Visa exemption limits

Hello! I’d much welcome your advice and any guidance. 

I have a UK passport. I’ve travelled to Thailand once for two weeks just over a year ago on a visa exemption with no problems and that’s my only history with the country. 

I’m arriving in a couple of weeks time for a week in Bangkok intending to seek a. Visa exemption at the airport. Thereafter, I am in Cambodia and Vietnam before returning to Phuket after about fortnight. I figured that this would be permitted after some research: a second 30 day visa exemption. I then have an internal flight after four days on Phuket to U-Tapao for another two weeks in Thailand. However, after a stay in Rayong, I’m now thinking of a hop to Lao for a few days before returning to Bangkok for a few days before my flight home. This would be three visa exemptions over a five week period, all by flight and all with confirmation of future flights and a confirmed return booking to the UK. 

It is clearly tourism but I don’t have time now for a multiple entry visa application as I leave in two weeks (and there are occasions in the six months, perhaps only one or two, where by current account balance has dipped below £5k). No stay goes beyond 30 days but will three visa exempt entries by air over five weeks raise immigration officers’ eyebrows? If so, I will simply come back from Vietnam to Phuket with a new 30 day visa exemption stamp and stay in Thailand taking only internal flights, as I can’t risk being denied entry. 

Thanks I’m advance for any guidance. 

You should have no problems. It seems all your planned entries into Thailand will be by air and (as you say) you are clearly a short stay tourist. With travel plans like yours, the only concern would be if you wanted more than two entries through land crossings.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1