Mae Tao Clinic founder Dr. Cynthia Applies for Thai Citizenship

webfact

image.jpeg

On September 11, 2023, a meeting was held in the governing chamber of the Central Hall in Tak Province. The purpose of this gathering was to interview, observe, and test the Thai language proficiency of a group of elderly individuals applying for Thai citizenship under Article 10 of the Nationality Act of 2508.

Notably, among the applicants was Myanmar born Dr. Cynthia Maung, the founder of the Mae Tao clinic and recipient of the 2003 Magis Award, reported Siam Rath.

The meeting, chaired by Mr. Thatsanai Suthaphon, the Governor of Tak Province, featured introductions and a review of Ms. Sintia's extensive medical work along the Thai-Myanmar border.

Over the course of 34 years, she has significantly improved public health along the border region by effectively combating infectious diseases like malaria, providing vital healthcare services to an estimated 30,000 people each year, all without relying on government funding, amounting to a staggering value of 48 million baht annually.

Ms. Detset, a former parliament member and board member of the Community and Highland Development Foundation (CHDF), praised the continuous efforts of CHDF and the Health Promotion Fund (HPF) to address stateless issues, making it easier for long-term residents in Thailand to access their rights and seek Thai citizenship.

In conclusion, Ms. Detset expressed hope that the Ministry of Public Health, under the leadership of Mr. Anutin Charnvirakul, would prioritize addressing the pressing issue of stateless individuals in Thai society, transforming it into a flagship initiative for the ministry, as pledged by Thailand at international meetings.

-- ASEAN NOW 2023-09-12

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Thumbs Up 1

I have visited Mae Tao clinic, as a member of Chiang Mai International Rotary Group, simply amazing work. They have a building dedicated to prosthetics and a maternity ward where thousand upon thousands of children have been born. I ain't religious, but if I ever thought I would meet a saint, she would be the one. I can't imagine how many people would have suffered without her selfless grace.

IMG_3780.JPG