Did you get surgery in Thailand to repair a hiatal hernia ?

steph83

16 minutes ago, steph83 said:

Hello, could you tell me if you get surgery and if it was effective for you ? Do you advice to do it ? It seems that Omeprazole and Gaviscon isn't very effective for me. I don't drink alcohol, i don't smoke and i very care what i eat.

Cheers

Considered it, will never do it....in Thailand.

Try adjusting/experimenting taking omeprazole and gaviscon when it actually benefits you. I find that for example the usual advice to take it 30 minutes before the meal does not work for me that great. I find that it better works when I take it just before bedtime. Also try gavoscon advance which is a little harder to find. If your problem is hiatal hernia like in my case the biggest trigger would be spicy food and all kinds of junk and sauces they put here in Thailand. It has very little to do with the actual junk food we consider in the west. I find that carbohydrates are actually great for me and salad to be the absolute worst. Also it is very important not to starve of be hungry as not to overeat. 

What are your symptoms exactly? Do you have problem breathing?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Try adjusting/experimenting taking omeprazole and gaviscon when it actually benefits you. I find that for example the usual advice to take it 30 minutes before the meal does not work for me that great. I find that it better works when I take it just before bedtime. Also try gavoscon advance which is a little harder to find. If your problem is hiatal hernia like in my case the biggest trigger would be spicy food and all kinds of junk and sauces they put here in Thailand. It has very little to do with the actual junk food we consider in the west. I find that carbohydrates are actually great for me and salad to be the absolute worst. Also it is very important not to starve of be hungry as not to overeat. 

What are your symptoms exactly? Do you have problem breathing?

Hi Mate, yes i very care of what i eat and drink, only natural, no spicy, no fatty, no fried, no sour, no alcohol... I go to bed minimum 3 hours before dinner, i lie as much as possible on the left side and in an elevated position. I didn't know about starving... My symptoms are a pain to the throat, tinnitus almost every time and a burning sensation in my chest above all after eating. I used to take Omeprazole 20mg morning and evening. Life become a bit boring....

1 hour ago, Celsius said:

same went home to have my surgery for my hernia......

as i went to dentist here 2 weeks ago to replace a filling...my jaw still hurts....2 week later.....

i was set to get another tooth done and the doc says its from keeping my jaw open for a long period...i asked then why is the pain only on the left side where you did work and not both sides?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

same went home to have my surgery for my hernia......

as i went to dentist here 2 weeks ago to replace a filling...my jaw still hurts....2 week later.....

i was set to get another tooth done and the doc says its from keeping my jaw open for a long period...i asked then why is the pain only on the left side where you did work and not both sides?

your hernia surgery work well ?

I've had one for years and years. In the UK, the waiting list was hundreds of years. It doesn't bother me unduly, to be honest. If I really have a drinking session, over 6 or 7 beers (big bottles) I get discomfort and occasionally a reflux. I take Gaviscon for the reflux, and sometimes omeprazole. The only place I would risk having surgery in Thailand is Bumrungrad in Bangkok and it's an arm and leg for their 'package' offer. I'd try to live with it.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, steph83 said:

your hernia surgery work well ?

is my 2nd one as the first patch didnt hold--mesh......did both back home in the states

just felt better as far as if something went wrong as im having a minor dispute with my dentist and i know ill never win an argument in thailand as far a doctor making a mistake on my body

"insurance" so to speak.....so far the 2nd hernia op i had done is holding steady.....

at least i have the law to back me up back home should anything go wrong on the table

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

just felt better as far as if something went wrong as im having a minor dispute with my dentist and i know ill never win an argument in thailand as far a doctor making a mistake on my body

"insurance" so to speak.....so far the 2nd hernia op i had done is holding steady.....

at least i have the law to back me up back home should anything go wrong on the table

Yes, this is my thinking too.

Hernia repair is not exactly a straightforward surgery.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

@steph83

did you have an endoscopy done, and diagnosed with HH, or are you self diagnosing, as running out of things you think cause your reflux ?

Yes, i did endoscopy 2 times in 3 years. I have never heard about HH. I have a hiatal hernia, gastritis and a cardiac gap.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, steph83 said:

Yes, i did endoscopy 2 times in 3 years. I have never heard about HH. I have a hiatal hernia, gastritis and a cardiac gap.

HH = Hiatal Hernia

Other posters please note that a hiatal hernia is entirely different from inguinal or umbilical hernia etc. The herniation is internal, in the diaphragm, and surgery is both more complex and much more costly

@steph83 are you at all overweight? As if so weight loss will definitely improve matters. Also are you observing the following measures:

- no food or drink (other than small sips of clear liquids) for 2 hours before lying down

-elevating head of bed

- avoiding or minimizing caffeine intake

• Like 2

I've had mine for years and repair back home soon. However as often is the case, with so much assistance here, I had no idea stomach issues were related, well aware of those, but take milanta tabs, which I break in 4 sections, and use until improved.

8 hours ago, Sheryl said:

HH = Hiatal Hernia

Other posters please note that a hiatal hernia is entirely different from inguinal or umbilical hernia etc. The herniation is internal, in the diaphragm, and surgery is both more complex and much more costly

@steph83 are you at all overweight? As if so weight loss will definitely improve matters. Also are you observing the following measures:

- no food or drink (other than small sips of clear liquids) for 2 hours before lying down

-elevating head of bed

- avoiding or minimizing caffeine intake

Ok i didn't know about HH, thanks Sheryl. I very care about drinking too, only water and in a small quantity. About the weight, that's make me the more worry, i lost a lot included my muscle. I'm 60kg for 182cm !

2 hours ago, steph83 said:

Ok i didn't know about HH, thanks Sheryl. I very care about drinking too, only water and in a small quantity. About the weight, that's make me the more worry, i lost a lot included my muscle. I'm 60kg for 182cm !

That is very worrying and makes me wobder if there is more going on than just a hiatal hernia. 

Referring back to one of your prior posts wgat do you mean by "have a cardiac gap"?

And were you tested for h.pylori?

How long ago was the last endoscopy and where was it done? 

On 9/5/2023 at 4:38 PM, Celsius said:

Yes, this is my thinking too.

Hernia repair is not exactly a straightforward surgery.

exact reason why i went home where i feel "safer" and have "backup"  home team advantage

as my dentist visits here have been a forewarning... i learned the lesson

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Sheryl said:

That is very worrying and makes me wobder if there is more going on than just a hiatal hernia. 

Referring back to one of your prior posts wgat do you mean by "have a cardiac gap"?

And were you tested for h.pylori?

How long ago was the last endoscopy and where was it done? 

I got a pylori test when i did the 1st endoscopy. The last one was 3 months ago. My doctor advice me to check it every 3 years. I did it at Bangkok Hospital Korat.

I used Google to translate from my language. It seems that "cardiac gap" is not the good meaning sorry, i don't have any problem with my hearth ???? I wanted to say a "sphincter gap". It is never close.

48 minutes ago, steph83 said:

I got a pylori test when i did the 1st endoscopy. The last one was 3 months ago. My doctor advice me to check it every 3 years. I did it at Bangkok Hospital Korat.

I used Google to translate from my language. It seems that "cardiac gap" is not the good meaning sorry, i don't have any problem with my hearth ???? I wanted to say a "sphincter gap". It is never close.

I strongly urge you to get another opinion in Bangkok. In particular I suggest this doctor:

https://www.bumrungrad.com/en/doctors/Parit-Mekaroonkamol

Bring endoscopies with you on DVD.

Hiatal hernia should not cause significant weight loss such as you report. There may be more going on.

I have also sent you a PM

• 2 months later...
On 9/5/2023 at 4:18 PM, Sticky Rice Balls said:

is my 2nd one as the first patch didnt hold--mesh......did both back home in the states

Where was the surgery performed, by whom and what was the price please