UK economy ‘will shrink for two years as eurozone and US grow’

Social Media

1 hour ago, candide said:

That's a good incentive for EU countries to do like UK and change the GDP calculation method by widely applying the SUT framework, in order to increase GDP numbers.

If I was the EU I would be more concerned with the illegal immigrant invasion and the fact that Germany's car manufacturing industry is being rapidly usurped by China. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

If I was the EU I would be more concerned with the illegal immigrant invasion and the fact that Germany's car manufacturing industry is being rapidly usurped by China. 

The car manufacturing issue is a real issue. It's starting to be addressed, but should likely be more rigorously dealt with. Otherwise the European car industry ( not only in the EU) is endangered.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

German auto makers as a group have budgeted an impressive 380 billion euros ($406 billion) on research and development and factory construction over the next five years, chiefly focused on electromobility

16 hours ago, JonnyF said:

More doomsday predictions for the UK.????

Be prepared for a small, largely unreported follow up article in a year or so where growth exceeded expectations and forecasts have been revised. But not until the bitter Rejoiners have regurgitated all the old lies and cliches for pages and pages, such as the UK not returning to pre pandemic levels (another doomsday story later proved to be a lie).

https://www.standard.co.uk/business/uk-economy-gdp-covid-pandemic-rebound-ons-figures-statistics-growth-recession-decline-b1104209.html

image.png.735b15edea8d207b5b04b97cb927f3bd.png

Back in reality, it is the Eurozone that is struggling.

https://www.ft.com/content/148adc6b-98f3-4655-a92b-913a232c9eef

image.png.18a4376bb724741e071925fe987fbcb6.png 

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/09/19/recession-hit-germany-is-facing-a-flurry-of-global-headwinds-goldman-sachs.html

As usual, you did not really read the sources you linked! ????

From your FT article:

"There was an even sharper drop in UK business activity, according to the S&P Global/Cips purchasing managers’ index, which fell to 46.8 in September, down from 48.6 in August, the lowest for 32 months."

Edited by candide
  • Thumbs Up 1

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12576969/UK-economy-outdone-France-Germany-recovering-pandemic-official-figures-suggest.html 

The UK economy has outperformed both France and Germany in recovering from the pandemic, revised official figures revealed yesterday.

They show that by the middle of this year, GDP was 1.8 per cent larger than pre-Covid levels – implying it is £50 billion bigger than previous estimates

21 minutes ago, Seppius said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12576969/UK-economy-outdone-France-Germany-recovering-pandemic-official-figures-suggest.html 

The UK economy has outperformed both France and Germany in recovering from the pandemic, revised official figures revealed yesterday.

They show that by the middle of this year, GDP was 1.8 per cent larger than pre-Covid levels – implying it is £50 billion bigger than previous estimates

As outlined several times already, they changed the calculation method by generalizing the use of the SUT framework, which most other countries have not done yet.

So UK numbers cannot be really compared with other countries any more.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/grossdomesticproductgdp/articles/impactofbluebook2023changesongrossdomesticproduct/2023-09-01

It should also be noted that UK GDP shrank by .5% in July, so at the end of July It's not 1.8% any more, It's 1.3%.

Edited by candide
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hmmm, Germany with almost less than 2% growth and 9% inflation in 2022, and revised projections of negative growth for 2023 worse than that of the UK:

"On an annual basis, the economy is now projected to shrink by 0.4% in 2023. This is a downward revision compared to the 0.2% growth projected in the Spring Forecast."

Economic forecast for Germany (europa.eu)

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Hmmm, Germany with almost less than 2% growth and 9% inflation in 2022, and revised projections of negative growth for 2023 worse than that of the UK:

"On an annual basis, the economy is now projected to shrink by 0.4% in 2023. This is a downward revision compared to the 0.2% growth projected in the Spring Forecast."

Economic forecast for Germany (europa.eu)

So your conclusion is what? Germany should leave the EU to improve its' economic performance?

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, RayC said:

So your conclusion is what? Germany should leave the EU to improve its' economic performance?

No, my conclusion is that believing articles written by largely agenda driven ideologs is foolish. 

What do you conclude from it? 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

What i would like to know, is what the GDP would be if we take out inflation. Surely if you measure GDP purely as the total value of production, it will go up when inflation is high. As can be seen in this link, UK is STILL below 2019 GDP.

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/gdp-per-capita-ppp#:~:text=GDP per Capita PPP in,of 30867.17 USD in 1991.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, candide said:

The article is simply reporting what Adam Posen is predicting.

Do you really believe that? The author took a few bits of data and wrote what they wanted. 

15 minutes ago, candide said:

Do you consider this article as ideology?

No, I consider it rhetoric. 

Edited by Yellowtail
clarity

1 hour ago, rickudon said:

What i would like to know, is what the GDP would be if we take out inflation. Surely if you measure GDP purely as the total value of production, it will go up when inflation is high. As can be seen in this link, UK is STILL below 2019 GDP.

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/gdp-per-capita-ppp#:~:text=GDP per Capita PPP in,of 30867.17 USD in 1991.

Correct.

Likewise the Government reports foreign trade inclusive of inflation.

So a 10% inflation rate will result in a 10% increase in trade value without any change in trade volume.

Edited by Chomper Higgot

5 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Do you really believe that? The author took a few bits of data and wrote what they wanted. 

No, I consider it rhetoric. 

So what did the author take out and how does it change the meaning of Posen's prediction?

6 minutes ago, candide said:

So what did the author take out and how does it change the meaning of Posen's prediction?

I only saw one quote from Posen, and it did not really support the headline, or the what the article seemed to be presenting. 

1 hour ago, rickudon said:

Real GDP is deflated. So GDP growth is calculated after the effect of inflation has been neutralized.

PPP is a different concept, it takes into account local prices, ex. You can buy more in Thailand than in UK with 1$.

Edited by candide

8 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I only saw one quote from Posen, and it did not really support the headline, or the what the article seemed to be presenting. 

So you are not able to substantiate your claim.

Posen's prediction (he is the co-author of the report) is unambiguous:

"The Washington-based Peterson Institute for International Economics (PIIE) said a drop in GDP this year of 0.3% would be followed by a fall of 0.2% next year while the eurozone and the US were on course for growth this year and next."