Flight ticket with 100% free cancellation

1 hour ago, zzzzz said:

NOTE:
fully refundable tickets- credit card charge ????

I've booked and refunded fully refundable tickets on at least 5 different airlines, and I have never lost a single Baht to a credit card charge or fee.  

Do you have any example of an Airline that charges and won't refund some credit card fee for a ticket they say is fully refundable? 

8 hours ago, Phillip9 said:

I've booked and refunded fully refundable tickets on at least 5 different airlines, and I have never lost a single Baht to a credit card charge or fee.  

Do you have any example of an Airline that charges and won't refund some credit card fee for a ticket they say is fully refundable? 

Never lost a single baht? Are you paying in baht and if so how do you avoid the usual foreign currency loading fee of 2.75%? Or is your bank account USD?

I appreciate you sharing this and it looks like a good option but for me I would lose with both the initial charge and the refund so would end up paying about 5% on a $120 ticket. That's good at less than 200 baht and less than the cost of these dodgy onward flight websites.

4 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

Never lost a single baht? Are you paying in baht and if so how do you avoid the usual foreign currency loading fee of 2.75%? Or is your bank account USD?

Sorry, I quoted baht here just because it is a Thailand forum.  My account is in USD.  

I double checked my recent purchase and refund of my ticket on Malaysian Airlines.  The fare was charged in USD, and refunded down to the exact penny in USD within a few days of when I requested the refund.  I think there was an option to choose your currency somewhere in the process of purchasing the ticket, but I can't remember for sure.

Edited by Phillip9

7 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

I appreciate you sharing this and it looks like a good option but for me I would lose with both the initial charge and the refund so would end up paying about 5% on a $120 ticket. That's good at less than 200 baht and less than the cost of these dodgy onward flight websites.

I've done this multiple times with expedia. I have an Australian bank account and if the ticket costs $120.34 I get refunded exactly $120.34. I have never been charged any extra/hidden fee.

It is listed as an "expired pending amount".

However, I can't promise what your bank will do.

5 minutes ago, Harry Om said:

I've done this multiple times with expedia. I have an Australian bank account and if the ticket costs $120.34 I get refunded exactly $120.34. I have never been charged any extra/hidden fee.

I have the same experience with tickets refunded within 24 hr on Expedia.  It looks like they are reversing the original transaction and the exact amount is refunded with no extra fees.

Fyi, Priceline.com is another good website to use for that strategy.  Priceline gives you a minimum of 24hr to refund a ticket, but usually longer, and can be as much as 72hr depending on when you book.  The exact time you have is very clearly displayed when you search for flights.

3 hours ago, Harry Om said:

Your $ sign means USD or AUD? Clearly if a currency conversion takes place by your bank then it will charge whatever fee it usually charges regardless of the policies of Expedia. It would be different if as @Phillip9 suggests you can pay in different currencies.

34 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Your $ sign means USD or AUD? Clearly if a currency conversion takes place by your bank then it will charge whatever fee it usually charges regardless of the policies of Expedia. It would be different if as @Phillip9 suggests you can pay in different currencies.

If I had a balance of $200 (AUD) in my bank account before the transaction, then I ended up with a balance of $200 (AUD) when the transaction was reversed.

As I have said, the exact same money that went out, went back in. No fees. No conversion charge.

Other banks may handle it differently. I try to only use banks without fees.

https://up.com.au/bank-overseas-without-the-fees/