Zinc-Air Surpasses Lithium In Major Breakthrough In Battery Tech

placeholder

• ECU's Dr. Muhammad Rizwan Azhar led the project which identified the advantages of zinc-air batteries, including their environmental friendliness, low cost, and safety.
  • The university's breakthrough involved using new materials like carbon and cheaper minerals to enhance the zinc-air battery's efficiency, power density, and lifespan.
  • The redesigned zinc-air batteries, utilizing abundant resources like zinc and air, offer a reliable energy storage solution, bringing Australia closer to its sustainability goals.

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/Zinc-Air-Surpasses-Lithium-In-Major-Breakthrough-In-Battery-Tech.html

• Love It 1

I've noticed that lots of predictions from those who oppose electrification of the economy depend on a static model of power storage. But it's obvious, given the rapid pace of the technology, that this is not the case. Not only are zinc-air batteries already being used for power storage by electric utilities,

Zinc Batteries Power Stationary Energy Storage

https://www.powermag.com/zinc-batteries-power-stationary-energy-storage/

And other batteries are making rapid advances as well. Solid state lithium-sulphur batteries are already being manufactured, way ahead of predictions.

Lyten opens automated battery pilot line to produce lithium-sulfur batteries

https://verticalmag.com/news/lyten-opens-automated-battery-pilot-line-to-produce-lithium-sulfur-batteries/

I really hope an outstanding battery technology or technologies comes along. As Arthur C Clarke wrote, a real breakthrough is 100 years overdue.

Most likely, there will be different technologies for different applications; vehicles need a good Watt-hours/kilogram ratio, mega storage projects need widely available materials (even the hot sand pilot projects sound pretty cool).

The Japanese are apparently working on carbon-carbon batteries, which would be ideal. The blockage I see, so far, is that many pilot projects are working successfully, but nobody has yet taken the leap to commit to any of these on a large scale.

There needs to be some courage and some faith, or these important technologies are just going to linger on the periphery for decades.

5 minutes ago, Eleftheros said:

I really hope an outstanding battery technology or technologies comes along. As Arthur C Clarke wrote, a real breakthrough is 100 years overdue.

Most likely, there will be different technologies for different applications; vehicles need a good Watt-hours/kilogram ratio, mega storage projects need widely available materials (even the hot sand pilot projects sound pretty cool).

The Japanese are apparently working on carbon-carbon batteries, which would be ideal. The blockage I see, so far, is that many pilot projects are working successfully, but nobody has yet taken the leap to commit to any of these on a large scale.

There needs to be some courage and some faith, or these important technologies are just going to linger on the periphery for decades.

I also used AI but from Bard and it agrees.

"I agree with you. A breakthrough in battery technology is long overdue and it is essential for the future of electric vehicles and renewable energy.

There are many promising battery technologies in development, but it is still too early to say which one will be the most successful. Some of the most promising technologies include:

Solid-state batteries: These batteries use a solid electrolyte instead of a liquid electrolyte, which makes them safer, more efficient, and more durable.

Lithium-sulfur batteries: These batteries have a higher energy density than lithium-ion batteries, which could give electric vehicles a longer range.

Sodium-ion batteries: These batteries are less expensive than lithium-ion batteries and could be a more sustainable option.

Iron-air batteries: These batteries are very energy-dense and could be used for long-duration energy storage.
Zinc-air batteries: These batteries are also very energy-dense and could be used for portable devices.
It is likely that there will be a need for different battery technologies for different applications. For example, solid-state batteries may be the best choice for electric vehicles, while sodium-ion batteries may be the best choice for grid-scale energy storage.

The main challenge in bringing new battery technologies to market is the high cost of development and production. However, as the demand for electric vehicles and renewable energy grows, the cost of battery technology is expected to come down.

I believe that there is a lot of potential for new battery technologies to revolutionize the way we power our vehicles and homes. I am hopeful that we will see some major breakthroughs in the coming years.

I also agree with you that there needs to be more courage and faith in investing in new battery technologies. The pilot projects that are currently underway are a good start, but we need to see more companies and governments commit to large-scale production.

I believe that the future of battery technology is bright. With continued research and development, we will eventually find the technologies that we need to power our world in a clean and sustainable way."

Edited by Bkk Brian

From the rather snide tone of your opening sentence, it seems that you think I was using AI to come up with my opinions on battery technology. I was not.

I have been interested in battery technology for a long time, and am well researched on the topic. I do not need AI to formulate my opinions on the matter. Don't judge other people by your own standards.

If, by some small chance, it was not your intention to be petty and snide, then you might think more carefully before posting material that can very easily be misunderstood in that direction.

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Eleftheros said:

From the rather snide tone of your opening sentence, it seems that you think I was using AI to come up with my opinions on battery technology. I was not.

I have been interested in battery technology for a long time, and am well researched on the topic. I do not need AI to formulate my opinions on the matter. Don't judge other people by your own standards.

If, by some small chance, it was not your intention to be petty and snide, then you might think more carefully before posting material that can very easily be misunderstood in that direction.

Not at all, just confirming that AI Bard agrees entirely with you. Full marks!!

• Thumbs Up 1