thailand, your permission to stay is not tied to your work permit. Until the expiry date of the visa, you can continue to enter Thailand with it, receiving 90 days each time you enter. That is distinct from the situation of an extension of stay based on working where your permission to stay ends with your job.

18 hours ago, BritTim said:

This is correct. When using a Non B visa to enter Thailand, your permission to stay is not tied to your work permit. Until the expiry date of the visa, you can continue to enter Thailand with it, receiving 90 days each time you enter. That is distinct from the situation of an extension of stay based on working where your permission to stay ends with your job.

and the OP states he is on a multi Non-B

problem solved

On 8/26/2023 at 11:59 AM, BritTim said:

I always, and still, thought that the entry depended on the end date of the visa, from what I recall I was allowed to enter Thailand and the date matched my visa expiration date 

So when I return from the 'day before expiration VISA trip' my visa expires the next day and I actually have no visa at all, maybe 30 days exempt maximum

You are not extending your visa when entering Thailand according to me but I could be wrong, but your reporting date

That I won't have to report for 90 days is a different matter if you refer to that

23 minutes ago, jumbo said:

I always, and still, thought that the entry depended on the end date of the visa, from what I recall I was allowed to enter Thailand and the date matched my visa expiration date 

So when I return from the 'day before expiration VISA trip' my visa expires the next day and I actually have no visa at all, maybe 30 days exempt maximum

You are not extending your visa when entering Thailand according to me but I could be wrong, but your reporting date

That I won't have to report for 90 days is a different matter if you refer to that

A visa is not permission to enter or stay in a country. A visa is permission to present yourself at a port of entry for consideration of admittance.

In your case, you would be presenting yourself for consideration of admittance just before your visa expired, but still within the dates allowed to present yourself.

On presentation the officer would give you permission to enter and stay in Thailand for 90 days. Permission is granted/confirmed by the entry stamp in your passport, not by your visa.

1 hour ago, jumbo said:

It is important to understand the differences between "visa", "permission to stay" (extended or not) and "re-entry permit".

If you enter Thailand with a visa, you can enter right up to the visa's expiry date, and will receive the normal permission to stay allowed from the visa (90 days if entering with a Non B visa, 60 days if a tourist visa, for instance).

I think you are making the common assumption that the re-entry permit you get to protect your permission to stay is a visa. It is not. It simply protects your permission to stay to prevent it being cancelled when you make a trip outside Thailand. Obviously, when entering with a re-entry permit, the expiry date of your permission to stay remains the same.

The 90-day report is completely independent of any of the above. It is required when you spend 90 days consecutively in Thailand.

36 minutes ago, BritTim said:

It is important to understand the differences between "visa", "permission to stay" (extended or not) and "re-entry permit".

If you enter Thailand with a visa, you can enter right up to the visa's expiry date, and will receive the normal permission to stay allowed from the visa (90 days if entering with a Non B visa, 60 days if a tourist visa, for instance).

I think you are making the common assumption that the re-entry permit you get to protect your permission to stay is a visa. It is not. It simply protects your permission to stay to prevent it being cancelled when you make a trip outside Thailand. Obviously, when entering with a re-entry permit, the expiry date of your permission to stay remains the same.

The 90-day report is completely independent of any of the above. It is required when you spend 90 days consecutively in Thailand.

Allright, so my NON B visa expires November 7, I leave and come back Nov 6 and have permission to stay 90 days from November 6.

The stamp in the passport will confirm that.

Then I should go to immigration and apply for extension Non O....... is that correct? 

3 hours ago, jumbo said:

Allright, so my NON B visa expires November 7, I leave and come back Nov 6 and have permission to stay 90 days from November 6.

The stamp in the passport will confirm that.

Then I should go to immigration and apply for extension Non O....... is that correct? 

Yes, during the last 30 days of your 90-day permission to stay from entering with the visa, you should go to Immigration to apply for a one-year extension based on working. Since your visa has expired, you must ensure that you get a re-entry permit if you subsequently want to travel abroad.

Note that, when discussing extensions of your permission to stay, it is better to reference the reason for the extension rather than the original visa type. The original visa type does have some impact on the reasons for extension that you qualify for. However, saying (for instance) I am on a Non O extension is meaningless. Similarly, saying you are on a Non B extension is not ambiguous, but saying you are on an extension based on working (preferably qualified by things like "for a BOI company" or "as a teacher") is the most accurate and informative description.