Police chief confirms 2 dead with reports of at least one more fatality in Bangkok mass shooting

webfact

37 minutes ago, Henryford said:

That's a joke right. Almost everyone here seems to have access to a gun if they want,

Sure seems that way. My ex's nephew, I think 15 or 16 at the time, was in possession of three just in the time I was staying here. All three times he was taken to the local police station, and they let grandma come and pick him up, because it's her house he and his mom are staying at. One time I was there and he ran past me, throwing a gun to the ground nearby, with the police running after him. Another time I was in the bedroom (before our house was built) at grandma's and he came running into the room, then ran out. A few seconds later a cop ran into the room, looked around, then went after him outside and caught him. He is now, on drug charges, in prison for 7 years. I'm thinking although he was let go those other times, they had his record handy when he was busted.

2 hours ago, NemoH said:

Originally planning a Christmas in Siam Kempinski hotel but now all plans changed .. I believe tourists will start to avoid the place like plague .. Christmas is just 2 months away.. 

You are joking yes siam paragon is too much of a meeting shopping place.  It will be just as busy today as it was yesterday.

The problem they have is that there's little control on exits and entrances especially the big one at the BTS most people just walk on through.  Never seen anyone stopped.

The parking attendants and mall security did a great job. Controlling the people and getting them moving in the right direction.

Notice how the news organizations including capital newspapers (puppets) are moving on already from public murders. All bad publicity when foreigners killed while shopping . This should be big news for a week and the reasons and consequences..but in Thailand. NO Chance 

3 hours ago, spermwhale said:

Thailand already has strict gun control laws. It's not easy to buy one legally. However there are many illegal guns floating around. It's not hard to find one. 

Only if you live in the sticks otherwise they are plentiful 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AdamRich said:

I think that was the point. Laws only hinder law abiding people. Criminals are going to break the law regardless. Most places have laws not to kill, but people still do it. The only difference is the manner in which they choose to do it. Outlaw guns and those intent to kill will use knives, hammers, cars, or whatever else they can get their hands on.

Hogwash. Let's take US & Japan. Murder rate in US is 26 times higher than Japan. Japan has .6 guns per 100 people, USA has 88.8. Are people in USA 26 times more crazy (may be...) than Japan or is it access to easy and quick way to kill someone that plays a large part. Using knives, hammers, strangling, etc takes more effort that pulling a trigger... perhaps that puts a bit of a brake on homicides?

I taught teen gangsters in USA. Several times they had guns in classroom (lucky I didn't know at the time). On average, one out of 18 caseload died per year or killed someone due to gun violence: killings, being killed or killing self. Never pills or any other method. Always guns.

https://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/Japan/United-States/Crime/Violent-crime

• Thumbs Up 1

Two dead, five wounded in Siam Paragon shooting, suspect used modified BB gun

image.jpeg

Pol Gen Torsak Sukvimol, the national police chief, at Siam Paragon on Oct 3, 2023

A Chinese tourist and a woman from Myanmar were killed at Siam Paragon shopping mall in Bangkok on Tuesday afternoon, by a teenager using a modified BB gun, according to Pol Gen Torsak Sukvimol, the national police chief.

Five other people were also injured, three of whom are being treated at Chulalongkorn Hospital, with two in a serious condition. Their Majesties the King and Queen have placed them under Royal patronage. The two others are being treated at the Police General and Bangkok Christian hospitals.

Pol Gen Torsak told the media late Tuesday night said that the suspected gunman did not speak coherently, because he has a mental problem for which he has received treatment at Rajavithi Hospital, but had lately not been taking the medication prescribed by his doctor. The suspect appears to suffer from hallucinations.

Full story: Thai PBS 2023-10-04

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 1

If there are two dead and one more fatality, doesn't that mean that there are 3 dead?

Why doesn't the police chief and the headline say "Police chief says 3 dead....". Not only would this be less words, but would be a snappier headline. A friend pointed this out to me.

Chinese and Burmese killed, 5 injured, twins rescued in shooting rampage at Siam Paragon Bangkok
by Petch Petpailin

image.jpeg

Photo by Sakchai Lalit via AP.

The shooting rampage at Bangkok’s Siam Paragon shopping mall yesterday tragically claimed the lives of a Chinese woman and a Burmese woman, and injured five others while a brave Thai woman rescued Chinese twins after their mother was killed.

The Royal Thai Police (RTP) announced that the shooting occurred at the mall yesterday afternoon, October 3, resulting in the deaths of two individuals, not three as originally reported. Among the five injured, there are three Thai nationals, one Chinese individual, and one Laotian.

The 14 year old gunman was apprehended on the mall’s third floor at about 5.06pm. He is currently in police custody, although he has not yet been questioned due to concerns about his mental state. The interrogation will be conducted by a psychologist.

A Thai woman took to Twitter (X) yesterday to share the story of the Chinese couple’s daughter. She included a picture of the children with the caption.

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-10-04

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, JensenZ said:
  5 hours ago, spermwhale said:

Thailand already has strict gun control laws. It's not easy to buy one legally. However there are many illegal guns floating around. It's not hard to find one. 

No it does not, guns do not have to be locked in a gun cabinet bolted to a wall. so anyone can take the gun. 

PM Visits Victims of Shooting Incident

image.jpeg

BANGKOK, Oct 4 (TNA) – Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin on Tuesday visited the injured victims of the shooting incident at Siam Paragon and expressed that such an incident should not have happened.

The Prime Minister and Public Health Minister Cholnan Srikaew visited three injured victims including a Chinese tourist at the King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital.

Two women –one from China and the other from Myanmar were killed in the incident. Five other people – one Lao national, one Chinese and three Thais – were injured.

Full story: TNA-MCOT 2023-10-04

My heart goes out to those affected by this tragic event: the victims, and their families too, the security personnel, the people in the store at the time. My questions are: why didn't the boy's friends, parents, teachers and psychiatrist realise what he had in mind? If the report is correct that he was telling his friends online about the weapon he had, and they knew he suffering from paranoid delusions, they could have reacted too. More decisive preventive measures could have been taken, on several fronts. The challenge Siam Paragon and similar stores face now is how to screen incoming customers more effectively. Not an easy task to pick out a young teenager as an imminent assassin, unless he looks or acts as if he's crazy right from the start. If this boy was also adept at deception, at hiding his intentions, perhaps nothing could have stopped him doing what he did. As to whether this means tourists & customers should stay away from the stores, they can hold in mind, that statistically speaking, crossing a road or riding a motorbike are far more dangerous activities than shopping. 

5 hours ago, AdamRich said:

I think that was the point. Laws only hinder law abiding people. Criminals are going to break the law regardless. Most places have laws not to kill, but people still do it. The only difference is the manner in which they choose to do it. Outlaw guns and those intent to kill will use knives, hammers, cars, or whatever else they can get their hands on.

Absolutely spot on!! Other countries have extremely strict gun control laws, but criminals can always get them!

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

An assortment of ammunition and shooting paraphernalia were found in his room.

The officers were shocked at the array of ammunition and material found there. 

Did his parents not notice? next his mummy will come along telling us all he is such a nice boy. Mum and Dad need a good slapping, especially if he does indeed have mental health issues, did they never enter his room? They are complicit as well. IMO 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

Gun crime in the UK is still a VERY rare thing, accounting for only 4% of homicides.  

'There were 28 homicide victims killed by shooting in the year ending March 2022 (4% of all homicides), seven fewer than the previous year. The number of these offences is 30% lower than a decade ago (40 in the year ending March 2012).'   https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/crimeandjustice/articles/homicideinenglandandwales/march2022

This is compared to the USA where 246 people were killed with guns in 2022 in New York ALONE. 

Accessability to guns plays a huge part in the numbers and thankfully it is VERY hard to get hold of a gun in the UK (hence the relatively low numbers). Knife crime however still plays a major part in UK homicides but if the same people had easy access to guns, I don't think anyone is denying homicide numbers would be much, much higher.  

Not arguing with you at all, but my point is still valid, any criminal can get a gun in the UK, in the USA its the same but much easier!

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Emdog said:

Hogwash. Let's take US & Japan. Murder rate in US is 26 times higher than Japan. Japan has .6 guns per 100 people, USA has 88.8. Are people in USA 26 times more crazy (may be...) than Japan or is it access to easy and quick way to kill someone that plays a large part. Using knives, hammers, strangling, etc takes more effort that pulling a trigger... perhaps that puts a bit of a brake on homicides?

Japan vs USA...  Is it the culture that keeps the murder rate low or the laws?

Example, my neighborhood in Texas probably has as many guns per household as any in the USA.  Yet no shootings in over 30 years, if ever.  A neighborhood across town that, due to economics, has a much lower rate of gun ownership has shootings every week or so. 

So it's not the prevalence of guns, it's the culture.

• Like 1