Is It Really Cheaper In The Sticks?

LaosLover

Cities such as Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai are much cheaper to live in than Bangkok. It's unarguable rents are lower.

Medications may be more expensive, massages are lower cost. It all depends on what one wants.

In the village I can have a 1 hour massage for 120 baht. In CR, 200 baht. I have yet to see any in Bangkok for less than 300 baht.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Each to his own, Bangkok is a place I sleep for one night prior to getting the hell out of there.

To me, Bangkok is - besides Tokyo - one of the most vibrant and interesting cities of the world (which I know).

A dream to sit at the borders of the Chao Phraya watching the boats go by.

Bangkok is the place where I want to die. This is since 1975 when I visited the place the first time. It became a dream since then and I maintain a deep felt intense feeling about the place.

But we do not live there. My family is just moving to a house in a more rural, although central area in Chonburi which is not far away from BKK. By the way my wife does not like BKK.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

First of all, we don't call it the sticks. We call it living in the countryside.

Interesting that you should mention healthcare. The countryside is no place for someone looking to lead an unhealthy sedentary life style which requires taking a long list of medications and frequent visits to the doctor just to stay alive. It's for people who like to stay active, eat home cooked garden fresh food and have healthy gut microbiomes because they work with and stay connected to the soil. Besides supporting a healthier lifestyle, and keeping medical expenses to a minimum, there are plenty of other savings to be had as well.

For starters, produce from the vegetable garden and fruit orchards significantly help keep food costs down. This also allows you to regularly splurge on gourmet foods such as imported fruits and vegetables, coffees, nuts, seafood, condiments, etc., which you otherwise might only be able to afford occasionally.

As far as the comment about there being nothing to do, there's plenty to do in the countryside. You have just as much access to on-line and streaming services, can stay just as current on world affairs with newspaper subscriptions, order just as many books from Amazon, and do as much on-line shopping as you can anywhere else in Thailand, or in the world, for that matter.

True, your "entertainment" activities are more limited in the countryside, but who needs all that diversion and distraction anyway? You want a chance to grow philosophically and spiritually, commune with nature, enjoy peaceful living, you've come to the right place. 

You save money in other more subtle ways as well. It's a lot cooler out in the countryside than in an urban environment. I really notice this whenever I travel to a large city. With good cross-ventilation, you can dispense with not only air con, but even fans, so you can save a lot on electricity. Your wardrobe doesn't have to be quite as snazzy as might otherwise need to be in the big city, so there too you can save money. Instead of paying for a gym membership, you end up doing push ups and sit ups and riding your bike on back country roads, which saves a lot of money as well. Labor costs for things like lawnmower repairs, body work on a car, home repair, septic tank pumping, electricians, bicycle repair are still lower than they are in more urban areas. Parking is almost always free, you're less likely to be ticketed by the cops out in the countryside, and if you get into car trouble of some sort or need a ride back home because you got a flat tire on your bicycle, somebody will probably help you out for free or a small gratuity.

yor holiness just forgot to mention lao kao moonshine... ????

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Cities such as Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai are much cheaper to live in than Bangkok. It's unarguable rents are lower.

Medications may be more expensive, massages are lower cost. It all depends on what one wants.

In the village I can have a 1 hour massage for 120 baht. In CR, 200 baht. I have yet to see any in Bangkok for less than 300 baht.

Had one today in bangers 200 baht. Found Khao Soi shop with 69 baht dishes. Bkk has loads of 200 baht shops if you know where to look.

I just bought a big fresh Longan Juice next to the Nimman1 Mall. It was 40 baht.

Price in Udon? Availability?

This thread is for educational, not trolling purposes. No way am I moving to Udon to save $1,000 a month. Or even $2,000, if it came down to it.

I'd prefer to be in Silom spending more than in Nimman, but my wife will be impossible to pry out of here.

Endless vegan restaurant choice is now a quality of life-must have for her. We had Japanese fermented food twice last week. Of course, we could pop a head of broccoli into the microwave and then baggie it up with a little rice wine vinegar ourselves

Off to Sushi Umai. Ta-ta.

Edited by LaosLover
  • Sad 3

Just now, LaosLover said:

I just bought a big fresh Longan Juice next to the Nimman1 Mall. It was 40 baht.

Price in Udon? Availability?

I buy my fruit on my way home daily..she blends whatever i buy into a 32 oz fruit shake for free...yes a quart sized shake    25 bt      Nimman 1   (vomits)  where people go to be tourists and take selfies.....i took a taiwan gal there the other week and had to leave here there....she loved the shoes as shes a tourists.......i bailed after 20 mins to high tail it back to local scene...nope

same fruit lady sells me giant salad with dressing for 40bt......now go compare at salad concept on nimman....tourist vs local........i be that longan lady had a big smile for you too! ????  joop joop!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bignok said:

30 or 35 baht watermelon

Watermelon, over-ripe pineapple, so-so banana -this is the breakfast buffet trio at a 600 baht a night hard mattress place. Aim higher.

I just left a dozen years on top of a Blue Ridge Mountain. It's great to hear from people here living the equivalent, Thai-style. But it will take a long time for me to want that.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Watermelon, over-ripe pineapple, so-so banana -this is the breakfast buffet trio at a 600 baht a night hard mattress place. Aim higher.

I just left a dozen years on top of a Blue Ridge Mountain. It's great to hear from people here living the equivalent, Thai-style. But it will take a long time for me to want that.

Longan is upper class?