Thai PM says he opposes the recreational use of cannabis

webfact

1 minute ago, bamnutsak said:

Yes, he can.

Anutin, as Deputy PM and Minster of Health, issued an edict on 9 June 2022, which was published in the Royal Gazette, legalizing cannabis flower by removing it from the Narcotics Lists.. (Kratom, and Hemp too.)

The PM could issue his own edict TODAY, to add Cannabis flower back onto the Narcotics Lists, and instruct the RTP which reports directly to him, to enforce this new (re-) ban.

Oh well, a coalition of the losers will have its weaknesses! Perhaps he doesn't want to upset Mr Anutin ATM. 

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

The PM could issue his own edict TODAY, to add Cannabis flower back onto the Narcotics Lists, and instruct the RTP which reports directly to him, to enforce this new (re-) ban.

He doesn't even need to do that, just state that the law as it stands only allows for flower lower than 0.2% THC, that would do it.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/21/2023 at 12:38 PM, bamnutsak said:

So that's a good thing, right?

Nobody is buying cannabis (according to you), so nobody is smoking it.

Sounds like all the anti-cannabis crowd here, who love telling other adults how to live their lives, should be happy that no one is smoking cannabis.

My comment wasn't for or against the use of cannabis, I'm only commenting what I see.

Two of our local shops have closed down already.

• Confused 1

On 9/21/2023 at 7:38 AM, bamnutsak said:

So that's a good thing, right?

Nobody is buying cannabis (according to you), so nobody is smoking it.

Sounds like all the anti-cannabis crowd here, who love telling other adults how to live their lives, should be happy that no one is smoking cannabis.

There is a kind of 'law of business unsustainabilty' in Thailand, which can expressed in this way: instead of finding original ideas, people tend imitate businesses already opened by others, until that particular type of business becomes unsustainable (at least by farang standards).

Hence empty bars, shops, etc... and now cannabis shops.

Actually, cannabis is mainly used by farangs, and not necessarily the young ones. Thai people over their 30s are not attracted by drugs, and young people who like to party prefer to get drunk or to take chemical drugs (usually made in China).

So the size of the target market is limited (unless more weed smoking tourists are attracted), and offer from shops exceeds demand.

23 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

Yes, he can.

Anutin, as Deputy PM and Minster of Health, issued an edict on 9 June 2022, which was published in the Royal Gazette, legalizing cannabis flower by removing it from the Narcotics Lists.. (Kratom, and Hemp too.)

It was never legalised for recreational use.  Anutim also said at the time to CNN...

Thai Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said he expected legal cannabis production to boost the economy but cautioned that recreational use of the drug remains illegal.

“It’s a no,” said Anutin, who is also a deputy prime minister. “We still have regulations under the law that control the consumption, smoking or use of cannabis products in non-productive ways.”

Thailand just decriminalized cannabis. But you still can't smoke joints, minister says | CNN

People hear what they want to hear, often not what was said.  All these Cannabis shops that opened up should have listened carefully instead of following one another like sheeple, or as it will probably turn out, like lemmings.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Here is what is being overlooked..

By the time Thailand gets around to "normalizing" the cannabis industry some months down the road..

Germany will have legalized recreational cannabis, by the end of this year. Guaranteed. Done deal. This is important because Germany is influential for Europe, which so far has been slow to reconsider cannabis policy.

The FDA in America has just advised that it supports re-scheduling of cannabis from category 1 to category 3. Category 3 has minimal restrictions. This is relevant because the DEA in America answers to the FDA and have already seen which way the wind is blowing. Most American states now have legal weed.

When the Thai government sees that they will be giving up a policy which reflects well on their progressive approach, and sets them off in the opposite direction, they will make a few common-sense adjustments.. that do not cripple the new income source..

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, bobbin said:

Germany

They'll need every drug they can smoke, snort and inject as the factories close down and the citizens freeze during the winter months.  Don't overestimate Germany's influence; they're finished as a modern industrial nation and serve as a warning, not an example, of how to manage a country.  

I've yet to meet a Thai (who holds down a job) who uses marijuana.  They hate the stench from the smoke, as do most non dopers.  You won't see them marching in Bangkok for Western tourists' right to fire up the bong.

Perhaps Thaksin will be put in charge of the nation's illicit drug policy and there will be another pogrom.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 9/16/2023 at 3:18 PM, herfiehandbag said:

Hang about, for the last year or so all the potheads on this forum have been claiming that cannabis is entirely harmless as it is not at all addictive!

Meanwhile, you have the profile photo of a drug that killed millions and millions of people.

Gotta love the irony there.

Edited by shocky2012
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, shocky2012 said:

Meanwhile, you have the profile photo of a drug that killed millions and millions of people.

Gotta love the irony there.

No irony at all @shocky2012.

I don't have a particular view on cannabis personally, nor do I have any interest in using the stuff personally. I will admit that I don't like being around people who are smoking the stuff, but then I don't like being around people smoking tobacco, (or "vaping"); I don't like the smell of either burning substance.

The irony in my post, which you do seem to have missed, is that an enthusiast for consuming cannabis refers to the problem of addiction, when the central plank of the argument of many of those same  enthusiasts is that it is entirely harmless and not addictive.

As for my profile picture, very few here will understand the particular combination of my username and the photograph of a case of that particular brand of a German beer, there is no reason why they should; but there is no irony, either intended or unforseen!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

As for my profile picture, very few here will understand the particular combination of my username and the photograph of a case of that particular brand of a German beer, there is no reason why they should; but there is no irony, either intended or unforseen!

An enemy could make the case that your use of this representation, and Aseannow (as a publisher), are in violation of Thai law. Good thing you are not a member of MFP.

Alcohol Control Act of 2008

Section 32 also prevents anyone from advertising alcohol or showcasing any names or logos that induce people to drink, whether directly or indirectly. When alcohol products are posted on social media, the group highlights the significance to the public that advertising and sales promotion can influence and lead to an increase in new drinkers.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1303667-deputy-house-speaker-in-hot-water-over-a-cold-beer/

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

An enemy could make the case that your use of this representation, and Aseannow (as a publisher), are in violation of Thai law. Good thing you are not a member of MFP.

Alcohol Control Act of 2008

Section 32 also prevents anyone from advertising alcohol or showcasing any names or logos that induce people to drink, whether directly or indirectly. When alcohol products are posted on social media, the group highlights the significance to the public that advertising and sales promotion can influence and lead to an increase in new drinkers.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1303667-deputy-house-speaker-in-hot-water-over-a-cold-beer/

Indeed so. Mind you, it is not unknown for "enemies" (perhaps an exaggeration to describe them as  such, but certainly a person who could perhaps be described as having a moderate amount of power) to clutch at straws to "do the dirty" on posters!

Certainly you are right to suggest that one should be careful as to whom one crosses!

Edited by herfiehandbag

10 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

It was never legalised for recreational use.  Anutim also said at the time to CNN...

Thai Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said he expected legal cannabis production to boost the economy but cautioned that recreational use of the drug remains illegal.

“It’s a no,” said Anutin, who is also a deputy prime minister. “We still have regulations under the law that control the consumption, smoking or use of cannabis products in non-productive ways.”

Thailand just decriminalized cannabis. But you still can't smoke joints, minister says | CNN

People hear what they want to hear, often not what was said.  All these Cannabis shops that opened up should have listened carefully instead of following one another like sheeple, or as it will probably turn out, like lemmings.

You appear obsessed, despite being corrected numerous times you continue to insist, for some strange reason, that recreational use is illegal. Regardless of what Anutin did or didn't say, regardless of what you think you heard on CNN and regardless of your "informed" personal interpretation of the law open your eyes, there are an estimated 10,000 shops selling cannabis openly for purely recreational use. 

I always find it a bit strange when people who don't even use cannabis go to such a great deal of trouble  informing themselves (erroneously in your case) of the laws concerning it. I mean why would you even bother? Ok  I get it , you don't indulge, but you should stop trying to tell others what they can and can't do, just mind your own business, You are not a part time magistrate anymore live and let live

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1