Is Tripadvisor not usable anymore?

Na Fan

I think it's way past it's prime and largely both unusable and irrelevant now.

It went downhill when they employed people in Thailand, suddenly places started appearing nailed at the top of the list rather than based on actual reviews.

They bought an activity booking company and suddenly their clients got boosted.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

I think it's way past it's prime and largely both unusable and irrelevant now.

It went downhill when they employed people in Thailand, suddenly places started appearing nailed at the top of the list rather than based on actual reviews.

They bought an activity booking company and suddenly their clients got boosted.

Try the forum, worse than here

We see no evidence at all that anyone uses TA when looking to book accomodation in our remote northern part of Thailand. The very first review the wifes homestay got on TA was a 1/5 from someone who had not stayed and clearly posted against the wrong property. TA refused to remove. So we promptly delete a few emails every month from TA trying to upgrade her membership (at our cost) 'for more bookings'. Bizarrely all her subsequent reviews on TA have been 5/5 and her homestay has been number 1 rated in our area for four years.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Na Fan said:

If you look at the top restaurants, and then taste their food - it doesn't add up.

Anyone else experience this?

Are they now faking their scores there too?

Yes, I have noticed this too. I suspect that there are a lot of paid reviews there. I would even go so far as to say that there are probably companies (probably in India) that contact restaurants on TripAdvisor and offer to praise them in exchange for a fee.

One way to increase your odds of getting a fair review is to just ignore the review of any person who only has one or two reviews on TripAdvisor. TripAdivsor shows the total number of reviews that every reviewer has made (I myself have done something like 50 reviews, for example, thereby increasing my credibility, I think), and if it's only one - and that one is just for that one restaurant - then it is unlikely that it is genuine.

I also ignore the reviews of all Indians - as they appear to be the ones being paid to do the reviews, as mentioned above.

And finally, I also ignore the reviews of anyone who praises the staff of the restaurant (waiters, cooks, etc.) by name. How many of the cooks in the restaurants that you eat in are you on a first name basis with? Unless it's a pretty waitress, I don't bother asking their name.

17 hours ago, bignok said:

The worst ones are written by the competition

Indeed. One and 2-star reviews are written by the competition while 4 and 5-star reviews are written by the venue itself. I'd go for mid-range reviews, ie 3 stars, paying special attention to which shortcomings are listed.

Note that in Thailand some people give 5 stars and then go on to write a scathing review. They do so to hedge against getting prosecuted for a negative review. This makes sites like Tripadvisor more confusing in Thailand than in other countries. My advice for review writers in Thailand would be to do exactly so. Since bad reviews are illegal, give 5 stars, then write away. Soon readers will catch on and learn to heed only the content of the reviews. And the Thais will have what they want, wall-to-wall 5 stars.

10 minutes ago, JackGats said:

Indeed. One and 2-star reviews are written by the competition while 4 and 5-star reviews are written by the venue itself. I'd go for mid-range reviews, ie 3 stars, paying special attention to which shortcomings are listed.

Note that in Thailand some people give 5 stars and then go on to write a scathing review. They do so to hedge against getting prosecuted for a negative review. This makes sites like Tripadvisor more confusing in Thailand than in other countries. My advice for review writers in Thailand would be to do exactly so. Since bad reviews are illegal, give 5 stars, then write away. Soon readers will catch on and learn to heed only the content of the reviews. And the Thais will have what they want, wall-to-wall 5 stars.

I cant be bothered writing reviews anymore. Unless im getting paid why bother? My reviews on hotel sites never got published.

You are right though. Lots of fake ones.

12 minutes ago, bignok said:

I cant be bothered writing reviews anymore. Unless im getting paid why bother? My reviews on hotel sites never got published.

You are right though. Lots of fake ones.

I stopped writing reviews on Agoda and Booking because they only got published if they were positive. My negative reviews only appeared for me (when I was logged on) but they were not visible for other viewers. This deceitful practive took me some months to notice. This was not the case on Tripadvisor though. Tripadvisor published my review (as well as other's I presume) for all to see in the order they got written. This must be said to Tripadvisor's credit. Tripadvisor remains the only platform on which reviews can be trusted to a certain extent.

Note hotel reviews everywhere are fundamentally flawed: reviews by customers who paid for a top-notch room are thrown together with reviews by customers who booked a basic room. Different customers are reviewing different rooms that have little in common. IMO any review should start by stating the room rate that was paid.

1 minute ago, JackGats said:

I stopped writing reviews on Agoda and Booking because they only got published if they were positive. My negative reviews only appeared for me (when I was logged on) but they were not visible for other viewers. This deceitful practive took me some months to notice. This was not the case on Tripadvisor though. Tripadvisor published my review (as well as other's I presume) for all to see in the order they got written. This must be said to Tripadvisor's credit. Tripadvisor remains the only platform on which reviews can be trusted to a certain extent.

Note hotel reviews everywhere are fundamentally flawed: reviews by customers who paid for a top-notch room are thrown together with reviews by customers who booked a basic room. Different customers are reviewing different rooms that have little in common. IMO any review should start by stating the room rate that was paid.

I've noticed what some people do is give the review 5* so it gets published but the comment tells the real story

3 minutes ago, JackGats said:

Some people are reviewing the wrong hotel. Some the wrong temple. Saw a cave review that was describing another cave 800km away 555. To be fair there are a lot of similar names but many people don't check.

I have started writing reviews for Trip Advisor in 2012 and have contributed over 1000. I always try to give info that I would like to see myself, including e.g. parking, accessibility etc. It has earnt me many "Helpfuls". As for looking for information myself I always read the "excellent" and the "poor" categories. In "poor" you often see some personal irritations, but I try to find the structural issues like construction site next door, bathroom dirty, poor service etc. I also look at how many contributions the reviewer has made. If only one "excellent" review for a new restaurant then you can assume this is staff, friend or relative. So with a critical attitude I think the information on TripAdvisor can still be useful.

On 9/1/2023 at 1:46 PM, Na Fan said:

If you look at the top restaurants, and then taste their food - it doesn't add up.

Anyone else experience this?

Are they now faking their scores there too?

Well established that some survey/review sites have admitted they will add positive reviews for a fee.