"DTAC call" app terminated

Lorry

The "DTACcall" app lets me make phone calls from any country for Thai domestic rates. It works if I have internet, it can be Wifi or it can be mobile data from the foreign SIM in my phone.

They recommend "Wifi calling" instead (not available on my Galaxy S7 Edge,  doesn't work with mobile data, and DTAC SIM has to be in the phone).

Any better idea?

True used to have a similar app, but it didn't work very well.

21 minutes ago, Lorry said:

The "DTACcall" app lets me make phone calls from any country for Thai domestic rates. It works if I have internet, it can be Wifi or it can be mobile data from the foreign SIM in my phone.

They recommend "Wifi calling" instead (not available on my Galaxy S7 Edge,  doesn't work with mobile data, and DTAC SIM has to be in the phone).

Any better idea?

True used to have a similar app, but it didn't work very well.

WiFi Calling is supported by DTAC with your model. Perhaps the issue is that it needs to be activated when you’re in-country initially. 

Edited by NextG

7 minutes ago, NextG said:

I have this pdf, but my settings look very different. It is S7 edge with Android 8.

I also have Note FE with Android 8, the menu there shows Wifi calling.

DTAC  says my number is activated for Wifi calling already. 

I guess I try next week when I am in Thailand  again

Edited by Lorry

11 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Why not make calls via Wassup  or Line ?

The point is I can be reached under my phone number,  it doesn't cost me anything,  even if I am not in Thailand. 

Making calls is the easy part,  plenty of apps for this

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Lorry said:

I have this pdf, but my settings look very different. It is S7 edge with Android 8.

I also have Note FE with Android 8, the menu there shows Wifi calling.

DTAC  says my number is activated for Wifi calling already. 

I guess I try next week when I am in Thailand  again

It doesn’t necessarily appear as a menu option until it’s activated. 

You can read that others had the same issue initially: https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/other-smartphones/no-wifi-calling-option-on-s7-edge-oreo/td-p/1336890

2 hours ago, NextG said:

It doesn’t necessarily appear as a menu option until it’s activated. 

I guessed so.

My DTAC SIM is in a drawer in Bangkok,  but my AIS SIM is in my Note FE.

So in the meantime I tried Wifi calling by AIS - works ok. So I will probably just ditch DTAC. 

56 minutes ago, Lorry said:

I guessed so.

My DTAC SIM is in a drawer in Bangkok,  but my AIS SIM is in my Note FE.

So in the meantime I tried Wifi calling by AIS - works ok. So I will probably just ditch DTAC. 

DTAC still have unlimited data packs for use in Thailand at a reasonable cost with new SIM. 
Unlimited data with unlimited domestic calls at under 200 baht per month. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, NextG said:

DTAC still have unlimited data packs for use in Thailand at a reasonable cost with new SIM. 
Unlimited data with unlimited domestic calls at under 200 baht per month. 

I guess you are talking about prepaid packages?

(I have a 20 years old postpaid number, the last 5 or 6 years I kept it mainly because of the DTAC call app, that was very convenient)

31 minutes ago, Lorry said:

I guess you are talking about prepaid packages?

(I have a 20 years old postpaid number, the last 5 or 6 years I kept it mainly because of the DTAC call app, that was very convenient)

Yes, I was. 
Either way, you might perhaps keep the number, instead switching it to Prepaid. You can extend it’s validity indefinitely. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2023 at 11:05 PM, NextG said:

. You can extend it’s validity indefinitely. 

How?

DTAC told me the cheapest they can offer is 299/ months.  It includes 400 free minutes (that I don't really need), no internet included. 

I am not sure yet, but 299 per month just to keep a number sounds too much. 

15 hours ago, Lorry said:

How?

DTAC told me the cheapest they can offer is 299/ months.  It includes 400 free minutes (that I don't really need), no internet included. 

I am not sure yet, but 299 per month just to keep a number sounds too much. 

You obviously didn’t understand what was happening. You don’t need to have any monthly package on a Prepaid SIM. It looks as if they were trying to convince you to stay Postpaid. How do I know? Most Postpaid packages end in 99, unlike Prepaid packages. So not unlike any provider hoping to keep you paying them a subscription, they just made you an offer to stay. Just say no and insist on moving to Prepaid. If the continue to play the fool, request an MNP code and take the number to AIS or Truemove H Prepaid. But it’s easier to extend DTAC and Truemove H SIM indefinitely by tapping in a simple code. From anywhere once you have International Roaming activated. 

7 hours ago, NextG said:

You obviously didn’t understand what was happening. You don’t need to have any monthly package on a Prepaid SIM. It looks as if they were trying to convince you to stay Postpaid. How do I know? Most Postpaid packages end in 99, unlike Prepaid packages. So not unlike any provider hoping to keep you paying them a subscription, they just made you an offer to stay. Just say no and insist on moving to Prepaid. If the continue to play the fool, request an MNP code and take the number to AIS or Truemove H Prepaid. But it’s easier to extend DTAC and Truemove H SIM indefinitely by tapping in a simple code. From anywhere once you have International Roaming activated. 

I got it.

Sounds good, change the number to prepaid, and just keep it.

I am not aware of any advantage a postpaid number has over a prepaid number. Are you?

3 hours ago, Lorry said:

I got it.

Sounds good, change the number to prepaid, and just keep it.

I am not aware of any advantage a postpaid number has over a prepaid number. Are you?

That you don’t have to remember to keep extending the validity. I keep mine close to a year in advance most of the time, for as little as 30 baht per annum if out of the country. 

9 hours ago, Lorry said:

There are numerous advantages of using prepaid vs postpaid or postpaid vs prepaid

One is only better depending on your personal usage, situation and requirements.

Neither is the correct answer for everyone.

One is better for you.

Personally I have 1 phone with 2 phone numbers, 1 post paid 1 prepaid, the prepaid number has 2 SIM cards 1 is used on that phone and the other my tablet. That works for me but probably isn’t correct for you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

There are numerous advantages of using prepaid vs postpaid or postpaid vs prepaid

One is only better depending on your personal usage, situation and requirements.

Neither is the correct answer for everyone.

One is better for you.

Personally I have 1 phone with 2 phone numbers, 1 post paid 1 prepaid, the prepaid number has 2 SIM cards 1 is used on that phone and the other my tablet. That works for me but probably isn’t correct for you.

Numerous, but you didn’t get around to naming even a single advantage or disadvantage ???? 

1 hour ago, NextG said:

Numerous, but you didn’t get around to naming even a single advantage or disadvantage ???? 

You are correct I didn’t (you win a banana ????;) . The advantage or disadvantage depends on your view point. However I did mention 1 post paid advantage though I didn’t hold your hand and specifically call it that, that is being able to have 1 number with 2 SIM cards one pure data in my tablet the other in my phone with the same data pool and voice.

You can now put your big boy pants on and do your own research.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You are correct I didn’t (you win a banana ???????? . The advantage or disadvantage depends on your view point. However I did mention 1 post paid advantage though I didn’t hold your hand and specifically call it that, that is being able to have 1 number with 2 SIM cards one pure data in my tablet the other in my phone with the same data pool and voice.

You can now put your big boy pants on and do your own research.

Actually you wrote that the Prepaid SIM had 2 numbers, Mr Self Proclaimed Genius. Now you are telling that it is the Postpaid SIM. 
Therefore all of your posts on this thread have been worse than useless to the OP.  
Furthermore, why would I need to do the research, since it is the OP who asked the question? They asked and you provided an ENTIRELY USELESS reply. Better for you to eat the banana. Your brain appears to need it. Have an appropriate day. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, NextG said:

Actually you wrote that the Prepaid SIM had 2 numbers, Mr Self Proclaimed Genius. Now you are telling that it is the Postpaid SIM. 

Go back and actually read what was written not what you have imagined was written, you might then actually understand, though I don’t know if you have that ability given that you often misunderstand and like to use ad hominem insults.

3 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:
7 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Go back and actually read what was written not what you have imagined was written, you might then actually understand, though I don’t know if you have that ability given that you often misunderstand and like to use ad hominem insults.

Personally I have 1 phone with 2 phone numbers, 1 post paid 1 prepaid, the prepaid number has 2 SIM cards 1 is used on that phone and the other my tablet. That works for me but probably isn’t correct for you

Did so. 

27 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

However I did mention 1 post paid advantage though I didn’t hold your hand and specifically call it that, that is being able to have 1 number with 2 SIM cards one pure data in my tablet the other in my phone with the same data pool and voice.

Did I really need to illustrate your mistakes AGAIN?

10 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

ad hominem? I specifically wrote about the quality of your post, whereas you wrote about winning a banana, holding my hand and big boy pants… 

You are just showing yourself up. Not a problem for me, you carry on. I’m happy to shine a light on your character. 

15 hours ago, NextG said:

That you don’t have to remember to keep extending the validity. I keep mine close to a year in advance most of the time, for as little as 30 baht per annum if out of the country. 

I  figured that. 

Postpaid used to be good if you were an old customer,  but these times seem to be gone. 

(AIS, where I am also an old customer,  just offered me postpaid with a monthly call limit of 500 baht. Hard not to feel insulted.  With DTAC, I used to have a monthly limit of 30000, and it was no problem to increase it)

So maybe i really switch to prepaid

1 hour ago, Lorry said:

I  figured that. 

Postpaid used to be good if you were an old customer,  but these times seem to be gone. 

(AIS, where I am also an old customer,  just offered me postpaid with a monthly call limit of 500 baht. Hard not to feel insulted.  With DTAC, I used to have a monthly limit of 30000, and it was no problem to increase it)

So maybe i really switch to prepaid

A shame that you didn’t consider it earlier. When there were universal enticing deals on new Prepaid SIM. 
DTAC had some hidden deals recently but I haven’t checked since the merger. The key thing is that these deals included unlimited calls. For example I pay 150 baht for unlimited data capped at 4 Mbps and unlimited domestic calls. 200 baht for unlimited 10 Mbps and unlimited domestic calls. If I don’t want the package one month, I simply don’t bother to top up. Or if I only want it for one week, I just top up 25% of the full package price. These are no longer available to new customers. 
But DTAC might still have something of interest to you. 

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, NextG said:

A shame that you didn’t consider it earlier. When there were universal enticing deals on new Prepaid SIM. 
DTAC had some hidden deals recently but I haven’t checked since the merger. The key thing is that these deals included unlimited calls. For example I pay 150 baht for unlimited data capped at 4 Mbps and unlimited domestic calls. 200 baht for unlimited 10 Mbps and unlimited domestic calls. If I don’t want the package one month, I simply don’t bother to top up. Or if I only want it for one week, I just top up 25% of the full package price. These are no longer available to new customers. 
But DTAC might still have something of interest to you. 

I will have a look, sure. 

Those very high bills were international calls, difficult to get them much cheaper.  Nowadays it's all VoIP, phone bill just several hundred baht. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/25/2023 at 4:41 PM, NextG said:

WiFi Calling is supported by DTAC with your model. Perhaps the issue is that it needs to be activated when you’re in-country initially. 

I switched to Note FE.

It took many calls to DTAC and a long visit to DTAC hall in Central World to get WiFi Calling working.  The issue was that I have 2 SIMs in the phone, DTAC and AIS,  but only one can use WiFi Calling, and to switch WiFi Calling to the other SIM you need to temporarily deactivate the first one (so pretend your phone has only one SIM), then activate WIFi Calling and from now on it will always be the other SIM when you use WiFi Calling - until you switch back the same way. 

DTAC hall had no idea how to help.  Neither had the call center.

Only when the call center asked where I was and I told them "I am in Bangkok,  in Central World,  in the DTAC hall" - only then came the guy who knew what to do out of hiding.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 months later...

I also kept my DTAC number (prepaid) for 5 years because if this DTCA call-APP! And the good one, the SIM does mot need to be in the phone, where DTAC call runs. So, the stop of the support is very annoying, especially because not every phone is ready for wifi calling. And, yes a want to receive calls also when I*m in a european  4G-Network!!

so, what do i have to do? To put the SIM in Thailand in a wifi-calling-able phone and enter the *444 ....  ??

do i get a response then?

but then i can use ONLY this phone for receiving calls ?

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, regn said:

I also kept my DTAC number (prepaid) for 5 years because if this DTCA call-APP! And the good one, the SIM does mot need to be in the phone, where DTAC call runs. So, the stop of the support is very annoying, especially because not every phone is ready for wifi calling. And, yes a want to receive calls also when I*m in a european  4G-Network!!

so, what do i have to do? To put the SIM in Thailand in a wifi-calling-able phone and enter the *444 ....  ??

do i get a response then?

but then i can use ONLY this phone for receiving calls ?

Yes, you can use ONLY this phone for receiving calls. 

It works, quite straightforward if you use only 1 SIMcard in this phone. 

Better call DTAC first and ask them to enable WiFi calls for your SIM, then do the *444... thing. 

There seems to be no way to figure out in advance whether a phone is "wifi-calling-able". The information I got about my phones,  from DTAC, from Samsung and from the internet, were wrong. You have to try.

The response you get is, your phone will show the WiFi calling symbol (without the "1"):

Screenshot_20231225-011407_Brave.jpg.f045038f0c7761ec94e18b40253a714c.jpg

You will see this symbol even when you are in Thailand,  and you should try whether Wifi calling works as long as you are in Thailand. 

If you don't see this symbol, you are not using Wifi calling.

Wifi calling sometimes switches itself off, if you do other things with this phone.  Don't panic,  I have always managed to get it back.