Frustration mounts over costly and limited professional teacher exam registration in Thailand

webfact

I'm still trying to find out how the heck to get qualified in Thailand as a foreigner. Surprised to learn about an exam, as I had read this exam was been cancelled earlier this year and replaced by an online course offered by the Teacher Council of Thailand (TCT).

15 hours ago, webfact said:

“There are hundreds of thousands of people who want to take the exam, but they only accept tens of thousands. Not everyone has access to the exam venues, and the exam fee is expensive.”

Pee-up in a brewery springs to mind,

• Like 2

Despite all this, the result is that Thailand has possibly among the poorest education system worldwide. I - for one - never found out, what these "teachers" are doing with the kids over 15 years at school/university apart from slapping, extorting and the occasional quickie ........ 

But, as an outgoing ambassador once said in his farewell speech to a chamber of commerce, when education was touched, he said that he had "the pleasure of serving under not less than seven education ministers" in various assignments all over the planet whereas his "tenure in Thailand was blessed with three of them alone". I forgot the ambassador's name but the statement remains a vivid memory ......... 

My Boy is a teacher and after he finished Uni, it took a few years before he cracked it and scored a very sought after government teaching job.

One of the problems is that they do not mandate the age as to when a teacher should retire.

So the system is full of old relics lapping up the dollars and doing bugger all.

Now he has to return to Uni and do a masters to get ahead.

and a Thai masters degree is about as useful as a chocolate teacup.