Rogue Immigration Officer?

To activate my 60 day tourist Visa i had to purch

ase a departure ticket on the spot.  Reasoning was i stay Thailand too MUT.....lol.

In the last 12 months i have stayed in Thailand 10 months.   2 60 day tourist visa and the rest on visa on arrivals.  Not once did i enter by land border.  Twice i flew out of Thailand to SIN for a week before returning to Thailand to activate my 60 day visas.

Inquiring how i should do things in the furture he said to get a diiferent visa.................

Edited by Marky Mark Mark

They just say random things, if it was worse enough, you would been first directed to another supervisor, who would then still let you in too. So take it with a pinch of salt, just to have the onward ticket and money is not that uncommon, specially if you come often.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

Does it matter if you enter Swampy as opposed to Don Mueang.

I recall Don Mueang comes up more as unfriendly...........

Vietnam....i saw someone write out of 100 who visit as tourist only 5 would return.

Thailand... out of 100 who visit 100 want to return......see the issue.

Edited by Marky Mark Mark
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Marky Mark Mark said:

Does it matter if you enter Swampy as opposed to Don Mueang.

I recall Don Mueang comes up more as unfriendly...........

That notion stems from 2019 when refused entry occured at.both Bangkok airports.

In particular DMK.

With extensive history flying into CNX better option..

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

20 minutes ago, Marky Mark Mark said:

Vietnam....i saw someone write out of 100 who visit as tourist only 5 would return.

Thailand... out of 100 who visit 100 want to return......see the issue.

And I saw someone write the world is still flat.

• Confused 1

48 minutes ago, Marky Mark Mark said:

To activate my 60 day tourist Visa i had to purch

ase a departure ticket on the spot.  Reasoning was i stay Thailand too MUT.....lol.

In the last 12 months i have stayed in Thailand 10 months.   2 60 day tourist visa and the rest on visa on arrivals.  Not once did i enter by land border.  Twice i flew out of Thailand to SIN for a week before returning to Thailand to activate my 60 day visas.

Inquiring how i should do things in the furture he said to get a diiferent visa.................

1. 60 day tourist visa, I presume it was a SETV?

2. Which airport did you enter from?

3. Did you purchase one of those $7 or $14 "booking" tickets out of the country that is usually recommended on this forum?

Edited by bbi1

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

You in a bad mood today Bob? don't forget many people have to use multiple tourist visas and border runs until they can eventually move to retirement

That may have been the case when retirement was over 60 but with current 50 should not be an issue for most - assuming they have the financials.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marky Mark Mark said:

To activate my 60 day tourist Visa i had to purchase a departure ticket on the spot.  Reasoning was i stay Thailand too MUT.....lol.

What I don't get is that you're supposed to already have an onward flight to get issued a tourist visa in the first place?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

That's the issue.

There are no rules regarding visa exempt entries via air.

Visa exempt entries via land have a clear rule. 

"Two per calendar year" 

As for entry via air there is no limit.

It's "up to io discretion" 

Make it same as land entries that has a stated limit. Problem solved.

It's the stupidity of Thai immigration rules or lack of rules that's the issue. 

What has any of that to do with OP arriving on a Tourist Visa?

• Like 1

To be clear, what the OP does, and what happens to him has no affect on me at all.  And I wish him well. 

But he needs to be ready for the possibility that the IO he encountered wasn't a rogue, but simply doing his job.  The OP probably won't be barred on his next entry, but maybe he will, and he needs to be prepared for that possibility.

I also wonder how any new tax rules will affect him...  (Edit:  I'm waiting for the new tax rules to roll in and the first time someone gets stopped on the way in or out and asked "I see you spent 240 days in Thailand last year...  Where is your tax document?"  Not wishing it will happen, but stranger things have)

Edited by impulse
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, bob smith said:

why not just move to Thailand at 50 when the retirement law kicks in instead of abusing the visa system and making life more difficult for us law abiding folk?

because some of us wanted to come younger than 50, it's just a spurious age

3 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

What has any of that to do with OP arriving on a Tourist Visa?

I was replying to a particular post..

There are daily threads similar to this thread..

The main reason for that is visa exempt entries via air have no stated limit.

If they did there would be little reasons for threads such as these and we would have clarity

Edited by DrJack54
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, bob smith said:

why not just move to Thailand at 50 when the retirement law kicks in instead of abusing the visa system and making life more difficult for us law abiding folk?

ah so the truth is finally revealed eh Bogs. you don't care about Thailand, just yourself. was wondering why you suddenly went from hating the place to its defender. unless you're bipolar?

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

If they did there would be little reasons for threads such as these and we would have clarity

The post you replied to never mentioned visa exempt entries so again, what does visa exempt entries have to do with this thread other than you ranting about them? OP arrived on a tourist visa

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

For some it is, they can retire much younger, no need to work

And most of them could stay with investment/education/marriage type visa or travel enough to just use normal tourist stays.  50 is a very reasonable retirement age requirement in my opinion (and I did retire at 50). 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I don't advocate a limit on arrivals by air simply because I'm planning on monthly air arrivals for the foreseeable future, but I only spend a week at a time (on visa exempt).  IMO, the more appropriate limit would be total days in country by visa type, but I don't really advocate that, either.  Just saying that would be more appropriate than to limit the number of air arrivals.

Edited by impulse

9 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

How is he a rogue?

Could a Thai do what you have done in your country?

No, because his country likely has clearly defined and rules on how much time one can spend there each year as a tourist. Thailand doesn't, nor do they define what is meant by "tourism purposes".

Anyway this subject has been done to death, no point raking over old coals, although it is somewhat useful to find out who the faux moralists are. 

• Thumbs Up 1