Casual observations /questions from a newly arrived Farang from America

charleskerins

2 hours ago, charleskerins said:

Food is good and not fattening. My doctor said their diet is the best in the world?

Thai food is loaded with lowest grade cooking oils and has little protein, thus the cheap price. I eat a Thai food diet but these are not good things.

2 hours ago, charleskerins said:

Roadwork crews are not safety conscious.

Some people today blocked off a road which a bridge and there was no other way around except a 20 minutes detour. Do they care? Of course not, that's just how people are here. Don't care, it's your problem. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, proton said:

Social media is full of praise from tourists vlogging about this street food muck, they never seem to notice this, or the rats and cockroaches running about. Food courts are far better, but not so photogenic.

Restaurants have best food

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

Thai people are pretty friendly......I would agree.

Food is good and not fattening. My doctor said their diet is the best in the world? Proper Thai/Isaan food....yes

Roadwork crews are not safety conscious........Hopeless not a scooby

Do they know what a bulldozer is? Too expensive. Myanmar labour is much cheaper.

Why don't they wear sunglasses? No bridge to their nose's.

Last one -please don't comment on this one it will upset me too much   WTH is the story with how some of them treat man's best friend? Still going to comment.....they are not pets like in the west.....totally expendable. MIL has had four this year.....dead from worms, ran one over, poisoning......they just don't care. 

Damn  

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

So he is saying that Pad Thai is healthy?

Is  mango and sticky rice healthy?

This particular doctor has obviously never been to the Mediterranean.

Obviously he has since his wife is from the MED , he has been to the MED quite often and made it  a point that the Thai diet is superior to the MED diet.

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

My doctor said their diet is the best in the world?

Has doctor been to Thailand? Some Thai food is healthy.  Some Thai food is not.  Some Thai food has a lot of added sugar.  I would disagree with your doctor.  

Another misguided expert, he should just stick with pushing drugs as a cure-all for everything. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Sugar, salt and MSG, combined with really bad cooking oil is prevalent all over Thailand, unless you are eating very high class. Even then, you do not know what is going into it. Thais will then usually add more sugar, chilli into it.

White rice three times a day, or Mama noodles is not health food.

What's 15lbs in kilos?

yummy, double yummy, triple yummy

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, charleskerins said:

Obviously he has since his wife is from the MED , he has been to the MED quite often and made it  a point that the Thai diet is superior to the MED diet.

The Thai diet, prepared correctly, is definitely in the top 10 worldwide. The Okinawan is supposedly the best, followed by the Mediterranean, Japan, Sardinia, Greek, Costa Rica and Loma Linda CA, not in any particular order, as they're all at the top. All depends on who's doing the cooking also. Thai food can be healthy or unhealthy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Just on the subject of tummy upsets: When we lived in BKK (Asoke) I used to get upsets regularly until the day I made a connection between the roadside stalls, the stinky sewers only a metre below, and seeing one of the stall owners washing his dishes under a wayside tap and thinking: So where did that water come from?

Never had a problem since then.

Same here,when I 1st arrived on these shores I used to eat street cart food a lot because it was handy.. I also had Imodium with me .I finally figured out why I needed the meds all the time.Not needed it since I stopped eating from the carts.Even my Thai old lady doesn't use them much anymore.

On 10/19/2023 at 9:31 AM, charleskerins said:

Food is good and not fattening. My doctor said their diet is the best in the world?

If a high-sugar and high-salt diet is the best in the world then who am I to argue with your doctor 🤣

PS Look for another doctor

I think you need to consult another doctor! 

Sugar

MSG

Sodium

Toxic cooking oil

Flavour enhancers

That's the very short list but after your food in the USA Thai food is probably ok

Edited by paul1804

"It is fair to say that the increasing rate of eating disorders, Japan has the highest rate of prevalence, followed by Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan, and South Korea. Then following are the Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, China, and Vietnam." Mar 1, 2560 BE

https://www.eatingdisorderhope.com

"Obesity in Thailand has been flagged as a major source of health concern, with 32% of the population identifying as overweight and 9% obese." https://en.m.wikipedia

However,

"People in Thailand have a higher life expectancy compared to other countries in Southeast Asia, with an average life expectancy of approximately 78 years. Despite the developments in healthcare, there are still some continuing population health issues." Sep 8, 2566 BE  https://www.statista.com

Not to be outdone:

"Cancer is the leading cause of death in Thailand and mortality is steadily increasing ... to 120.5 deaths per 100,000 population in 2017."  https://www.jto.org

"Approximately 60% of the cancer burden in Thailand is due to five types of cancers: breast, cervix, colorectal, liver and lung cancers."  Aug. 17, 2560  https://www.ncbi.named.nih.gov

• Like 1

On 10/19/2023 at 9:41 AM, sqwakvfr said:

My doctor said their diet is the best in the world?

Has doctor been to Thailand? Some Thai food is healthy.  Some Thai food is not.  Some Thai food has a lot of added sugar.  I would disagree with your doctor.  

Delicious … yes. Healthy? Go with the Mediterranean Diet.