Repair person for electric clothes dryer?

wpcoe

My clothes dryer sat idle for the 3.5 years while I was gone.  Yesterday I used it for two small-ish loads of laundry, and for a third load it wouldn't run.  Any recommendations for a repair person to give an estimate on how much that would cost to fix?  I won't spend a lot of money on it, but if it can be fixed economically I might fix it.

• Confused 1

Num Chai Service Center on Sukhumvit has a 400 baht diagnosis fee, where for 400b, they'll examine your item, tell you what's wrong and how much more it will cost to fix it.  Then the option is yours to have it repaired or not.  In the past they've worked on my washing machines & Smart TV, solid repairs and never over the top prices.

If you can't bring the item in they have a pick-up service (but I don't know the cost as I've always brought my items in).

Edited by bbko
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, retarius said:

Can you share with us where you live?

In a Jomtien condo.

13 hours ago, pasathai said:

check the   switch on the door . they work loose 

Thanks.   I don't think that's the issue.  When the dryer runs a light comes on indicating the dry cycle when the door is closed and the start button is pushed.  That light still comes on now when I press the start button, but the drum doesn't move. 

12 hours ago, Everyman said:

They can be quite easy to fix yourself 

Unfortunately I'm slightly mobility impaired these days.  Ten years ago I would have been ripping the machine apart.  These days I pay for guys/gals to do that stuff.

12 hours ago, bbko said:

Num Chai Service Center on Sukhumvit has a 400 baht diagnosis fee

Thanks.  If I don't get a solid recommendation for a repair person, that's probably the way I'll go.

Thanks for the feedback everybody.  Well most of you.  ????

• Like 1

My experience in Thailand is the manufacture/distributor's service center provides the best service at a reasonable price.  This seems not to be true in the USA, where I am from, but I have had nothing but good service from Samsung, Siemens, Electrolux, etc.  

9 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

You must be the first person I come across in over a decade, in Thailand, that uses a dryer lol. The sun here does the same job usually in just 1 hour.

I thought it was from another country.  Like if someone said the heater in their car is broken and how to fix it.  But then again,  many people buying meals via grab and uber eats which I can only account to people having 180 thought processes than I do and not to be too concerned about it. People have different likes and dislikes. Kramer enjoyed his clothes right out of an oven although the pizza oven kind of pixxed him off. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

8 minutes ago, TimeMachine said:

I thought it was from another country.  Like if someone said the heater in their car is broken and how to fix it.  But then again,  many people buying meals via grab and uber eats which I can only account to people having 180 thought processes than I do and not to be too concerned about it. People have different likes and dislikes. Kramer enjoyed his clothes right out of an oven although the pizza oven kind of pixxed him off. 

Nothing beats drying it by the sun, also because you then not have to iron most items. Doing laundry in the wet cold country I am from used to be horror, here it is a dream.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

You must be the first person I come across in over a decade, in Thailand, that uses a dryer lol.

Try to get out a bit more, then, "lol".  

"The sun here does the same job usually in just 1 hour".

Does the sun in your neck of the woods do the ironing also or do you just go out lazily unironed?

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Try to get out a bit more, then, "lol".  

"The sun here does the same job usually in just 1 hour".

Does the sun in your neck of the woods do the ironing also or do you just go out lazily unironed?

I guess I have quality clothes then as my jeans and shirts are always as if they are ironed. Maybe you wear 50 baht shirts from the market, those always look horrible after washing and drying them. This is also why i not use a dryer, it ruins clothes.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Local electric repair shops are always best and cheapest for this kind of repair.  In Jomtien, on Trephassit 17 there is such a repair shop.  They will come to your condo and usually do the repair onsite.  If you exit the Rampho Market from the rear, that is soi 17.  Turn left and the shop is on the right not far down.  Look for old appliances out front.

They fixed my fridge onsite for B500 a few years ago.

2 hours ago, ricklev said:

My experience in Thailand is the manufacture/distributor's service center provides the best service at a reasonable price.  This seems not to be true in the USA, where I am from, but I have had nothing but good service from Samsung, Siemens, Electrolux, etc.  

This...

We have used 3rd party repair men before and for the most part they are chancers trying to wing-it - on a rare occasion we may get someone who actually knows what they are doing - I don't bother going 'local repair guy anymore'.

The repairmen direct from the vendor (Electrolux) have always been excellent - its easy enough to call up electrolux and make an appointment - a guy will usually rock-up within a day or two. 

(the same for AC with Samsung).

Costs vary of course, depending on what is repaired / replaced. 

Our last Tumble Drier repair cost about 2500 baht - with a replaced bearing and drive belt.

I'm not sure if that price is good or not, our drier is older than 10 years, it still runs well and has only required a couple of repairs.

A replacement new one would cost about 15,000 to 20,000 baht - the next time something 'big' goes on it, it may be time to get a new one. 

22 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

I guess I have quality clothes then as my jeans and shirts are always as if they are ironed. Maybe you wear 50 baht shirts from the market, those always look horrible after washing and drying them. This is also why i not use a dryer, it ruins clothes.

Incredible... Please advise where we can buy these self ironed quality clothes....    The maid thanks you in advance !!!!

Well, it took longer than I expected for the holier-than-thou never-use-a-dryer crowd to arrive, but they're here now.  Drying in the sun takes an hour.  Let me guess:  you all live in houses? And, you didn't consider that I might live in a condo and do laundry?

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, wpcoe said:

Well, it took longer than I expected for the holier-than-thou never-use-a-dryer crowd to arrive, but they're here now.  Drying in the sun takes an hour.  Let me guess:  you all live in houses? And, you didn't consider that I might live in a condo and do laundry?

Oh come on, Your just showing your age and level of grumpiness. :giggle:

I live in a condo when in pattaya,

dry clothes on the balcony, no problem at all.

Did you forget to buy a condo with a balcony :cheesy:

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, rocketboy2 said:

Oh come on, Your just showing your age and level of grumpiness. :giggle:

I live in a condo when in pattaya,

dry clothes on the balcony, no problem at all.

Did you forget to buy a condo with a balcony :cheesy:

Grumpy?  Who, me?  Why, you young whippersnapper...  ????

• Haha 1