Jump to content

Converting from tourist visa extension to a Non Imm O retirement


Recommended Posts

Hmmm, so if immigration denies your extension for whatever reason( 800k seasoning, etc), the simple fix is leave the country for a day and reenter on a tourist visa.  As long as you have 800k available it seems impossible to not return to Thailand after a short border cross and meet the needs for a Non-0.  As long as you're willing to lose the ongoing consecutive visa extensions which might become an issue in the future, then there seems to always be a solution if you have the 800k.

  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, atpeace said:

Hmmm, so if immigration denies your extension for whatever reason( 800k seasoning, etc), the simple fix is leave the country for a day and reenter on a tourist visa.  As long as you have 800k available it seems impossible to not return to Thailand after a short border cross and meet the needs for a Non-0.  As long as you're willing to lose the ongoing consecutive visa extensions which might become an issue in the future, then there seems to always be a solution if you have the 800k.

You may wish to delete your post.

 

The OP is asking about obtaining a non O from a tourist visa entry.

He will use TM86 as part of that process.

Specifically he is asking re how many days is required on his permission of stay to apply for the Non O.

 

He is not asking about 12 month extension.

The non O will give him a 90 day stamp. 

 

Edit: your post is incorrect on every level. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You may wish to delete your post.

 

The OP is asking about obtaining a non O from a tourist visa entry.

He will use TM86 as part of that process.

Specifically he is asking re how many days is required on his permission of stay to apply for the Non O.

 

He is not asking about 12 month extension.

The non O will give him a 90 day stamp. 

 

Edit: your post is incorrect on every level. 

I stated just that.  If denied, leave the country and return for a Non-O (not an extension).  I even stated that you would lose your run of consecutive extensions which may be a problem in the future.  I could have been more clear but that is what I stated.  Seems too easy but I probably am missing an issue that complicates the process.  BTW, thanks for all informative post in regards to Non-O requirements.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Some offices (most) eg CW require minimum 15 days remaining.

Some require 21 days eg CM.

Some 15 business days eg Phuket.

 

Having a tourist visa  would be better to apply perhaps 30 days early.

No seasoning of funds required for non O application.

 

Just 800k in Thai bank account on day of application.

Avoid Jomtien imm office. 

This is just for the conversion from 30 day tourist visa extension to the 90 day non imm O retirement. Jomtien have said come back when only 1 day remaining, i said (to my friend who this applies to) they are planning to screw you

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, atpeace said:

I stated just that.  If denied, leave the country and return for a Non-O (not an extension).  I even stated that you would lose your run of consecutive extensions which may be a problem in the future.  I could have been more clear but that is what I stated.  Seems too easy but I probably am missing an issue that complicates the process.  BTW, thanks for all informative post in regards to Non-O requirements.

You are polite and won't explain things further..

The OP is experienced guy and thinking his question has been answered. 

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

This is just for the conversion from 30 day tourist visa extension to the 90 day non imm O retirement. Jomtien have said come back when only 1 day remaining, i said they are planning to screw you

Your OP stated Non O from tourist visa.

Jomtien is a rubbish office as I  noted in my first post. 

 

I'm not sure of your situation however I would avoid that immigration office at all costs for "converting" visa exempt or tourist visa to non O using TM86 and TM87.

 

There are some other offices that also ignore Thai immigration rules.

Not sure but Samui might be another. 

 

The "screw up part" of your post spot on.

 

On last day of permission of stay the "fat lady sings" front desk will ask for 5-15k.

Rogue office. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Your OP stated Non O from tourist visa.

Jomtien is a rubbish office as I  noted in my first post. 

 

I'm not sure of your situation however I would avoid that immigration office at all costs for "converting" visa exempt or tourist visa to non O using TM86 and TM87.

 

There are some other offices that also ignore Thai immigration rules.

Not sure but Samui might be another. 

 

The "screw up part" of your post spot on.

 

On last day of permission of stay the "fat lady sings" front desk will ask for 5-15k.

Rogue office. 

Op said tourist visa extension to non imm O retirement but yes literally the fat lady desk 7 will sing, I'll confirm to my friend he will be screwed

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Your OP stated Non O from tourist visa.

Jomtien is a rubbish office as I  noted in my first post. 

 

I'm not sure of your situation however I would avoid that immigration office at all costs for "converting" visa exempt or tourist visa to non O using TM86 and TM87.

 

There are some other offices that also ignore Thai immigration rules.

Not sure but Samui might be another. 

 

The "screw up part" of your post spot on.

 

On last day of permission of stay the "fat lady sings" front desk will ask for 5-15k.

Rogue office. 

Can he just go to another immigration office? which one? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, atpeace said:

I stated just that.  If denied, leave the country and return for a Non-O (not an extension). 

The OP enquired about obtaining the Non O.

He entered on a Tourist visa, then extended his stay for a further 30 days.

@DrJack54 is perfectly correct with his information.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

Op said tourist visa extension to non imm O retirement but yes literally the fat lady desk 7 will sing, I'll confirm to my friend he will be screwed

I have never had the pleasure of meeting said lady desk 7.

 

My office is CW and I find that they pretty much follow the rules..

 

As for your friend he could consider obtaining conversion to non O in Bangkok or perhaps visit agent such as Maneerat and provide his own money in bank.

Just agent to "assist" without full service to avoid money in bank

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Can he just go to another immigration office? which one? 

Seems your friend is in Pattaya area.

CW would be an option.

However as I just posted ...I would first try using agent in Jomtien to be "middle guy" .

Your friend still shows his money in bank 800k.

Guessing agent might do that for maybe 5-8k

For the subsequent extension your friend can do that alone .

No agent.

Perhaps not possible but easier than apply elsewhere.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Can he just go to another immigration office? which one? 

Possible, but he'd have to file a TM30 for an address in that Province.
Then there is also the question of producing a rental agreement and receipt.

 

The procedure and requirements are here:  VE-TV to Non O Retirement.pdf 

Edited by Liquorice
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Possible, but he'd have to file a TM30 for an address in that Province.
Then there is also the question of producing a rental agreement and receipt

The TM30 is a given and yes some offices would also ask for rental agreement.

Reports that "conversion" with just TM30 was possible at CW ..however anyone's guess. 

 

If in OP,s  friends shoes think I would ask agent price just to assist process with meeting his own financials.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

The OP enquired about obtaining the Non O.

He entered on a Tourist visa, then extended his stay for a further 30 days.

@DrJack54 is perfectly correct with his information.

I'm sure you are both correct and I'm missing something.  I know he entered on a tourist visa as I stated and now he wants to change to a Non-O as I stated. 

 

To make it simple - If I was denied an extension because of lack of seasoned funds, I could leave the country and return on a tourist visa.  Apply for a change of visa and put 800k in the bank that day.  I meet the requirements and I assume i would get the "new" Non O.  Then in 90 days apply for an extension.  I feel like a fool - what am I missing?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, atpeace said:

To make it simple - If I was denied an extension because of lack of seasoned funds,

He isn't applying for an extension, he's already been granted a 30-day extension from entry on a Tourist Visa.
Read the topic header.
Converting from tourist visa extension to a Non Imm O retirement

 

6 minutes ago, atpeace said:

Apply for a change of visa and put 800k in the bank that day. 

That was the question, and answered by @Dr Jack.

Edited by Liquorice
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Did you do you application at Jomtien? 

If not where,? 

At Ubon Ratchathani .   I read the topic header and was thinking that this would be a perfect solution if next year I ran into any issues when converting to the 65k income method. My post was pertaining to my situation and that is where I think the misunderstanding lies.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Liquorice said:

He isn't applying for an extension, he's already been granted a 30-day extension from entry on a Tourist Visa.
Read the topic header.
Converting from tourist visa extension to a Non Imm O retirement

 

That was the question, and answered by @Dr Jack.

Sorry for the misunderstanding - my bad.  I was referring to my situation and not the OP's.  I will be converting to the income method next year and if something goes wrong, was curious if I could do what the OP's friend is doing now by leaving the country and returning on a tourist visa and the changing to a Non-O.  I'm in a semi unique situation because of a divorce 2018.   The Ex got all three properties and a little money.  I was left with enough money to make it comfortably I thought until my private retirement kicks in at 59 which is 2.5 years away.   All cool after that.  Hence my questions about the OP.

 

Sorry again for the misunderstanding.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Some offices (most) eg CW require minimum 15 days remaining.

Some require 21 days eg CM.

Some 15 business days eg Phuket.

 

Having a tourist visa  would be better to apply perhaps 30 days early.

No seasoning of funds required for non O application.

 

Just 800k in Thai bank account on day of application.

Avoid Jomtien imm office. 

Why avoid jomtien? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, atpeace said:

I will be converting to the income method next year and if something goes wrong, was curious if I could do what the OP's friend is doing now by leaving the country and returning on a tourist visa and the changing to a Non-O.

Unless your embassy provides "income letter" you would need to show 12 month of transfers to change from tv to non O and subsequent extension using income method

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, atpeace said:

Sorry for the misunderstanding - my bad.  I was referring to my situation and not the OP's.  I will be converting to the income method next year and if something goes wrong, was curious if I could do what the OP's friend is doing now by leaving the country and returning on a tourist visa and the changing to a Non-O. 

You'd need evidence of 12 x monthly overseas transfers of 65K THB to change to the income method for a 1-year extension, the same being required changing from Tourist to Non Imm (Non O) status using the monthly income method.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, TimeMachine said:

Why avoid jomtien? 

Couple of reports that Jomtien were requiring 2 months seasoning to obtain non O .

Of course the actual rule is funds required in bank on day of application. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Unless your embassy provides "income letter" you would need to show 12 month of transfers to change from tv to non O and subsequent extension using income method

Thanks and that is what I thought.  I will have the 12 months of transfers for my November 2024 application and have already scheduled an auto monthly wire of ~65k on the 1st of each month.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Unless your embassy provides "income letter" you would need to show 12 month of transfers to change from tv to non O and subsequent extension using income method

Please be aware that Chaeng Wattana and other immigrations do not accept the 12 months of THB 65,000 transfers to convert from a tourist visa or visa exempt to a Non-O.  They do accept 12 X THB 65,000 for an extension but not the initial Non O.  

 

I ran into this 2 years back when returning from a COVID lockout.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, atpeace said:

Thanks and that is what I thought.  I will have the 12 months of transfers for my November 2024 application and have already scheduled an auto monthly wire of ~65k on the 1st of each month.

Please be aware that Chaeng Wattana and other immigrations do not accept the 12 months of THB 65,000 transfers to convert from a tourist visa or visa exempt to a Non-O.  They do accept 12 X THB 65,000 for an extension but not the initial Non O.  

 

I ran into this 2 years back when returning from a COVID lockout.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.





×
×
  • Create New...