Investment Visa with 10 MTHB fixed deposit - Experience?

Hi all,

A bit of background. I have a work permit in Thailand and Non-B through the BOI but my work is coming to an end. I would like to remain in Thailand so I have been looking into getting an investment visa by depositing 10 MTHB into a Thai bank account and obtain a visa this way, and get my wife an spouse visa similar to the one she currently has under my Non-B.

Few questions:

• Has anyone done this process and can you recommend an agent that can help with making sure we get through the process and paperwork correctly?
  • Can my Non-B be changed to the required Non-O without leaving the country to apply and change the type of visa? I imagine my company would have to cancel the work permit first, then I would have to leave the country and enter again with a tourist visa. Same for my wife and kid?

Thank you all for your valuable responses.

R

I assume you are under age 50. If not, see if you qualify for the superior LTR-WP (Long Term Resident Wealthy Pensioner) visa instead.

Changing from a permission to stay based on working (it is not a visa, Non B or otherwise) to a permission to stay based on investment is possible. The permission to stay based on working is cancelled at BOI with the effective date of termination a couple of weeks in the future (coordinate with the employer to ensure this). You then apply for a new extension of stay at ChaengWattana immigration.

I am unfamiliar with agents assisting investment extensions. Maybe, your contacts at BOI have suggestions. If all else fails, Siam Legal is almost certainly one (horribly expensive) option.

Thank you very much for your response. I am in my early 40s so this seems to be one of the best options, we will try to speak with few agents and will post whatever I find out. Ideally we would like to do the process without having to leave the country.