Casual observations /questions from a newly arrived Farang from America

charleskerins

1 hour ago, Puccini said:

Thais read and pronounce the word as it is written in Thai.

Yes, that's what I said and what your translate example shows, although you have to click on the Thai audio to actually understand it as the English subtext is unitelligible for most people.

I'm assuming that the Thai audio audio is correct or at least as close as possible. The second syllable clearly says with a "W" sound. If I had never seen the garbled official English translation and only heard the audio, if asked I would transliterate it as "Suwannapoom" and not "Suvannapoom" as you stated earlier.

There's no "V" sound in there at all so I'm not sure why it is used in the official name, I guess it looks more "dignified", like adding "S" to the end of "Lao" just to confuse everybody. Or so we'll call it "Louse" and sound totally stupid 😂

Could contain:

1 hour ago, Puccini said:

Thais read and pronounce the word as it is written in Thai. They do not read and pronounce any of the various romanisations or phonetic transcriptions of the word.

Unless one has some knowledge of other languages, it is perhaps difficult to understand that speakers of different languages use different phonetic transcriptions for the same Thai word. For example, a French speaker hearing the airport's name in Thai would most likely transcribe it as Souvannapoum or Souvanapoum.

Not all Thai words are pronouced as written. 

Thai food could be quite healthy but in modern reality, usually isn't.

Your doctor might have been talking about the herbs like galangal, which are really good.

But they have to compete with all the salt, sugar, rancid oil, bacteria from poor storage in the hot sun, etc.

However, MSG which is often used contrary to racist western myths, is perfectly fine. 

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Thai food could be quite healthy but in modern reality, usually isn't.

Your doctor might have been talking about the herbs like galangal, which are really good.

But they have to compete with all the salt, sugar, rancid oil, bacteria from poor storage in the hot sun, etc.

However, MSG which is often used contrary to racist western myths, is perfectly fine. 

Don't understand how disliking or being anti MSG is in anyway racist. 

• Like 2

On 10/21/2023 at 3:47 PM, John Drake said:

One healthy thing I do think Thai lifestyle lends itself to for Americans is relative lack of car culture. In the US, I wouldn't be surprised that a large amount of the population doesn't even walk 100-200 yards per day. A few feet to the bathroom or kitchen, then a few to the recliner. Walk maybe 30 or 40 ft. to the car on the way to the big trip for the day, the 50-60 ft. trip to the office and back. My life here lends itself naturally to walking at least 8 or 9 km per day. More active around the house too. 

That's just you.  If it's more than about 50 meters Thais get on a bike. 

On 10/19/2023 at 10:00 AM, Northstar1 said:

Thai food is some of the most UNHEALTHY food in the world!

period!

Yeah, I can think of numerous healthier cuisines: Greek, Spanish, Lebanese,  Mexican, Japanese,  and even good old fashioned meat n' two veg from the UK!

3 hours ago, Artisi said:

Don't understand how disliking or being anti MSG is in anyway racist. 

Everything is racist these days. So many radical snowflakes about.

I read an article that white people in America are racist for drinking coffee.

Ironically,  the article itself was racist towards whites, lol

• Confused 1

On 10/22/2023 at 2:35 AM, Puccini said:

Since you are new to this forum, here's a friendly nudge: post the link to a text you quote. I'll do it for you this time:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwid1vui74eCAxXH6qQKHTpNCCUQFnoECAkQAw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ezthairestaurant.net%2Fblog%2Fare-there-health-benefits-of-thai-cuisine%23%3A~%3Atext%3DThai%20food%20is%20packed%20with%2Calso%20provide%20added%20health%20benefits.&usg=AOvVaw1bpGYMRl0SXlSfS9srDx22&opi=89978449

Are you saying that it was not your doctor, but the website of a restaurant in Thailand where you got your information about Thai food being healthy?

Hey Paisan ,here's a friendly nudge -I don't need to post links when people attack "casual observations"  the post was just what it claimed to be casual observations. I stated very clearly what my doctor said ,if other posters don't agree so be it.   I personally don't care ; in fact I am amused by the vitriol which casual observations  has caused.I will add that I have purchased Bertolli oil for cooking since I don't want to be a victim of recycled oil. I also find it curious that some on this site think there must be some rite of passage and de facto rules for posting -nope not buying.   CIAO

1 hour ago, FruitPudding said:

Yeah, I can think of numerous healthier cuisines: Greek, Spanish, Lebanese,  Mexican, Japanese,  and even good old fashioned meat n' two veg from the UK!

Capitalized quotes !    Means it must be true accentuated with a period  . You mad bro?

• Confused 2

On 10/19/2023 at 10:49 AM, fredwiggy said:

Thai food has the potential to be as healthy as any other foods. The problem is in who prepares it. I've had Thai hundreds of times before I moved here in the US, where there are stringent regulations and checks on restaurants, where they have to pass a health exam to stay in business. Here it's very lax, and of course there is the thousands of shops and stalls which aren't regulated. The ingredients in Thai food, the basics being meat, fish, eggs , vegetables and fruit aren't the problem, nor are the fresh spices put in, along with fresh oil. It's oil that's been left out and reused many times, on different days, the overuse of salt and sugar in many dishes, something that doesn't happen in the restaurants I've visited back in the states. Meat that's been left out all day, gathering more bacteria, and hopefully fully cooked because of it. I've never had more stomach trouble in my life than since I've lived here. I eat the same things I ate back home, which I never had trouble from, with the addition of Thai food cooked locally.

#5 on this list     Hmmm       https://www.goodto.com/wellbeing/health/healthiest-diets-in-the-world

• Haha 1

On 10/20/2023 at 7:15 PM, Dan O said:

Well your the one that posted, so don't post if you don't want comments. As for the quality of comments, seems your fitting in perfectly with getting butt hurt when people tell you the truth. Welcome to the forum 

I missed the part where someone told me the truth instead of rambling on and being refuted ."Butthurt"    Wow very articulate    
"accuse the other side of that which you are guilty"                                                                                   Here's a clue when someone posts an observation/opinion there is no  "truth". 

7 hours ago, charleskerins said:

I missed the part where someone told me the truth instead of rambling on and being refuted ."Butthurt"    Wow very articulate    
"accuse the other side of that which you are guilty"                                                                                   Here's a clue when someone posts an observation/opinion there is no  "truth". 

Here's an observation, posting on an open forum gets you comments and replies. Don't like replies, don't post. Pretty simple.