HELP! Well pump electric mess!

STD Warehouse

Monsoon may arrive where we live shortly and I want to get the electric cable that runs to the well pump off the ground in case of flooding.

Which type of 2.5x2 cable should I use? That black cable that’s very flexible, or that white cable that is quite stiff?

Also should I run a conduit along the wall with the cable inside? Or do I need to gets some concrete posts to suspend it from?

See pictures below

I fell the whole system is a complete mess and any advice is very much appreciated, thank you!

P.S. that cable in the box that doesn't seem to terminate with anything, is not live, theres no electric in it according to my multimeter reading.

Screen Shot 2566-10-14 at 13.23.58.png

Screen Shot 2566-10-14 at 13.51.53.png

Screen Shot 2566-10-14 at 13.50.50.png

Screen Shot 2566-10-14 at 13.49.11.png

Screen Shot 2566-10-14 at 13.35.27.png

Screen Shot 2566-10-14 at 13.33.54.png

Screen Shot 2566-10-14 at 13.31.16.png

Screen Shot 2566-10-14 at 13.28.31.png

Screen Shot 2566-10-14 at 13.25.11.png

Pretty much any type of cable can be run in above-ground conduit so long as the cable itself is never exposed to the damp or sunlight (UV).

If you want to run the cable naked then you will need NYY insulated and sheathed, that's good for outdoor use and burial in ground.

If what you have is working OK then you can simply replace each run with something more suitable for the environment.

8 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Pretty much any type of cable can be run in above-ground conduit so long as the cable itself is never exposed to the damp or sunlight (UV).

If you want to run the cable naked then you will need NYY insulated and sheathed, that's good for outdoor use and burial in ground.

If what you have is working OK then you can simply replace each run with something more suitable for the environment.

Thank you!

Do you think its okay run the cable along the wall by attaching some conduit to it and cable through that?

7 minutes ago, STD Warehouse said:

Do you think its okay run the cable along the wall by attaching some conduit to it and cable through that?

Sounds ok to me, make the conduit high enough so that it doesn't get the wet in it.

I would also make the conduit bigger than you think it should be, makes life easier getting the cable in.

17 hours ago, STD Warehouse said:

I fell the whole system is a complete mess

Me too...... ????

First photo doesn't add up to your explanation.............is power coming directly into this "switch box" first or does it come via the float switch.

i.e. what is the small black cable lower left connected to the "house pump" switch? Is that the cable going to your house pump 

Cannot say for certain (too little detail)  but it certainly "looks like" someone was after some free power with that extra cable...... ????

Edited by bluejets
  • Like 1

On 10/15/2023 at 7:18 AM, bluejets said:

Me too...... ????

First photo doesn't add up to your explanation.............is power coming directly into this "switch box" first or does it come via the float switch.

i.e. what is the small black cable lower left connected to the "house pump" switch? Is that the cable going to your house pump 

Cannot say for certain (too little detail)  but it certainly "looks like" someone was after some free power with that extra cable...... ????

Yes that small black cable goes to a pump that pumps water directly to the house, so thats not the pump next to the water well. We have two pumps one from well to tank and then one inline from tank to house.

I thought perhaps power comes via the float switch in the tank, but cant see how that happens as the top breaker has a feed to the bottom breaker and that feed is always providing power as the bottom breaker always has power flowing to the inline pump to the house.