What UK Visa For Thai GF?

Hi,

Planning to visit my mum for 3 weeks who is 85 in UK next year. She wants to see her grand daughter before kicking the proverbial bucket.

I wish to take my daughter (3 years old) with my Thai Gf. Obviously we're Not married. Daughter has my surname though. GF has good job with oil company so possible to get 6 month tourist visa ? I'm  thinking 6 month tourist visa because I'm actually still married /separated  and will be taking my adult daughter with us to the UK from that marriage (she has dual passports/nationality). Fiance visa I would think is kind of a no no being still legally married. A touch Complicated, but those with abilities of shedding light would be much appreciated. Cheers 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Jaxxper said:

The UK visa process is quite simple.

I do not know how you can describe a 13 page application for a tourist visa as simple.

Virtually every year for the last 15 years I have been repeatedly supplying the same information.

I would suggest to anyone doing it for the first time to create an application and complete it. That application can then be deleted and a new one started, second time around provides a bit more clarity on what may be required.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I do not know how you can describe a 13 page application for a tourist visa as simple.

Virtually every year for the last 15 years I have been repeatedly supplying the same information.

I would suggest to anyone doing it for the first time to create an application and complete it. That application can then be deleted and a new one started, second time around provides a bit more clarity on what may be required.

I would also say that the process IS quite simple. The only irritation when doing these regularly is the repetitive data input that could be saved carrying forward this data from a previous application. Usually takes me 15 minutes to complete the online application for the missus and about 10 minutes to upload the 5 supporting documents. Another 5 minutes to printout the appointment confirmation, her passport copy and the VfS checklist.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

Then apply for a 5 year or 10 year visitors visa - less hassle and works out cheaper. If she has had 15 visas and always returned, then it's a shoe-in

23 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

I would also say that the process IS quite simple. The only irritation when doing these regularly is the repetitive data input that could be saved carrying forward this data from a previous application. Usually takes me 15 minutes to complete the online application for the missus and about 10 minutes to upload the 5 supporting documents. Another 5 minutes to printout the appointment confirmation, her passport copy and the VfS checklist.

So the fact you can do it in 15 minutes makes it simple for a first timer.

I don't see a problem with the Thai E-visa, that is simple, but many would disagree.

17 hours ago, sandyf said:

I don't see a problem with the Thai E-visa, that is simple, but many would disagree.

It is not difficult for a first time use, the stages are straight forward. Obviously, they would not be as quick as we are because they will likely be unfamiliar with some of the required information. Parents details for example.... Your suggestion to have a couple of practice runs is a very good idea to get them familiar with what is needed 

Of much greater importance is understand what documents to upload to achieve approval for the application. The full guidance notes are wordy and complex; understanding what the 3 key criteria are is vital. 

22 hours ago, sandyf said:

First time and second time was a walk in the park.

Read the requirements, provide the requirements, go to VFS, sorted.

As previously stated, knowing the important requirements is a bonus. Relationship, money, reason to return to Thailand.

Lots of info out there, namely here on AseanNow.

Edited by youreavinalaff
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

It is not difficult for a first time use, the stages are straight forward. Obviously, they would not be as quick as we are because they will likely be unfamiliar with some of the required information. Parents details for example.... Your suggestion to have a couple of practice runs is a very good idea to get them familiar with what is needed 

Of much greater importance is understand what documents to upload to achieve approval for the application. The full guidance notes are wordy and complex; understanding what the 3 key criteria are is vital. 

Good points. There is no dispute it has got slightly easier over the last couple of years as some of the technical issues have been ironed out but I have has so many issues with VFS over the years nobody is ever going to tell me it is easy. 

I have done visas for both myself and my wife in several other countries and the UK is the worst by far.

42 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Good points. There is no dispute it has got slightly easier over the last couple of years as some of the technical issues have been ironed out but I have has so many issues with VFS over the years nobody is ever going to tell me it is easy. 

I have done visas for both myself and my wife in several other countries and the UK is the worst by far.

I'd be interested what issues you've had with VFS.

There's not a great deal they have to do.

If you upload the documents before hand there's almost nothing for them to do.

2 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

I'd be interested what issues you've had with VFS.

There's not a great deal they have to do.

If you upload the documents before hand there's almost nothing for them to do.

VfS have also improved their service levels significantly over the last 5 years or so 

One failing (in my opinion) occurred this week when my missus went to submit biometrics. She had her IPad with her and was told that she couldn't go in with it. Unfortunately, they did not offer a storage facility so she had to leave floor 28 and find someone who was prepared to look after it for her. Nothing mentioned in the appointment letter and this was an (unusual) occasion where the staff were not helpful.