Severe flooding in Nakhon Ratchasima sparks fears of 1980 disaster repeat

webfact

image.jpeg

Torrential rains triggered severe flooding in Nakhon Ratchasima causing residents to hastily evacuate their homes. The situation has raised concerns of a repeat of the devastating floods of 1980.

The Thai authorities are closely monitoring the situation, especially in the Lam Takhong area.

Khao Yai National Park Head, Chaiya Huay Hongs Thong, reported that the depression storm has led to continuous rainfall in the forested areas of Khao Yai National Park. While the rainfall was not particularly heavy, its persistent nature saturated the ground and caused water to overflow into the Lam Takhong tributaries.

Water levels in the Lam Takhong camping area have risen significantly, almost overflowing the canal, and have flowed down to the Orchid Cliff Waterfall and Huai Suwat Waterfall, further down to the lower areas of Lam Takhong.

by Nattapong Westwood

Photo: KhaoSod.

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-09-29

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

14 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Last week they were telling the farmers to refrain planting a second harvest due to lack of water.

For thousands of years farmers in Asia have grown rice during the wet season, which makes complete sense as rice is very water dependent.

Growing rice in the dry season which follows it not a good idea at all is it uses scarce water resources to grow an extra crop that the country doesn't really need anyway,

The government tell farmers not grow a second crop every year and makes absolute sense that they should do so.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

For thousands of years farmers in Asia have grown rice during the wet season, which makes complete sense as rice is very water dependent.

Growing rice in the dry season which follows it not a good idea at all is it uses scarce water resources to grow an extra crop that the country doesn't really need anyway,

The government tell farmers not grow a second crop every year and makes absolute sense that they should do so.

Nonsense.

Thais can and do plant up to three crops a year, we do.

First crop covers fertalizer, seed, fuel, etc. 

Second and third harvests will hopefully be profitable.

Poor water management and lack of maintenance of water storage/delivery is the culprit.

Thais will continue to plant there rice,sugarcane,etc., whether it fails or not because they'll recieve a subsidy of 500-1000 baht a Rai for failed crops.

"Thailand can harvest three rice crops a year"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice_production_in_Thailand#:~:text=Thailand can harvest three rice,of water per cultivated rai.

Sounds like you could use a refresher course in Thai agriculture.

"The Fragrant History of Thai Rice"

https://thaiginger.com/the-fragrant-history-of-thai-rice/#:~:text=A Cultural Staple in Asia,is ideal for growing rice.

Edited by MrJ2U
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Nonsense.

Poor water management and lack of maintenance of water storage/delivery is the culprit.

Thais will continue to plant there rice whether it fails or not because they'll recieve a subsidy of 500-1000 baht a Rai for failed crops.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice_production_in_Thailand#:~:text=Thailand can harvest three rice,of water per cultivated rai.

https://thaiginger.com/the-fragrant-history-of-thai-rice/#:~:text=A Cultural Staple in Asia,is ideal for growing rice.

You do not say where you live Mr. J, but up here in the north east there's no question that only one crop of rice a year is grown. And reason is quite obvious. As soon as the rain ceases, the river from which the irrigation water is drawn is reduced to a trickle and there is no other source.

The farmers here don't need to be advised by the government to 'only grow one crop a year'. It's simply not possible to do anything other than that. 

My wife confirms this by the way. She owns land that she rents into the family consortium. (and collects the rent partly in rice of course)

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

You do not say where you live Mr. J, but up here in the north east there's no question that only one crop of rice a year is grown. And reason is quite obvious. As soon as the rain ceases, the river from which the irrigation water is drawn is reduced to a trickle and there is no other source.

The farmers here don't need to be advised by the government to 'only grow one crop a year'. It's simply not possible to do anything other than that. 

My wife confirms this by the way. She owns land that she rents into the family consortium. (and collects the rent partly in rice of course)

Crazy!

We've grown up to 3 crops.

I live in the North East.

If you've got access to water and the right seeds you will be able to grow more than one crop.  They certainly do it in the North East.

Perhaps your confused between watermelon crops and/or sugarcane and rice?

Anyways, no arguments.  It would be interesting why they don't in your area.  Perhaps they don't have retention ponds? 

12 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Crazy!

If you've got access to water and the right seeds you will be able to grow more than one crop.  They certainly do it in the North East.

Anyways, no arguments.  It would be interesting why they don't in your area.  Perhaps they don't have retention ponds? 

I do know the difference between watermelon, sugarcane and rice! I walk out in the countryside every day. There are some retention ponds and irrigation channels that feed off them, but that only covers a small area. In that area they produce crops other than rice.

The main rice growing area around the village does not benefit from any irrigation other than the river, so one crop a year it is. 

Next up is peanuts. lots and lots of them! 

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I do know the difference between watermelon, sugarcane and rice! I walk out in the countryside every day. There are some retention ponds and irrigation channels that feed off them, but that only covers a small area. In that area they produce crops other than rice.

The main rice growing area around the village does not benefit from any irrigation other than the river, so one crop a year it is. 

Next up is peanuts. lots and lots of them! 

I like those steamed peanuts.

Anyway's, enjoy your weekend!  Tons of rain in our area of Sakon Nakhon. 

6 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Nonsense.

Thais will continue to plant there rice,sugarcane,etc., whether it fails or not because they'll recieve a subsidy of 500-1000 baht a Rai for failed crops.

Barstool urban legend  material.

Some  central areas of Thailand can produce  more than one rice crop in a year. The north and north east are devoid of rice crop. Some struggle with cassava which requires a lesser but minimum amount of soil moisture just to survive. Sugar likewise but growth is very seasonal

1 hour ago, MrJ2U said:

Crazy!

very limited areas  can have adequate access to  water for that. It is certainly not a "typical " situation .

• Thanks 1

FIL has a large retention pond, I once asked why he doesn't do a second crop, he said not worth it, no one else does two locally; so any rice loving pests be it birds or bugs congregate there and damage the crop, also its hard to find a harvest crew that is interested in doing a combine job on one farm as its not really worth it to them unless you pay over the odds.

Sounds plausible to me 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PR3 said:

FIL has a large retention pond, I once asked why he doesn't do a second crop, he said not worth it, no one else does two locally; so any rice loving pests be it birds or bugs congregate there and damage the crop, also its hard to find a harvest crew that is interested in doing a combine job on one farm as its not really worth it to them unless you pay over the odds.

Sounds plausible to me 

Yep.

That counters the laziness accusation that I have often heard put forward.