US power strip from Amazon

NorthernRyland

Very unwise to use it in Thailand. Thailand uses 230V AC.  Things have voltage ratings for a reason. The separation distances and insulation in that power strip are rated for 125V.  Moreover the surge protection devices will blow at 230V.

Why not just buy a 230V outlet panel?

• Like 1

Ok, it's staying in the US ???? Thanks guys.

The power adapters you get in Thailand are absolute garbage, they break within months without fail. Can anyone recommend a good brand I can get which will work  in Thailand?

EDIT: ok I see the ones I want on Amazon so I'll try one of those but if anyone can recommend a Thai brand that doesn't suck balls I'd get that too.

Edited by NorthernRyland
  • Like 1

I have transformers 240v to 110v for a lot of pricey electronic equipment I bought in Japan and US. Is the equipment you plan to power off this strip 110v (ie American purchased) or 240v (ie Thai purchased). If you are powering 240v equipment a transform is no good. 

Despite the sensible comment above about fires, I have a lot of high quality Japanese extension cords that I use here in Thailand and have had no problems at all. But Japanese-made quality is high and I wouldn't do it with stuff from anywhere but there.

The picture you posted shows a combo box that does 2 things. First it's a power bar. Second its a usb power adapter.

The power bar part is usable. Amps are what's important there, not volts.

The usb power adapter is where any issues will arise. I use an anker usb power adapter rated at 110-240 v that has worked well for years. 

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Anker-6-Port-Charger-PowerPort-iPhone/dp/B00P933OJC/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=anker%2Busb%2Bcharger&qid=1693528300&refresh=1&sr=8-4&th=1

Edited by gargamon
  • Like 1

+1 on Toshino ^^^, we also have some Wonpro ones that have lasted well.

I try to avoid needing them or make my own. The plugs, cable and traily outlets are readily available, and you know exactly what's inside.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

Ok, it's staying in the US ???? Thanks guys.

The power adapters you get in Thailand are absolute garbage, they break within months without fail. Can anyone recommend a good brand I can get which will work  in Thailand?

EDIT: ok I see the ones I want on Amazon so I'll try one of those but if anyone can recommend a Thai brand that doesn't suck balls I'd get that too.

Easy to find if you have the name BUT in no way cheap 

they have them with USB outlets as well, I’ve got 2

invadeit.com is a reputable online seller. Personally I would avoid the Amazon ones unless they are suitably priced (NOT cheap)

IMG_6594.thumb.jpeg.3e8c2f79cddf00994e21714fc9c9504d.jpegIMG_6593.thumb.jpeg.be9ce20ee5e560cabc05d9a874ff3514.jpegIMG_6592.thumb.jpeg.21ed21c848b825a340e6de0b2ab434cc.jpeg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

invadeit.com is a reputable online seller. Personally I would avoid the Amazon ones unless they are suitably priced (NOT cheap)

I ordered a couple $20 ones to try but maybe they're crap too.  It's hard to know unless you try them. Powerstrips aren't exactly complicated devices and they should be durable even at cheap(er) price points. I don't know how those Thai bought ones fails so frequently.

13 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

I have had good results with Toshino brand bought on Lazada.  And they securely accept all types of plugs and well made.

https://www.lazada.co.th/shop/toshino-official-shop/?

Thanks I'll try that brand too. The problem I have is that without fail one or more of the plugs or USB strip fails and it only takes a few months sometimes. I have had some which survived for years but it seems totally random, like the factory has no quality control (probably).

4 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

Thanks I'll try that brand too. The problem I have is that without fail one or more of the plugs or USB strip fails and it only takes a few months sometimes. I have had some which survived for years but it seems totally random, like the factory has no quality control (probably).

I'm using Toshino and so far so good.

Just a thought but please make sure you buy from legit source (e.g. their official Lazada shop, previously listed on the thread). I've seen some too good to be true prices elsewhere and would think it's a copy/fake.

9 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

I ordered a couple $20 ones to try but maybe they're crap too.  It's hard to know unless you try them. Powerstrips aren't exactly complicated devices and they should be durable even at cheap(er) price points. I don't know how those Thai bought ones fails so frequently.

The Thai Powar Connex strips that I linked that I linked have a 5 year warranty, that probably explains the price, they are extremely well built so it’s unlikely that you will need to use the warranty.

FWIW my strips are going on 2 years old.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1