Name change > new passport > need new visa?

7 hours ago, LikeItHot said:

I can't speak for him but I am getting dual citizenship and the new country will be using my birth name which is different from my current passport.  While it should be ok it would be better if everything matched.  Naturally I needed to think about Thailand before modifying my current nation passport and it's effect on my visa and Thai banking etc. After research I decided to deal with problems if they arrise rather than rock the boat prematurely.  Bottom line is he should have researched this thoroughly before making a change, not after but also it is not always an indication of being surreptitious.  One thing for sure is that Thailand will make it as difficult and expensive as possible for him.

Thanks for pointing out the coming problems with the banks.

I asked Bangkok Bank,  and the answer was: a Thai will have a certificate of the name change. Without such a certificate they don't know what to do. 

BTW I also called immigration hotline.  They answer the phone, on a Sunday afternoon!

They don't see any problem at all. Just enter with both passports,  get a certificate from your embassy in Thailand,  and then go to immigration to rectify your information and transfer the visa. Maybe it's really that easy?