Need a genius to sort this out....please.

Will B Good

1 minute ago, Thailand said:

Google Maps app for Android: Tap your profile picture in the top right, tap Settings > Navigation settings > Voice selection > a language. To also adjust the text language go to Settings > App language.

Thanks....language not a problem.

To also adjust the text language go to Settings > App language........is that the Phone 'settings' or Google maps 'settings'?......

All the settings for Google maps read English

WhatsApp Image 2023-10-16 at 14.21.31.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

as long as it gets me where i need to go the language is not a biggie for me if cant fix it

????.......no 'way'.............got to get stuff like this sorted......555

Walking it's okay, but use it all the time driving around Bangkok......one turning error and you could add an hour to a 30 min journey.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, moogradod said:

If you are on the Tang Duan system over BKK and take a wrong turn, you may safely add one hour. Happened to us. Sometime the highways find again together like a miracle - if you are lucky. But a top notch GPS is needed for BKK. On a small scale our car build in GPS is excellent for Bangkok and we us Google Maps in parallel which is better on a large scale. But they may constructing a new highway and relocate the traffic. This plus an accident and then dont forget your comfort device.

...and don't drive underneath the Expressway ????

On 10/16/2023 at 2:52 PM, Will B Good said:

Walking it's okay, but use it all the time driving around Bangkok......one turning error and you could add an hour to a 30 min journey.

i would never drive in BKK......let alone hang out there....but thats me ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:
On 10/16/2023 at 10:52 AM, Will B Good said:

Been driving in BKK Since the early 2000's...  before sat nav.

It used to get interesting... I'd find myself lost and driving around until I saw a sign I recognised... helped me learn the city. 

Really, driving in BKK is piece of pish...   its just traffic, thats all it is, like anywhere else. 

But, as some have pointed out - make a wrong turn and you have to be prepared for it to take a while to recover... I think thats why many drive so poorly, they are so hesitant and scared of making a wrong turn... Or they make a wrong turn and want to U-turn in a really daft spot etc... 

Sat-navs are incredible for those who are able to comfortably drive in traffic in a new area without feeling panicked or stressed...  I can see why the Op really wants to get his sorted.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Been driving in BKK Since the early 2000's...  before sat nav.

It used to get interesting... I'd find myself lost and driving around until I saw a sign I recognised... helped me learn the city. 

Really, driving in BKK is piece of pish...   its just traffic, thats all it is, like anywhere else. 

But, as some have pointed out - make a wrong turn and you have to be prepared for it to take a while to recover... I think thats why many drive so poorly, they are so hesitant and scared of making a wrong turn... Or they make a wrong turn and want to U-turn in a really daft spot etc... 

Sat-navs are incredible for those who are able to comfortably drive in traffic in a new area without feeling panicked or stressed...  I can see why the Op really wants to get his sorted.

im on my motorbike or bike...never drive a car here so maybe a bit easier for me to turn around

• Like 1

On 10/16/2023 at 2:05 PM, Will B Good said:

Google maps, android phone, navigation/directions.

Voice is set to English, works fine, but directions in text have suddenly, of their own accord, switched to Thai.

How do I change the text back to English? 

Any instructions will have to clear and concise so even an idiot can follow them.

WhatsApp Image 2023-10-16 at 13.58.07.jpeg

Unfortunately nothing is idiot proof nowadays.

Idiots are getting dumber or smarter, (I am not sure which).  😀 😀

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Tried driving through Bangkok twice using Garmin GPS. Got hopelessly lost twice. First time ended up in Monument Square. That was 16 years ago, it was luck more than judgement that I'm not still crawling around their now. Took me eight hours to get from Pattaya to Kanchanaburi!

• Haha 1

Try going into Google (not Maps) and change region to UK (for you) instead of Current.  I ran into this before on Chrome when it displayed the year unlike that used in English countries.

google.com/preferences, Other setttings>Language and Region to UK from Current.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sheist said:

Try going into Google (not Maps) and change region to UK (for you) instead of Current.  I ran into this before on Chrome when it displayed the year unlike that used in English countries.

google.com/preferences, Other setttings>Language and Region to UK from Current.

Nice idea...but no go.....thanks anyway.

To the OP.  I was looking at your screenshot. As you see some of the streets are showing in only Thai and some also in English. 
Im guessing that Google Maps for Navigation is going to visually show you the names as they appear physically.  And not going to translate the text for them.  Just give you verbal directions in English. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, swm59nj said:

To the OP.  I was looking at your screenshot. As you see some of the streets are showing in only Thai and some also in English. 
Im guessing that Google Maps for Navigation is going to visually show you the names as they appear physically.  And not going to translate the text for them.  Just give you verbal directions in English. 

Yes....correct...the annoying part is that it all used to be in English???....and only switch recently to Thai text...spoken English