Hua Hin spotlighted by Forbes as top destination for the over-60s

webfact

image.jpeg

In a recent feature by Forbes, Hua Hin has been spotlighted as a top international destination for the over-60s.

The accolade comes from Kathleen Peddicord, a journalist with over three decades of experience reporting on the best overseas destinations for living, retiring, and doing business.

Peddicord has visited thousands of locations and has been in touch with numerous expats and experts. Her evaluation of Hua Hin, and other such prime locations, took into account several key criteria including the availability and affordability of real estate, cultural and entertainment opportunities, healthcare quality, safety standards, climate, ease of transport, and the feasibility of English as a daily-use language.

In the article titled 3 Great Places Across The World To Live In Your 60s, Peddicord wrote of Hua Hin being a safe place for expats to live.

By Online Reporter

TOP: Tourists on Hua Hin beach. File photo

Full story: Hua Hin Today 2023-10-02

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Her evaluation of Hua Hin, and other such prime locations, took into account several key criteria including the availability and affordability of real estate, cultural and entertainment opportunities, healthcare quality, safety standards, climate, ease of transport, and the feasibility of English as a daily-use language.

There definitely are worse places than Hua Hin ... but the article is not very accurate .

3 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Yes, but bit misleading - only condos !

Agreed.  Buying a good quality house/villa in Hua Hin is almost as expensive as buying a similar dwelling in the main "tropical" and "sub-tropical" tourist areas in Australia, eg Cairns or the Gold Coast.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

The last few years  the wife and myself enjoy going to Hua Hin every Christmas and New Year as it was  low key and not to crowded

with tourists ????

Now all I am reading its being high lighted as the place to visit 

Which no doubt will increase the hotel prices  ect ????

Will see when we visit again this Christmas ???? 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Quit the fake news about bad air. I have spent many Winters from December to March, and the air has been far better than                                                the blue haze of Chiang Mai, or other parts of northern Thailand.  The presence of the Military and police,                                                                               makes me feel a bit safer than when I am in Pattaya.  I have a nice guest house where I get a clean room with laundry service near by

as well. I also know of many good eating places in Hua Hin for  my vacations.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/2/2023 at 9:08 AM, shackleton said:

The last few years  the wife and myself enjoy going to Hua Hin every Christmas and New Year as it was  low key and not to crowded

with tourists ????

Now all I am reading its being high lighted as the place to visit 

Which no doubt will increase the hotel prices  ect ????

Will see when we visit again this Christmas ???? 

Be prepared for a wee bit a sticker shock with hotels.  They are really getting silly priced of late, and it's not even high  season.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Stargeezr said:

Quit the fake news about bad air. I have spent many Winters from December to March, and the air has been far better than                                                the blue haze of Chiang Mai, or other parts of northern Thailand.  The presence of the Military and police,                                                                               makes me feel a bit safer than when I am in Pattaya.  I have a nice guest house where I get a clean room with laundry service near by

as well. I also know of many good eating places in Hua Hin for  my vacations.

Make no mistake, the air is bad.  You won't notice in town, but you also won't see the hills to the west for about 4-6 months, when AQI #s are 75-150.   That's just the visual downside, which means along with that, the PM2.5 will be 2 to 10 X healthy levels, which you can't see.

On 10/4/2023 at 5:05 AM, Stargeezr said:

Military and police

????Maybe when a military exercise with soldiers loaded up on trucks passing by and likewise with police unless guards at a special event or in the police boxes in centre of town ???? However I see and hear a lot of ambulances 24/7 .

Felt

• 2 weeks later...

Hua Hin is amongst the most boring places I've visited in Thailand. There's nothing to do there. Everything is flat. The bar scene sucks big time. Not the nicest crowd in Thailand to be fair. The beach is disgusting and the sea is super salty.

I mean once you've been to Khao Takiab and the old town, you're more or less done. True you can take a car a go see a couple of waterfalls and a fake italian town a couple of kilometers away. But man, I wouldn't like to retire there even if I was paid for it.

They got an excellent immigration office at Blueport though. One of the best I've been to in Thailand - super friendly and fast.

No seriously, I'm calling BS on that one :)) Forbes is full of it.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I agree with Forbes on this one. In my opinion HH is the best destination for retirees. I've lived there a few times over the years and stayed there for 4 nights last month. If you look for accommodation near the beach then that's expensive, but move in 2kms and monthly rentals are very reasonable, with some lovely views. HH is not so far from BKK, which is a plus if you need to go there for any reason (airport, embassy, business) It's also the gateway to the South if you want to go to Samui or Phuket or Krabi. HH has excellent food for all budgets, good shopping at the Village & Blueport. There's a bar & music scene. HH has a lot going for it. I'd far prefer to retire there than BKK or Pattaya.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...