Does anything really matter?

bob smith

15 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Nope...doesn't matter. Existential nihilist most of my adult life. There is no meaning or purpose to our lives other than what we give them and/or make of them. And many people around the globe never even get that luxury. The universe and nature are dangerous and don't a whit about humans...or any life forms. Or any nonlife forms. There's no good reason or shred of evidence to think there's any god(s) or afterlife. This is it. Make of it what you can. Enjoy it...if so fortunate. Though not at the expense, harm, exploitation or suffering of others...including our fellow nonhuman animal earthlings. 

I agree mate. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I have been on the treadmill you describe most of my life.  Running fullsteam and getting nowhere.  The hampster wheel spinning full blast.

Each supposed life success which was going to lead to everlasting happiness faded into nothing very quick.  

The University degree.  First big salary, New home.  Promotion, more money.  Love. Car. Bigger home. Bigger car.  None of it was satisfying.

Then I tried travel, gambling, night life, alcohol, over eating.  Most of the vices.  Same result.  No lasting satisfaction.

Decade after decade of futility.  Having tried everything else without success, I turned to understanding my soul and how to nurture and feed it.  And the garden began to blossom.  Tangible results in health, fitness, mental acuity, happened automatically.  A pleasant feeling of life returned.

You are body and soul.  Learn how to satisfy your soul and you will find what is missing.  It would have been so much easier if I wasn't so hardheaded.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/25/2023 at 6:51 PM, Unify said:

'Nothing really matters' is not necessarily a realization that causes despair. I find it very freeing.

Although I would rephrase it. I'd say we make our own meaning in life. In the end, it doesn't matter, but it feels like it does. 

Agree. If more people realised that they don't actually matter the world  would be a better place, IMO.

When people think they matter they take themselves too seriously, IMO.

On 9/26/2023 at 1:43 AM, Mark Nothing said:

I have been on the treadmill you describe most of my life.  Running fullsteam and getting nowhere.  The hampster wheel spinning full blast.

Each supposed life success which was going to lead to everlasting happiness faded into nothing very quick.  

The University degree.  First big salary, New home.  Promotion, more money.  Love. Car. Bigger home. Bigger car.  None of it was satisfying.

Then I tried travel, gambling, night life, alcohol, over eating.  Most of the vices.  Same result.  No lasting satisfaction.

Decade after decade of futility.  Having tried everything else without success, I turned to understanding my soul and how to nurture and feed it.  And the garden began to blossom.  Tangible results in health, fitness, mental acuity, happened automatically.  A pleasant feeling of life returned.

You are body and soul.  Learn how to satisfy your soul and you will find what is missing.  It would have been so much easier if I wasn't so hardheaded.

Any tips on doing that? You meditate or read books?

20 minutes ago, bignok said:

I feel like driving into a jungle and living there somedays. The western world sucks.

After a few days of mosquitoes, leeches, snakes and scorpions I suspect your mindset will be different.