Chiang Mai to Mukdahan - how-to?

LingonBerry

3 minutes ago, LingonBerry said:

There used to be a green bus from Chiang Mai to Mukdahan but can't find the schedule anymore. What is the best or most convenient option to travel within 36 hours from Chiang Mai to Mukdahan.

I hate flying because I have a phobia.

Should be a bus to Khon Kaen or Ubon from CM. Dangerous at night though. Planes are less dangerous.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Bus CM to khon khen, van from KK to Muk (every 30 mins daytime only).

theres a nice clean yellow bus at CM bus that goes to KK  i like that they use 2 driver for night bus..is in the back side..maybe stall 11..cant miss it..green bus has really fallen to cr*p

19 hours ago, LingonBerry said:

There used to be a green bus from Chiang Mai to Mukdahan but can't find the schedule anymore. What is the best or most convenient option to travel within 36 hours from Chiang Mai to Mukdahan.

I hate flying because I have a phobia.

I assume you don't plan on driving. I drove from CM to Roiet in 1 day. Mukdahan is a little further. I know the roads are crazy but after having driven a fair bit in Thailand CM seems to have the craziest drivers. Even a Thai told me CM had the worst.

4 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

CM seems to have the craziest drivers. Even a Thai told me CM had the worst.

Each local says this about their respective province, it's wierd, almost like a badge of honour for having the worst drivers,.......

Yellow/Grey bus company operates a daily service from Chiang Mai right across country to Ubon Ratchathani (a very long journey!). It travels via Uttaradit, Phitsanulok, Lomsak, Chum Phae and Khon Kaen onwards to Ubon. Maybe it visits Mukdahan before terminating in Ubon. If not, alight at Khon Kaen Bus Station and get a bus onwards to Mukdahan. I used this service overnight to Chum Phae - 11 hours!! Sombat Tours operate a VIP bus from Chiang Mai to Khon Kaen. If you go to the main Arcade Bus Station in Chiang Mai, the enquiry office/bus company office will be able to help you ,as they did for me.

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

Fly to Khon Kaen - trust me this is the best option. I've done it a few times. Very easy, KK airport is very comfortable. Grab a room and wait for the bus that leaves in the middle of the night (there is only one bus per day from KK to Mukdahan and it is extremely comfortable). DON'T take the minivan that leaves every couple of hours. The vans are in very bad condition, the drivers drive very dangerously, A/C doesn't work, seats are oversold, etc. and the drive from KK to Mukdahan is by far the worst I have ever encountered anywhere in Thailand. At least on the bus you can sleep.

Edited by elektrified