Driving test for thi license completed today

essex boys

Glad you got it sorted. 

If you've got a UK licence you shouldn't need to do a test. I've had a Thai car licence for over 9 years.  When I first got it there was no test at all apart from seeing if I could recognise the could on traffic lights and a reaction test. My licence was due for renewal in June 2020 but Covid made that impossible, and I returned to the UK in September. When I came back in March 2022 I had to take a online test. That taught me one thing. The rules are pretty much the same as the ones I've been used to in the UK for over 50 years, it's just that people either don't know them or ignore them, and that incudes the police. Then it was just the same colour and reaction tests.  They have added another one where you have to move an upright rod to be level with another one. 

Also the peripheral vision test which was new here in kk when i renewed recently... correction...it wasn't there 5 years ago when I did my last one so it may well have been a requirement for a while now.

I went through this last year as my licenses expired during covid while I was not in Thailand.  Was surprised to learn that you have to take the online test TWICE if you are getting a car and motorbike licenses.  I studied a lot to prepare for the online tests as there are versions online from which the 50 questions are drawn.  While general understanding is not that hard, the English translation of the questions and answers can be misleading so taking the practice tests provides you with the "correct" answer to the questions so you can memorize the acceptable answer.  

Getting a waiver on the online test is a great outcome.

On 8/31/2023 at 8:08 AM, kimamey said:

Glad you got it sorted. 

If you've got a UK licence you shouldn't need to do a test. I've had a Thai car licence for over 9 years.  When I first got it there was no test at all apart from seeing if I could recognise the could on traffic lights and a reaction test. My licence was due for renewal in June 2020 but Covid made that impossible, and I returned to the UK in September. When I came back in March 2022 I had to take a online test. That taught me one thing. The rules are pretty much the same as the ones I've been used to in the UK for over 50 years, it's just that people either don't know them or ignore them, and that incudes the police. Then it was just the same colour and reaction tests.  They have added another one where you have to move an upright rod to be level with another one. 

I got my first Thai DL and Motorcycle license just by presenting my USA license with MC endorsement stamp. Renewed it after two years for 5 year license two years ago.

In neither case did I do anything but the physical tests you mentioned; no written or driving or video viewing needed. I had my Thai Lady with me which I think cleared the way quickly. Was in and out in about an hour.

The two rods are a depth perception test. Vision necessary in both eyes to have depth perception.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/30/2023 at 2:56 PM, essex boys said:

next thing you know they are out of the office to inform me that I didn’t need to do any further testing

And you didn't know that, just landed have you, and giving immigration 200b is a no no, now they'll probably expect that now from everybody Essex boy explains all.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

And you didn't know that, just landed have you

As we all know, different offices and even different officers fo things different ways.

I have renewed my licenses 3 times, all in the same office.

Always had to do the physical tests and once had to sit through the video. No big deal as it's only once in nearly 6 years.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Where you tested must be behind the times. I took that part of the test in 2006.

I had heard of it being used elsewhere. To be fair I'm in Mahasarakham in Isaan. No airport, train station, car rental ect. We do have 2 universities where you can watch the future brains of Thailand riding around without helmets but using an umbrella if it's raining so they don't get their hair wet. Particularly the guys.

"Behind the times" is pretty much a description of Thai driving from testing to traffic law enforcement. The Department of Land transport and the traffic police could both add it as part of their logos.

Let’s get the donkey out of the way first @brianthainess, if you read the requirements from the DLT to get your license it lists the reasons where you will have to take a physical test reason number 4 is if you don’t have your license verified by your embassy, or don’t have an international drivers permit then you are required to do the physical part of the driving test…now, off you go back to your barstool while I assign you to the wilderness…

ok, now the donkey has been dealt with, I took a colour blindness test which consisted of the officer touching a pen on either red, green or yellow discs, the reaction test is just that, a test of your breaking reaction, nobody in my class of 23 people done any other test, there was no peripheral test, and no depth test for your vision, I had been told when I registered in the morning that I would definitely have to do the physical part of the driving test because I didn’t meet the requirements under section 4 as explained above in my answer to the donkey. It was only that the senior officer in the building took my license and had a quick discussion with two other DLT officers  that they decided I didn’t have to do any further testing and they issued me with my license immediately, I didn’t even get as far as doing the multiple choice questions. 
anyway, many thanks to all above for your helpful replies ( with the exception of the donkey).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, RocketDog said:

I got my first Thai DL and Motorcycle license just by presenting my USA license with MC endorsement stamp. Renewed it after two years for 5 year license two years ago.

In neither case did I do anything but the physical tests you mentioned; no written or driving or video viewing needed. I had my Thai Lady with me which I think cleared the way quickly. Was in and out in about an hour.

The two rods are a depth perception test. Vision necessary in both eyes to have depth perception.

I think the reason for the online test was because it's something they do now, and because I'd been unable to renew my licence for 2 years they just got me to do it. I got a 5 year one as well. The first time I tried it was just a guy talking in Thai for ages, even though it was supposed to be in English. Then it just froze and wouldn't go any further. The next time a few months later it was OK, although I noticed it all seemed to be in Bangkok, so nothing like rural Thailand which is completely different.

The reaction test, I understood but the pedal wasn't fixed down so it just shot across the floor when I stamped down on it. There was an old guy one time and he'd tried and failed 4 or 5 times by the time I left.

The depth perception test, because it's in a box I hadn't seen before I sat down and it wasn't explained. I guessed what I thought it was but I wasn't really sure. They seemed happy with what I did and I got my licence.

I had my wife, or girlfriend at the time with me or it might have been difficult. She also knows a guy who works there as well.

Edited by kimamey

19 minutes ago, essex boys said:

have to take a physical test reason number 4 is if you don’t have your license verified by your embassy, or don’t have an international drivers permit then you are required to do the physical part

Strange how I managed to get my Thai license, using my UK license without doing/having any of the above. But I'm not on a tourist visa.

22 minutes ago, essex boys said:

Let’s get the donkey out of the way first @brianthainess, if you read the requirements from the DLT to get your license it lists the reasons where you will have to take a physical test reason number 4 is if you don’t have your license verified by your embassy, or don’t have an international drivers permit then you are required to do the physical part of the driving test…now, off you go back to your barstool while I assign you to the wilderness…

ok, now the donkey has been dealt with, I took a colour blindness test which consisted of the officer touching a pen on either red, green or yellow discs, the reaction test is just that, a test of your breaking reaction, nobody in my class of 23 people done any other test, there was no peripheral test, and no depth test for your vision, I had been told when I registered in the morning that I would definitely have to do the physical part of the driving test because I didn’t meet the requirements under section 4 as explained above in my answer to the donkey. It was only that the senior officer in the building took my license and had a quick discussion with two other DLT officers  that they decided I didn’t have to do any further testing and they issued me with my license immediately, I didn’t even get as far as doing the multiple choice questions. 
anyway, many thanks to all above for your helpful replies ( with the exception of the donkey).

I think you are getting confused.

Everyone does the reaction and colorblind tests. Most people seem to do the perennial eye test.

It's the video, the driving part , thev45 minute talk and the multiple choice questions that expats seem to be able to avoid.

Agreed @brianthainessseems to want to pick holes.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Strange how I managed to get my Thai license, using my UK license without doing/having any of the above. But I'm not on a tourist visa.

Like I said before, different offices use different rules. I know of expats getting a DL on a tourist visa, doing exactly tge same as I did on a NonB and then a NonO.

Did you know, in Muang Buriram office you don't need to go to immigration for a residence cert. DLT accept one from the local police station. 50kms up the road 2 other ampher DLT offices, same province, don't accept one from the police and you must attend immigration. Another example of different policies.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

That is correct. The video is hit and miss. I've never known any expat having to do the multiple choice test.

They shunted me into the vid room set aside for Falang, only me, keeping awake was the hardest part, I noticed many Thais leaving their room and sauntering to the toilet and back.

Just after I left with my new license, within 100meters of the test center, motor bikes were cutting across the road in all directions just like the vid. Maybe they think the vid is how to drive. :giggle: 

8 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

17 years ago so did I  (a lady at the Land Transport Office) did wave a stick, randomly, at circles that were coloured red, yellow and green.

Not for any of the subsequent renewals that..... tested as per @youreavinalaffpost.

2 hours ago, kimamey said:

I think the reason for the online test was because it's something they do now, and because I'd been unable to renew my licence for 2 years they just got me to do it. I got a 5 year one as well. The first time I tried it was just a guy talking in Thai for ages, even though it was supposed to be in English. Then it just froze and wouldn't go any further. The next time a few months later it was OK, although I noticed it all seemed to be in Bangkok, so nothing like rural Thailand which is completely different.

The reaction test, I understood but the pedal wasn't fixed down so it just shot across the floor when I stamped down on it. There was an old guy one time and he'd tried and failed 4 or 5 times by the time I left.

The depth perception test, because it's in a box I hadn't seen before I sat down and it wasn't explained. I guessed what I thought it was but I wasn't really sure. They seemed happy with what I did and I got my licence.

I had my wife, or girlfriend at the time with me or it might have been difficult. She also knows a guy who works there as well.

Well, you probably did as well as possible under the circumstances.

It turned out well. Congratulations. Now no worries for 5 years. ????

On a personal note, I will keep renewing both licenses but actually let my Lady drive us everywhere. She's actually the steadiest and most defensive driver i have ever known. I have no qualms sleeping with her at the wheel. And, if anything goes wrong it's much easier with her driving. Of course we have 1st class insurance as well. I keep thinking I should get a dash cam too.

• Thumbs Up 1