My spider is leaking!!

monsieurhappy

It seems the body of my pool spider has a crack and is leaking! Not much now but when I do backwash it drips much more.

I don't know how it became cracked but it is 21 years old! What I want to know is a. Can it be repaired or b. How much will a new one cost and I do appreciate that some are bigger than others so a ball park figure would help. Just so you all know what a spider is, here is a Google pic. of one similar:-

image.jpeg.289714fd525acef8092f8969b029df04.jpegMine does not have the Hayward name but looks very much like this one. The crack is on the side!

Thanks!

It is called a MPV. Multiport valve.

Is it side mount or top mount MPV? 

One of the gaskets inside is called a spider.

Pull it apart and see if you can find what is leaking. 

New gaslet are at least 600 baht now with a spider gasket most likely 900/1000 baht.

after 11 years maybe time for a complete new filter fitted with Zelbrite.  Because if the body has become fragile and split/cracked then the inside walls of the filter are also becoming thin, and may split soon as well so don't waste any money on a new valve.  Check out Zelbrite it's far superior to sand and glass. Check out the pool professor 0821966003

2 hours ago, bobholds said:

after 11 years maybe time for a complete new filter fitted with Zelbrite.  Because if the body has become fragile and split/cracked then the inside walls of the filter are also becoming thin, and may split soon as well so don't waste any money on a new valve.  Check out Zelbrite it's far superior to sand and glass. Check out the pool professor 0821966003

A new system is a good idea if it's that old. 

Eco Clear recycled plate glass is far superior to Zelbrite. I used zeolite extensively for 10 years and then switched to Eco Clear for the last 10 years. Zeolite has a 5 year life and needs recharging (Cleaning) or replacing were as Eco Clear will last up to 15 years. Eco Clear is less likely to channel or block unlike sand or Zelbrite plus it doesn't support biofilm build up.

Eco Clear wetinfo.pdf

Edited by Bagwain

I'd like to ask you posters how you can answer a question without reading it in the first place?

My original question was about repairing or replacing a multiport valve that has a crack in it.

Most of you have told me to replace the sand in the sand filter!!

The mind boggles!!