Non-B to Non-O Retirement

21 hours ago, sandyf said:

Visa conversion by the MFA

Unless I'm mistaken that was for a VISA STICKER that was issued by a thai consulate in another country but was issued for the wrong reason <- wasn't it?

I have seen people apply for a Non-O visa but the consulate mistakenly stuck in a sticker visa for a Non-B, and the ONLY way to change a visa TYPE once it's issued (and if you're still on the initial 90 day entry) is to go to the MFA office out by Chaengwattana <-because they run thai consulates who hawk visas in other countries, have them contact the original issuing embassy, review the paperwork and if the visa was issued for the wrong category they will correct it with the stamp you show..

That cannot happen once you're on an extension of stay from the immigration office inside the country

This whole thing has abso-tively, posi-lutley ZERO to do with changing the reason for an extension of stay (gotten from a visa that expired LONG ago), and it just muddies the water as far as what the real process is for the O/P in their instance.. 

Its as if you're comparing apples to durian.. .

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Tod Daniels said:

This whole thing has abso-tively, posi-lutley ZERO to do with changing the reason for an extension of stay (gotten from a visa that expired LONG ago), and it just muddies the water as far as what the real process is for the O/P in their instance.. 

This is what was posted in the OP.

"Can my VISA be converted inside Thailand? "

I appreciate it is difficult for you with a one track mind.

8 hours ago, sandyf said:

This is what was posted in the OP.

"Can my VISA be converted inside Thailand? "

I appreciate it is difficult for you with a one track mind.

That question was effectively answered (on the basis that the word "visa" is used correctly). Unless the wrong visa type was issued in error by an embassy/consulate, a visa cannot be changed within Thailand.

If you entered with a tourist visa on visa exemption, you can apply for a Non Immigrant visa at Immigration under a number of circumstances. Excluding that, you can in a multitude of ways change the reason for your extended permission to stay.

20 minutes ago, BritTim said:

If you entered with a tourist visa on visa exemption, you can apply for a Non Immigrant visa at Immigration under a number of circumstances. Excluding that, you can in a multitude of ways change the reason for your extended permission to stay.

I think you correctly pointed out something. If my employer canceled my "extension", and I left the country and re-entered Thailand on a Visa-exempt, I would need to re-apply for a new visa (retirement, Non-O). 

But, as Tod has said, I can simply apply for a new extension based on retirement before the cancelation due date... before the end of my current extension cancelation. That is my understanding. 

2 hours ago, scoutman360 said:

I think you correctly pointed out something. If my employer canceled my "extension", and I left the country and re-entered Thailand on a Visa-exempt, I would need to re-apply for a new visa (retirement, Non-O). 

But, as Tod has said, I can simply apply for a new extension based on retirement before the cancelation due date... before the end of my current extension cancelation. That is my understanding. 

Correct on all counts. Changing the reason for your extended permission to stay is usually going to be the best solution.

11 hours ago, scoutman360 said:

Correct!!

Cancel the current extension at Cham Churi Square a couple weeks before your termination date.

Get your ducks in a row documentation wise,

Go to Chaengwattana section L-1 apply for a year extension based on retirement.

sandyf, the term visa is commonly used by people on an extension of stay, it just is, and

Few people are actually in the initial Visa entry.

I answered as if the person was on an extension of stay based on employment, and while I took that 'leap in logic' when I gave my answer, I honestly believe if the op looked at the current stamp they have in their passport, it would say, "extension of stay permitted until", and have a date.

Sorry to have butted heads with you, but still think my advice is spot on for the O/P

17 hours ago, BritTim said:

Unless the wrong visa type was issued in error by an embassy/consulate, a visa cannot be changed within Thailand.

This is what I said in respect of the Non B but feel free to imply some other interpretation.

"To change that visa would normally mean leaving the country and re-enter with a different visa."

Assumptions were made and no amount of distorted implication will vindicate that.

6 hours ago, Tod Daniels said:

I answered as if the person was on an extension of stay based on employment, and while I took that 'leap in logic' when I gave my answer,

You answered on the basis of assumption which I consider to be quite arrogant, nobody can presume to know the intention of others.

If you thought he had it wrong then your answer should have been 2 fold,  addressing a change in visa and also a change in reason for extension, with a request to clarify.

I thought the context of the text used in the OP indicated that the OP did mean what was posted. Using uppercase for "visa" would normally indicate some thought had gone into it. That turned out to be wrong and indeed that being the case your answer was spot on.

Thanks on the last point.

Edited by sandyf

• 1 month later...
On 9/2/2023 at 1:47 AM, BritTim said:

Correct on all counts. Changing the reason for your extended permission to stay is usually going to be the best solution.

Does anyone know which immigration form needs to be submitted for changing extension based on employment to extension based on retirement? TM86 and TM7 seem the closest match, but neither match the intention perfectly. Perhaps TM7 with an explanation at the bottom?

9 hours ago, scoutman360 said:

Does anyone know which immigration form needs to be submitted for changing extension based on employment to extension based on retirement? TM86 and TM7 seem the closest match, but neither match the intention perfectly. Perhaps TM7 with an explanation at the bottom?

All extensions use the TM7 form. You explain at the time of the application your reason for the extension, and the officials verify your provided documents based on this.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 months later...
On 8/30/2023 at 10:51 AM, Tod Daniels said:

I finally found a cancellation of extension from Cham Churi Square based on employment. As you can see from the dates the person went IN to the office to cancel the extension on July 1st, and their termination date was the 21 of July. The officer cancelled their extension on the first of July and gave them permission to stay until the 21st <- if you go a few weeks before the date on your termination paperwork they'll do the same thing to you and that should give you plenty of time to get to Chaengwattana to apply for the year extension based on retirement

Sincerely good luck with it, and as I might have mentioned GO to Chaengwattana before you cancel your current extension.

Go to Section L-1, the first cubby hole on the right in that section has a sign that says "Document Checking" and you can get the hand out from them that lists all the requirements to get the year extension. That way you can pull it off in one try..  

Also helps to book an appt with the online booking system (which you can do up to a month ahead) because then you just show up 20 minutes before the appt, get your documents checked in that first cubby and go straight to Counter 32 in Section L-1 without needing to get a queue number from the front counter 
Here's the online link ONLINE APPT FOR BANGKOK you want this choice 

Update. I followed all your instructions. Employer canceled my current extension. Then I was given permission to stay until last day of employment.

But today at CW when I got to the document check station, I was refused an extension based on retirement. When I explained my intension was to change from "extension based on employment" to "retirement", I was told CANNOT. I must leave the country, enter on VISA exempt, and apply for Non-O. Another officer standing at the desk agreed. Nothing wrong with my paperwork. They said I needed to leave the country then reapply for a Non-O. How is it I was told this if others have successfully done it?

• Confused 2

53 minutes ago, scoutman360 said:

Update. I followed all your instructions. Employer canceled my current extension. Then I was given permission to stay until last day of employment.

But today at CW when I got to the document check station, I was refused an extension based on retirement. When I explained my intension was to change from "extension based on employment" to "retirement", I was told CANNOT. I must leave the country, enter on VISA exempt, and apply for Non-O. Another officer standing at the desk agreed. Nothing wrong with my paperwork. They said I needed to leave the country then reapply for a Non-O. How is it I was told this if others have successfully done it?

You have just had two immigration officers give you the correct information about exactly what your options are and now you come rocking up to an old forum post expecting some magical alternative solution? Really? 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, ABCDBKK said:

You have just had two immigration officers give you the correct information about exactly what your options are and now you come rocking up to an old forum post expecting some magical alternative solution? Really? 🤦🏻‍♂️

Yes. Because if the rules have changed, people should know. And if the rules haven't changed, and possibly there was a misunderstanding, then someone could possibly help. Sorry you were not able to help.

On 3/6/2024 at 3:34 PM, scoutman360 said:

Yes. Because if the rules have changed, people should know. And if the rules haven't changed, and possibly there was a misunderstanding, then someone could possibly help. Sorry you were not able to help.

As I mentioned, two immigration officers already directly gave you the correct information. 

Somebody also posted the following information yesterday in another thread in this forum with a link that you can read:

There is no written procedure to change your visa status from type B to type O.

https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/issuing-and-changing-type-of-visa/