Chiang Mai Free Night Out

Blinky Bill

Just wondering if there has been a very recent surge of new members to Thai Visa for the forthcoming free night out in Chiang Mai.

I notice from so many of the posts on another thread that so many of those accepting the invite to the Thai Visa sponsored evening have only 1 or 2 previous posts. A number have only registered in the past day or so.

It always amazes me how so many want so much for so little in Thailand.

But then it's none of my business anyway.

Edited by Blinky Bill

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also noticed this (I know I dont have that many posts :o ) I was thinking it would be a better idea if there was some kind of minimum post limit, if we stopped any free loaders TV could then perhaps allow people who contribute often to bring 2 or 3 guests.

I think you're being a little unfair. I read Thai Visa for a year before I ever registered, and it was some time later when I made my first post. I notice many RSVPers with only a few posts, have been members here for several years.

While I don't post that often, I to read TV almost daily. So I do understand your point. What I don't understand is the people with only a few posts and they say they are coming and bringing up to 5 guest ! It pretty clearly states 1 guest. I also don't understand the "newbies" who are truly newbies as they have just registered within the past few days....I may not post that often, even if I only had 5 posts, at least I have been registered for almost a year. I think :D

I wish I could attend, but alas, I will be in Khon Kaen...and believe me, I truly wish I were going to be here instead :o

Just wondering if there has been a very recent surge of new members to Thai Visa for the forthcoming free night out in Chiang Mai.

I notice from so many of the posts on another thread that so many of those accepting the invite to the Thai Visa sponsored evening have only 1 or 2 previous posts. A number have only registered in the past day or so.

It always amazes me how so many want so much for so little in Thailand.

But then it's none of my business anyway.

Well for once Blinky,you are on the money..err..so to speak. :o

Yep, it got me too,but there has also probably been a few lurkers that have the chance to meet a few people and then start contributing to the forum.I hope they do.

Personally,I wouldn't care if it was a pay your own way...this is what has happened with some of the other informal get togeathers that we have had, and it was a good time had by all.

Anyway,it should be a great night.

I wouldnt mind if it was a pay your own way either.

I also noticed a lot of new members posting.

I dont think post count matters so much as account creation date might as I would think most people create accounts even if they dont post for some time. Could be wrong of course, its just a guess.

Well, hopefully all are well intentioned.

we had a lot of new signups for the phuket shindig too. some wanted to bring ten people with them!

but to be honest, the more the merrier i say. i dont agree with people bringing more than their partner with them, as it has the potential to form little cliques, but two by two is good because people do tend to mingle more.

for sure it will be a fun night out.

Yes, I also read a long time before starting to post so perhaps it is a better idea to look at account creation. Im just speaking for myself but to be honest I would feel pretty bad just signing up so I could get a free meal! It may well be a way to attract new members but somehow I think TV has no problems regarding membership numbers as it is. Actually I agree with Chuchok, it would be better if everyone paid their own way and could bring more guests.

Anyway im sure its going to be a good laugh as it is!! So everyone have a good time, which is the main thing!!

Jake

Seeing as i dont drink beer and dont eat meat, i dont think i can be accused of coming for booze and a free meal :o (unless there is a veggie alternative? :D Mai pen rai either way, cuz ill just bring along some veggie grub to share ^.^)

My sense on this issue is that the Powers-That-Be consider this event:

1) a generous gesture to all forum members (even if registered yesterday)

2) a cross-promotional marketing opportunity (sponsers, etc.)

3) a way to attract new members, get more posts, drive more traffic/ad hits, etc.

This is called Marketing 101, and is smart. And generous. And I'll be happy to attend!

Thanks again to TV for creating this event...... :D

PS Blinky, if you promise to come on your pink Vespa, wearing a mini and those fetching 9" platform heels, I guarantee you'll give the new posters a thrill.

Just shave your legs this time, mate.... :o

McG

Edited by mcgriffith

McGriffith already said all the smart thoughtful stuff. And he's probably right. Free ribs would attract me like a bee to honey any day.

And I'm sure there are a few like me, though around here alot in the last year, I had a n account a couple yrs ago, mainly lurked, posted a couple things, then didn't check in for awhile n forgot my name and password. But then for some reason found myself actively here recently. I'm sure some people go in stages before they commit. Maybe the hardcore people can go to the front of the line though, eh ?

Me likee ribs sooooo much! I ja pen sabai jai mak tisut!

PS Blinky, if you promise to come on your pink Vespa, wearing a mini and those fetching 9" platform heels, I guarantee you'll give the new posters a thrill.

Just shave your legs this time, mate.... :o

McG

So I was spotted again.......You don't know the trouble I went to to get that mini and those shoes.......they don't make them for 6' 4" 115 kg frames here.

To be honest, I suspect that a lot of these newbies signing up are actually members of another - less honorable - web-site known for pranks like trying to screw up the count for Thai Visa, so there will be way too much food.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid? :o

I have been a long time reader of TV for a couple years, but never registered because I was still home in the USA. I've recently (Jan 07) made the permanent move to CM and joined in Jul 07 when I had something to contribute. I don't believe the date registered or the number of posts matters (some people just add one liners for kicks).

My main reason for this post, however, is a thought. If people want to bring more than one guest, what about charging a nominal fee (200 baht) for each additional guest? I haven't seen this suggested or even mentioned.

I haven't RSVP'd yet because I may be out of town. I would very much like to attend and will make every effort to do so.

TV is a super venue and a big thanks to all those who make it possible.

"...I suspect that a lot of these newbies signing up are actually members of another - less honorable - web-site known for pranks like trying to screw up the count for Thai Visa, so there will be way too much food."

Not a problem for folks like you n me UG. I can eat for 2-5 ppl depending on my ambition that day. It might balance out the beer intake too. Also, if too much food (halleluyah!) why not have a door prizes - 2kg bags takehome BBQ Ribs!! Ribs for breakfast, ain't nothin' better.

And what about reports of only 35 ppl showing up for BBQ's int he past. How can it be so different this time ?

Is it the power of ribs ?

"...I suspect that a lot of these newbies signing up are actually members of another - less honorable - web-site known for pranks like trying to screw up the count for Thai Visa, so there will be way too much food."

Not a problem for folks like you n me UG. I can eat for 2-5 ppl depending on my ambition that day.

I guess that I could force myself! :o

Seeing as i dont drink beer and dont eat meat, i dont think i can be accused of coming for booze and a free meal :o (unless there is a veggie alternative? :D Mai pen rai either way, cuz ill just bring along some veggie grub to share ^.^)

Eek

Tuskers has some vegetarian options to their standard menu, I have taken note of your dietary requirements. I suggest you send a PM to Miltonbentley and let them know if you are a ovo/lacto or vegan so that they can sort out an alternative for you to eat. It would also be a good idea to remind him about a week before because these things do slip minds when it gets close to thenight.

regards

CB

Eek

Tuskers has some vegetarian options to their standard menu, I have taken note of your dietary requirements. I suggest you send a PM to Miltonbentley and let them know if you are a ovo/lacto or vegan so that they can sort out an alternative for you to eat. It would also be a good idea to remind him about a week before because these things do slip minds when it gets close to thenight.

regards

CB

CB, Miltonbentley already sent me a lovely pm about this, and have replied. Its very nice to accomodate us veggies, and im hoping its an 'us', because i would hate to cause any fuss solely on my behalf.

My main purpose is to meet everyone and have a nice time, and im not such a big eater in in any case, so really dont out your way if its only me.

Look forward to meeting you all. :D

To be honest, I suspect that a lot of these newbies signing up are actually members of another - less honorable - web-site known for pranks like trying to screw up the count for Thai Visa, so there will be way too much food.

What forum would that be? Anyway if there is a concern of that kind then why not send a bunch of confirmation PMs a week before the event; Chances are anyone newly registered who is not genuine would not stick around to check PMs.

But anyway, let me submit another reason for the high number of new registrations: Some people may have become more than a little notorious, outspoken, even over the limit in their TV posting, so much so that they feel ashamed to actually show up in person. So, they register a new nick to appear all fresh & virgin, rather than everyone knowing "AAAAAAAAA so THAT is Neeranam!!!!!!!!!!" (just an example. :D

JS Patong

it could possibly be actual TV members getting extra memberships so there will be way more beer!! :D

.... amazing... the way you go on about ribs and beer... are there that many desperately cheap Farangs out there looking for a free meal? :o I just want to go and meet some of the people in Chiang Mai that I may or may not have been talking to.

.... amazing... the way you go on about ribs and beer... are there that many desperately cheap Farangs out there looking for a free meal? :o I just want to go and meet some of the people in Chiang Mai that I may or may not have been talking to.

Due to my religious commitments I don't eat pork nor do I partake in alcohol. I just want to take the piss out of certain people face to face rather than on the board. It will be fun to see the reaction.

And I am not afraid to reveal my true identity as mentioned by Sanpatong a few posts ago. I am not one to be ashamed or afraid of repercussions from the nature of my posts whether they be serious or tongue in cheek (quite a lot of them).