Thinking of coming to Koh Chang next few weeks

Kenny202

2 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Anyone live there have any idea if it is a busy time or not? We don't like the crowds ????

I was there 3 weeks ago. It's low season so the hotel prices are much, much cheaper than high season, which starts 1 Nov. Not crowded at all right now but the water was very rough and murky. 

33 minutes ago, Furioso said:

I was there 3 weeks ago. It's low season so the hotel prices are much, much cheaper than high season, which starts 1 Nov. Not crowded at all right now but the water was very rough and murky. 

Actually it popped up on our Facebook a couple of weeks ago as a memory on Facebook from two years ago when we would have been there about when you said. The water / beach was pretty ordinary then too and weather overcast most days. 

Just now, Kenny202 said:

Actually it popped up on our Facebook a couple of weeks ago as a memory on Facebook from two years ago when we would have been there about when you said. The water / beach was pretty ordinary then too and weather overcast most days. 

I'm going again for 3 nights in Jan. I think I'll enjoy the crowds and nice weather/beach/water much more. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

While we're at it, hotel we normally stay great location and everything else but breakfast a bit ordinary. Can anyone recommend a good buffet breaky somewhere?

Same thing happened to me. When I go again in Jan I'm going to bring a ton of food to eat in my room to make up for the bland breakfast then eat at restaurants for lunch and dinner, which are much better. 

2 hours ago, Furioso said:

Same thing happened to me. When I go again in Jan I'm going to bring a ton of food to eat in my room to make up for the bland breakfast then eat at restaurants for lunch and dinner, which are much better. 

We got a couple of fave restaurants there. Awesome food and cheaper than a city restaurant. Tourist area with country prices...applies to most things there

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

While we're at it, hotel we normally stay great location and everything else but breakfast a bit ordinary. Can anyone recommend a good buffet breaky somewhere?

KC Grande.

Very good choice and decent quality......not too far behind the JW Marriott in Khao Lak.

11 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

KC Grande.

Very good choice and decent quality......not too far behind the JW Marriott in Khao Lak.

Thanks for that ???? You can walk in and pay for breakfast without staying there? Any idea of cost?

35 minutes ago, Real Name Hidden said:

I just returned from two weeks on Koh Chang, my third visit this year. It rained nearly every day, sometimes 4 or 5 times, but the weather starts improving in October.  I spent the entire time in Kai Bae, a week at the Awa Resort and a week at the Gajapuri Resort. Kai Bae has  very nice resorts and the best restaurants (Mordi & Fugi, El Barrio, Good Luck Seafood) and nightlife area on the island. 

Of course it rained, wettest island in Thailand.

19 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

It was suppose to be a national park protected island was how it was billed 25 years ago. Just another tourist trap now with a massive ferry carrying cars back and forth to the island.

Far from a tourist trap. Most untouristy tropical island I've ever been to. No high rise, real village feel and everything so cheap. Infact theirs not much to do but enjoy the natural surroundings

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jeff the Chef said:

We're going to KC Grande on the 22nd for 12 nights, never been before but it does look good, on the hillside with ocean view.

Hillside is 'over the road'. Like many hotels on that coastal strip they have rooms on the beach side of the road, and hillside 

Quite a distant ocean view but you should pick up some glorious sunsets. 

19 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Anyone live there have any idea if it is a busy time or not? We don't like the crowds ????

You should enjoy yourself then, no big crowds here at the moment, weekends/public holidays get busier with Thai's.

I did start a link here called "Koh Chang Link'' you could check that out.  

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I think last time we came high season just after Covid was like a ghost town. No one on the beach and so many businesses boarded up

At least our beaches never closed, so many other places were like ghost towns all over Thailand.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jeff the Chef said:

We're going to KC Grande on the 22nd for 12 nights, never been before but it does look good, on the hillside with ocean view.

If you want to eat at a very good restaurant, walk down to *Pen's Bungalows* next door to KC (not to be confused with penny's not in white sand) you can breakfast there also, but don't expect service till at least 9.30am

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I stayed at Kacha hotel, great buffet right on the beach.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EVENKEEL said:

I stayed at Kacha hotel, great buffet right on the beach.

Yeah, always liked the Kacha resort. The bungalows on the beach are excellent for the price.

The OP should note (as pointed out by other posters)  that the island gets a tremendous amount of rainfall from now 'til December, and sometimes roads get closed due to mudslides, fallen trees, etc.