BBC iPlayer

doctormann

A bit of a puzzle.

Using NORDVPN to access the BBC iPlayer works perfectly on my Linux notebook PC, running the Brave browser.

Trying the same thing on my Android phone I just get the 'iPlayer only works in the UK' message.

Why would this be?  Same browser, same VPN server.  Different hardware, of course but all else is basically the same.

Any thoughts?

I use both Chrome & Edge, and NORD VPN. 

In Windows 11 (and 10) if you go onto say, BBC iPlayer, or ITVx, or All4 or My 5, or almost ANY website, you can press Alt F, which open a windows on the right. Choose App, and then Install as an app, with desktop or start shortcut. No browser then needed.

17 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I use both Chrome & Edge, and NORD VPN. 

In Windows 11 (and 10) if you go onto say, BBC iPlayer, or ITVx, or All4 or My 5, or almost ANY website, you can press Alt F, which open a windows on the right. Choose App, and then Install as an app, with desktop or start shortcut. No browser then needed.

This works on an Android phone? ????

1 hour ago, doctormann said:

Trying the same thing on my Android phone I just get the 'iPlayer only works in the UK' message.

Why would this be?  Same browser, same VPN server. 

Does the browser (and therefore iPlayer) have permission to see your phone location?

I can get the iPlayer to work using Brave and NordVPN on my Android - I just checked.

Edited by Stocky

• 5 months later...

This also happens on ExpressVPN sometimes. It's to do with assigned ip address by the vpn provider. If too many people are assigned the same ip and BBC detects that, then it blocks it as a vpn access. 

Need to disconnect and reconnect the vpn to get another ip, or connect to another UK server...