Question concerning new foreign income tax

9 minutes ago, Dan O said:

You need to read the DTA to see what it says. I have a US Social Security benefit that I don't pay any tax on but I'm exempt per the DTA from taxes in Thailand and elsewhere 

1          Pensions and other payments for past employment as well as annuities derived by a resident of a Contracting State may be taxed in the other Contracting State only if such payments are deducted  as expenses in determining the profits of an enterprise of that other State or of a permanent establishment situated therein.

2          Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph 1, pensions and other payments for past employment as well as annuities paid by or out of funds created by a Contracting State, a Land, a political subdivision, local authority or local administration thereof shall be exempt from tax in the other Contracting State.

From that it would seem that I don't need to pay tax ?

8 hours ago, soalbundy said:

1          Pensions and other payments for past employment as well as annuities derived by a resident of a Contracting State may be taxed in the other Contracting State only if such payments are deducted  as expenses in determining the profits of an enterprise of that other State or of a permanent establishment situated therein.

2          Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph 1, pensions and other payments for past employment as well as annuities paid by or out of funds created by a Contracting State, a Land, a political subdivision, local authority or local administration thereof shall be exempt from tax in the other Contracting State.

From that it would seem that I don't need to pay tax ?

Not sure of your country but It would appear so but you need to read the whole DTA to make sure theres nothing else that would change that.

I'm from Canada.

Do a google search for: -Convention Between Canada and the Kingdom of Thailand- and you will find the following…

Re: Contracting States. If he has an habitual abode in both States or in neither of them, he shall be deemed to be a resident of the State of which he is a national.

Article 18

Pensions

1. Pensions and other similar remuneration, whether they consist of periodic or non-periodic payments, for past employment, arising in a Contracting State and paid to a resident or the other Contracting State shall be taxable only in the first-mentioned State.

2. For the purpose of paragraph 1 such remuneration for past employment shall be deemed to arise in a Contracting State if the payer is that State itself, a political subdivision, a local authority or a resident of that State. Where, however, the person paying such income, whether he is a resident of a Contracting State or not, has in a Contracting State a permanent establishment, and such income is borne by such permanent establishment, then such income shall be deemed to arise in the Contracting State in which the permanent establishment is situated.

... so as I understand it, because of this agreement I am not required to pay tax in Thailand.