Ranks and Badges after "Maintenance"

moogradod

Ranks and Badges have not been matching with the posts already for a long time. Now you performed again a bigger maintenance yesterday. So 10000 post members are again newbies. Not that this would be crucial but it still leaves a bit of a taste of disappointment. I suspect this will never be corrected or will you make an effort again to get it really right  ?

• Like 2

On 10/19/2023 at 2:21 AM, blackcab said:

Due to the size of the database the re-indexing process will take 7-10 days. Let's see how things look after that.

Hopefully much better!

To be honest when reading above I thought it would not get better in terms of restoring ranks since a similar projection was made many months ago after another major upgrade took everybody down to Newbie status but the projection was made re-indexing would restore ranks.  But a few weeks later it was revealed the re-indexing didn't work as hoped...a future software patch would be needed to fix things.

But I noticed last night my rank had moved up to Senior...this morning it was at Silver...and now it's at Gold....hopefully it will continue and I'll be put back at Star with my around 27,000 posts over 16 years.  Good to see the re-indexing fixing the ranks.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pib said:

To be honest when reading above I thought it would not get better in terms of restoring ranks since a similar projection was made many months ago after another major upgrade took everybody down to Newbie status but the projection was made re-indexing would restore ranks.  But a few weeks later it was revealed the re-indexing didn't work as hoped...a future software patch would be needed to fix things.

But I noticed last night my rank had moved up to Senior...this morning it was at Silver...and now it's at Gold....hopefully it will continue and I'll be put back at Star with my around 27,000 posts over 16 years.  Good to see the re-indexing fixing the ranks.  

Correction...I'm now at Platinum.  The re-indexing is definitely working.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

I really do not care what my rank and badge is... just would like to see friendly usable selections being offered... like "clear notifications" and "top of page" etc.

Top of page is installed, you can use it now. Clear notifications is taking a bit longer.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/21/2023 at 7:49 PM, Pib said:

Correction...I'm now at Platinum.  The re-indexing is definitely working.

Update: yesterday morning I noticed I was now at Ruby....stayed there all day...but this morning I see I'm up another notch to Diamond.  Re-indexing is indeed working.  One more notch for me to go based on my understanding of the system and assuming "points" required for a certain rank really means "number of posts."

And now I have no rank...not even Newbie.  Even those folks with made-up ranks no longer reflect anything.  Just see the person's handle,  profile picture and a post count.  That's one way to get rid of the rank issue.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Pib said:

And now I have no rank...not even Newbie.  Even those folks with made-up ranks no longer reflect anything.  Just see the person's handle,  profile picture and a post count.  That's one way to get rid of the rank issue.

Me too..

Unfortunate, because as it shows now, no indication of the credibility of a poster..

• Haha 1

On 10/22/2023 at 5:13 AM, Skipalongcassidy said:

I really do not care what my rank and badge is... just would like to see friendly usable selections being offered... like "clear notifications" and "top of page" etc.

Well, they've fixed that, thankfully, but why don't they use a font size that can actually be read without having to go to +150 zoom every time?.  And why is the font such a feint colour, not black, I wonder?

• Like 1

On 10/23/2023 at 6:07 PM, bobbin said:
On 10/23/2023 at 2:45 PM, Pib said:

Me too..

Unfortunate, because as it shows now, no indication of the credibility of a poster..

That ranking never did show the poster's "credibility", only the member's posts can do that!

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That ranking never did show the poster's "credibility", only the member's posts can do that!

I do not know who invented the "sad" and "confused" emojis, they are really meaningless. But a "Thank you", "helpful" "not helpful" alone would do - as it is is done at YouTube for example. #of total posts would as well not be so bad.

Edited by moogradod

The font I normally use is Comic Sans MS with a font size of 14 (the size is variable from 8 to 36) and the automatic colour is black.

It can be made Bold with a single click and has other colours as well.

It is of course from MS Windows. and is probably free for use as well.

On 10/29/2023 at 5:37 PM, moogradod said:

I think this is the most serious open issue. Is it so dificult to see that the current font is not really well usable. How much more comfort could be achieved with only some small changes (Size, Color).

This is something worth escalating. Now lets see some more 2 weeks when the "maintenance" is really finished. If it is not better then we slould find the one who decides these things and talk to him directly. I doubt that this is the forum support. Must be some more steps higher.

I really like the new font.  Its clean and modern.  It's also nice and small and looks way better on my 4K display.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Pib said:

I see the ranks are back but shows in a different way....now requires a person to hover their cursor over the symbol on the lower left corner of a person's profile image.

image.png.c60412b07503d80ad60eb3cbec9703de.png

Here it's discussed in the Community Pub: