6 MUSTS SEE island visits whilst in Phuket

snoop1130

licensed-image-1536x1024.jpeg

Phuket is just the largest island out of around 30 islands that are within an hour or two trip off the island. Each has unique charms, great beaches, snorkelling. Some have exceptional accommodation for a longer stay as well. These are some the best known locations. Click the link at the end of the article to find many more excellent day trips from Phuket.

1. Phi Phi Islands

The Phi Phi Islands – principally Koh Phi Phi Don and Koh Phi Phi Lee – are always listed in the top destinations in the region. It’s a group of 6 stunning islands that offers some of the best Instagrammable experiences for the whole family.

Phi Phi Don is the largest and only inhabited island in the archipelago, and is divided into three main areas – Laem Thong, the main village that’s filled with shops, restaurants, bars, and hotels; the idyllic beach that hosts only a few exclusive resorts; and the southern coast which has a few hotels backed by a jungle.

By Peter Roche

Caption: Maya Bay at Koh Phi Phi Leh

Full story: Phuket GO 2023-09-19

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

The Phi Phi Islands – principally Koh Phi Phi Don and Koh Phi Phi Lee – are always listed in the top destinations in the region. It’s a group of 6 stunning islands that offers some of the best Instagrammable experiences for the whole family.

I was there in 1994. Beautiful. And at that time no buildings were allowed. Only day trip tourists. The island looked nice, but it was already too crowded with tourists.

And now, 30 years later, this is still recommended? Really?

But then, I have to admit I never had an "Instagrammable experiences". Maybe I missed something, maybe.

Khao Lak, certainly this time of year, is even more unadvisable for sea swimming that the west coast of Phuket.   Not a great selection of restaurants, and every where very spaced about and not easy to get to.   Fine if you want a holiday staying in the hotel and chilling out, but for access to other places of interest and entertainment, forget it.   January/February might be a better time for Khao Lak.

A lot of the local restaurants and stalls that were popular, closed during Covid, and never re-opened.   There is no shopping other than 7/11 or Mom and Pops.   As I said, great if you want a quiet chilled out holiday in a resort, though you might feel a bit lonely this time of year.

Edited by pagallim

1 hour ago, pagallim said:

Khao Lak, certainly this time of year, is even more unadvisable for sea swimming that the west coast of Phuket.   Not a great selection of restaurants, and every where very spaced about and not easy to get to.   Fine if you want a holiday staying in the hotel and chilling out, but for access to other places of interest and entertainment, forget it.   January/February might be a better time for Khao Lak.

A lot of the local restaurants and stalls that were popular, closed during Covid, and never re-opened.   There is no shopping other than 7/11 or Mom and Pops.   As I said, great if you want a quiet chilled out holiday in a resort, though you might feel a bit lonely this time of year.

And yet, I had an excellent Panaeng Moo & Somtam Thai, (80 & 60 baht) this evening, walking distance from hotel, with 6 others restaurants within 100 meters of that one.   Tasty & a bargain.

We did come through during covid, and it was a ghost town, as were most int'l tourist areas.

Haven't popped down to the surf, although I've been in the Andaman in late Sept/Oct, and April/early May without issues.  May is a bit rough though.

We were here, Phuket, past June, and only the surfers were out.

image.png.0a21267319e4b5619bd519d27a79a3b1.png

image.png.fc80a460856cfe3c453f6a1caa492cb9.png

image.png.5872ab5504abd5f5526eb337ba58d2ab.png

Edited by KhunLA