Roof ventilation? Active/passive? Solar?

ElephantEgo

So I am going through the process of adding R-22 insulation above my ceiling. At the same time, it seems silly not to retrofit some ventilation up there since it could really reduce those insane temperatures in the attack.

The question is, what is the recommended method? I am tempted to use some kind of active solar roof fan. And add some vent in the bottom of the ceiling, if needed, for the intakes.

Upon doing a very quick search on Shopee/Lazada I found a simple solar vent: https://shopee.co.th/product/414689839/21578417718?gclid=Cj0KCQjwi7GnBhDXARIsAFLvH4nG_HL_LRK8X3OyKdxwflp0C6i0sA1GALm1MPv0adbKaIpWMfKTm_0aApAuEALw_wcB

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/solar-roof-ventilator-14-inches-50w-round-shape-for-100-sqm-working-day-time-i1523928184-s9664913813.html?

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/pp-elon-15w-sn2013009r-53x53x225-i4596421141-s18822355770.html?from_gmc=1&exlaz=d_1:mm_150050845_51350205_2010350205::12:19668221003!!!!!c!!18822355770!623344792&gclid=CjwKCAjwrranBhAEEiwAzbhNtcP3WysQhEwcc5E6Sr9hd7HdQL47SJIz6MDMvhqaEAAdDzqRt4UL-hoC5MEQAvD_BwE

However I am very open to better options and advice! Please let me know if you have any ideas! I have a roof made of those heavy ceramic tiles btw.

Our roof space is passive ventilated, but we have gables with large vents (and creature screens).

There's a significant flow through even on calm days.

Anything with moving parts is going to need maintenance at some point and roof penetrations will leak at some point (just after you've been up there fixing the fan).

In the absence of gables, soffit (air in) and ridge (hot air out) but these really need installing at construction.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Our roof space is passive ventilated, but we have gables with large vents (and creature screens).

There's a significant flow through even on calm days.

Anything with moving parts is going to need maintenance at some point and roof penetrations will leak at some point (just after you've been up there fixing the fan).

In the absence of gables, soffit (air in) and ridge (hot air out) but these really need installing at construction.

Definitely best to think of these things before buying (or constructing). I'm in the same position as the OP. My house is on a small development of one road built by a local Thai builder. He must have got a discount on sliding patio doors, the only windows being in the bedrooms. The result is floor to ceiling glass everywhere. Might be good in Norway but Thailand?